The Only Carrying 1 QB "Strategy" (or, am I nuts?) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Only Carrying 1 QB "Strategy" (or, am I nuts?)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:23 pm

The reason to grab multiple QBs is that QBs almost always increase in value. For some reason, people get excited when a QB has a huge game and seeing all those points. Since QBs score more than other positions people often make bad trades when trading a wr for a qb. Or maybe a RB for a QB.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:40 pm

I always go into the season with multiple QBs. Not only for bye weeks and injury replacement (QBs get injured a lot in the NFL), but for favorable matchups as well. There are very few QBs in fantasy that you want to start 15 weeks a year IMO....

Since I'm never willing to put a high pick down on a stud QB, you gotta have those QBs in numbers so you can play the matchups. Multiple QBs on your roster can be deadly when you use them in favorable matchups. Why not use a 11th, 12th, 14th round pick on a guy like Brian Griese, Steve McNair, etc, instead of a sleeper WR..

Go into the season with only 1 QB and you might get lucky and find a Jon Kitna(2003-waiver wire top10 QB) or a Drew Brees(2004-waiver wire top10 QB) on the waiver wire. But at the same time you missed out on the Matt Hasselbeck (2003-later round pick #4 QB) and Jake Plummer (2004-later round pick #5 QB).

Why not try for both?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby RubeRiot » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:24 pm

I never carry more than 1 QB...unless in a league that requires it...and it always seems to work out pretty well. As the season progresses, I'm usually able to determine who'll be a good bye-week pickup. And othertimes, there's a break-out QB that went undrafted, so I drop a bust from my roster and pick-up some QB replacement/insurance.

You should be fine! ;-D
RubeRiot
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby tms298 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:30 pm

You have a good enough team to not have to do such a high risk/medium reward tactic like having 1QB. I would've taken the Caddy for Plummer trade as Caddy won't leave your bench and will have marginal value when people realize he has taken over Pittman's role-lots of yards, no touchdowns.
tms298
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In central PA, getting choked out by the stench of Steelers fans

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:41 pm

I hate this strategy. Not only do I carry 2 or more, but always get 2 GOOD QBs. QBs can be so up-and-down, and defensive matchups can be brutal or a Godsend. Therefore, I'll play my inferior QB usually if he has a more favorable matchup.

Also, last year, I drafted one QB in the 6th (which was supposed to be good value for this guy). Since he was coming off of an MVP year, I figured he'd definitely be a good-enough QB to carry me throughout the season. And therefore, I wouldn't need to draft another QB until the later rounds. That QB was obviously Steve McNair.

In short: DRAFT 2 QBs... BECAUSE THEY ARE UP-AND-DOWN, INJURY PRONE, AND MATCHUPS MATTER MORE.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Berge20 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:02 pm

Retet wrote:In all, I think drafting a quality 2nd QB is worth it long term. I tend to draft QBs late (5, 6, 7, 8 rounds), and I tend to go back to back (QB then another QB). Why? Because the QBs at that draft position have some aspect of risk, and I can reduce that risk by selecting two and banking on the fact that one will meet or excede expectations.

It's worked well so far.

This is what I tend to try, obviously depending on how the draft is going. either 6/7 or 7/8. Then I can move on to my more risky sleeper picks that will either never play or will boom and I dont have to worry about all the what ifs with my QBs
Berge20
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby lsufan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:48 pm

I did not draft a 2nd QB in my first draft. I went with the player with the best value(in my opinion) on each pick. My team is listed below. I only drafted one QB in both of my other leagues last year and I won both leagues. I didn't even end the season with the QB I drafted and still won(I picked up Brees in both leagues). Im a little worried about Collins but I'll be watching the waiver wire QB's and will be quick to pick one up if Collins becomes a bust or is hurt.
lsufan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:24 pm

tms298 wrote:You have a good enough team to not have to do such a high risk/medium reward tactic like having 1QB. I would've taken the Caddy for Plummer trade as Caddy won't leave your bench and will have marginal value when people realize he has taken over Pittman's role-lots of yards, no touchdowns.

I just didn't feel like it was worth giving up a #2 (albeit #3 on my team) back to get an erratic-as-h**l QB (Jake the Flake) who probably won't see much more playing time on my team than Caddy. I don't know long Anderson will be starting in Denver, and Barlow is, well, Barlow.

I did, however (with the help of Plindsey ;-D ) propose a trade to the Peyton Manning Owner:

My Gates, Anderson, and Delhomme for his P. Manning. (he's thin at RB, and already has Tatum Bell, so maybe a 3 for 1 is too good for him to pass up.) If he accepts, problem solved.

If he doesn't, (Which I really don't expect him to) I figure I can always grab a #2 QB off the WW after Week 1, when I'm gonna have a spot (or two) opening up.

Either way, I think I'll be OK (if I get Peyton I'll be better than OK, I'll be d**ned near unstoppable).

BTW, Delhomme did throw for 3,900 yards and 29 scores last year, so I feel like he's at least an adequate every week QB (he may not repeat those numbers this year, but I think he'll at least come close, and my team's not built around a QB, so that's good enough for me.)

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback and help! ;-D

God Bless the Gulf Coast.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby BigMusky » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:31 pm

I will probably draft Vick again as my 2nd QB in the late rounds just in case he ever figures out how to pass and run during the same season. Other then that I dont worry about a second guy.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bottled Aggression » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:50 pm

I did the same thing. I am in a keeper league and after 7 rounds everyone had 2-3 QBs already. I knew I didn't need to pick up a second one yet. So, I only drafted Bulger.

I figured their is average - below average talent at Qb in free agents now. So, I might as well wait and see if E. Manning, Leftwich or Harrington will produce and have a few extra RBs and WRs.

I'm not worried, because of the reason.... If Bulger goes down, I can still pick up a player at anytime. It is no different from drafting that same guy, and who knows if he will do anything.

Marc Bulger QB STL - Starter
Brian Westbrook RB PHI - Starter
Shaun Alexander RB SEA - Starter
Randy Moss WR OAK - Starter
Larry Fitzgerald WR - Starter
Donald Driver WR - Starter
Jason Witten TE DAL - Starter
Jason Elam K DEN Starter
Baltimore Ravens Def - Starter
Detroit Lions S/T - Starter
Mewelde Moore RB MIN - Reserve
J.J. Arrington RB ARI - Reserve