Will the Saints ever return? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will the Saints ever return?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Will the Saints ever return?

Postby UNDEFEATED » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:49 am

Good luck and much love to the people in need. More power to you.

I know that there are more important things in life. But....

Will the Saints ever return to New Orleans? Could this be the straw that breaks the NFL-Saints back. To seriously relocate.

Finacially rebuilding the city could possibly be a bust. But Morally they should rebuild. Some people are whispering that its not monetarily worth it.

They will certainly not play another game in the SuperDome.

Just wondering...

Does this need to be in the General Talk forum?
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:31 am

Well the owner has been wanting to relocate them for a while, and now he may have a legit excuse to do so. Who knows if New Orleans will ever return to normal enough to support a football team? I wouldn't be shocked at all if they became the San Antonio Saints.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:25 am

The guy who runs the Blue Jays has been trying to bring an NFL team to Toronto for about a dozen years now, and whenever pressed for details the Saints always seemed to be on the short-list of teams that they thought were realistic candidates for potential relocation. This was before the hurricane. Which basically suggests New Orleans might not have been thought of by the owners as a sure-fire long-term market.

Toronto is probably no better than 5th on the NFL's list of possible relocation cities, so I don't think they would be coming here, but point here is just that if the city of New Orleans isn't able to rebuild itself, then I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that team move somewhere. At some point the financial implications of trying to play out of a dilapidated city would take over, and New Orleans was not among the league's most significant markets to begin with.
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby confused_jake » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:44 am

If they do go to Toronto, that could create a rivalry with the Bills.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby MadScott » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:07 am

I've heard a lot of speculation regarding this exact topic. Why would you let the fox into the henhouse or in this case, why let the Saints play in San Antonio, supposedly a top suitor?

Personally, I don't think the Saints leave town like this during a time of emergency. Add to that, the damage done to the Superdome from the hurricane, I would say the chances of them getting a revamped facility and remaining in NO is pretty good. Perhaps divine intervention on behalf of the "Saints"? :-b
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:25 am

MadScott wrote:I've heard a lot of speculation regarding this exact topic. Why would you let the fox into the henhouse or in this case, why let the Saints play in San Antonio, supposedly a top suitor?

I agree. And the Saints are TRYING earnestly to secure a location to play its home game in Louisiana. LSU is a viable option, and LSU AD Skip Bertman has said the stadium is available for the Saints this season.

MadScott wrote:Personally, I don't think the Saints leave town like this during a time of emergency. Add to that, the damage done to the Superdome from the hurricane, I would say the chances of them getting a revamped facility and remaining in NO is pretty good. Perhaps divine intervention on behalf of the "Saints"? :-b

Another point I agree with. This city, these people, NEED the Saints right now. They are our distraction. Saints fans are arguably the most loyal fans in the NFL. We need to watch this team on Sunday, they always give us hope, and we need that more than ever right now.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Mudd » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:49 am

The owner of the Saint's is from San Anotnio right? I have a feeling they have played their last game in NO.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby devius » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:55 am

what about LA? LA has been looking for an NFL team for some time.
devius
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby catch22 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:57 am

I dont see how they can stay. The superdome is old and the city has no money to help with a new facility. Saints season ticket holders have been in decline. The owner is one of the worst in the business.
"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is.......... it's you."

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!
catch22
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk