Packers @ Titans - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Packers @ Titans

Moderator: Football Moderators

Packers @ Titans

Postby gablefan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:38 am

The Titans fans lost alot of respect in my book last night. I went to the game ( which is why I am posting this now), and everytime Pacman's name was announced the entire crowd booed. Only one dude in the NFL deserves to be booed and he is in Philly.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:29 pm

I could give you a list of ten nfl players that deserved to be booed.

And none of them are named Terrell Owens.

My expecatations are the same for professional atheletes as they are for you or my neighbor.

And wanting them to not want to make more money isn't one of them.

beating your wife, physical assault, vehicular homicide from a dui....those are the things to boo a player over.

The problem isn't Terrell Owens. It's us. Change your perception people.
Last edited by awwchrist on Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:03 pm

awwchrist wrote:Not beating your wife... those are the things to boo a player over.

I hope you mean 'beating your wife.'
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby awwchrist » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:10 pm

good catch
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby gablefan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:20 pm

"I could give you a list of ten nfl players that deserved to be booed.

And none of them are named Terrell Owens.

My expecatations are the same for professional atheletes as they are for you or my neighbor.

And wanting them to not want to make more money isn't one of them.

Not beating your wife, physical assault, vehicular homicide from a dui....those are the things to boo a player over.

The problem isn't Terrell Owens. It's us. Change your perception people. "

Speak for yourself....

When I say booing, I mean in a football sense. What TO is doing is hurting his football team: that deserves the boo birds. What Packman did was the same thing every red blooded American wants: more money for what he does for a living. And yes there is a difference between TO and Pacman.

The other comments you made don't really even deserve a response. If you do not want to cheer a person on, because of off the field issues, that is fine. I am not saying I do. But don't stoop to their level, and show your @$$ and boo them. If you see him on the street, or wherever, you can let him know what you think of him, that is fine. Have some brass and don't hide behind the anonymity fo 60,000 people.

Just because I said TO deserves to be booed doesn't mean I have ever done it. I have never booed an athlete, and won't unless they play dirty.

Sense you think "we" are part of the problem, you don't seem to be doing to much about it with your 6,954 posts! So what do you suggest "we" do about it?

FYI: I have no problem with you and have enjoyed most of your posts, we just apparently disagree on this subject and I would like to discuss it further.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby awwchrist » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:56 pm

you don't seem to be doing to much about it with your 6,954 posts

I have no idea what this means. My post count has nothing to do with anything in this discussion.

Look, feel free to boo the guy for being a jackass. Honestly I really don't care. My only point was (and not so much at you, although it does read as such..I was merely using your comment as a springboard for a higher discussion) that if people are truly pissed..I mean really super mad with what Owens has done, then I think their expectations of professional atheletes are skewed.

As stated, guys like McMicheal and Pittman and Little deserve our real ire.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby gablefan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:19 pm

What you said about Pittman and Co. is true and they do deserve it. However I was refering to the "football" side of things. In reality, all football is, for people like us, is a fantasy. A way to forget reality and lose ourselves in something we love, and forget about real life for 3 hours. When TO holds out after signing a contract a year and "screws with the team Gel" that is something to be pissed about. It is effecting our livlihood. If you want to boo him because he is a P.O.S., no one can stop you.

Your post count was in refernce to the "we" are the problem comment. I was just saying if "we" are the problem, you are spearheading the way for "us".

To get back to my original point, I was very disappointed in the Titans fans for showing little class last night. From people whom I held in high respect, after the Tommy Maddox injury, I was just a little disappointed!
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:43 pm

gablefan wrote:What you said about Pittman and Co. is true and they do deserve it. However I was refering to the "football" side of things. In reality, all football is, for people like us, is a fantasy. A way to forget reality and lose ourselves in something we love, and forget about real life for 3 hours. When TO holds out after signing a contract a year and "screws with the team Gel" that is something to be pissed about. It is effecting our livlihood. If you want to boo him because he is a P.O.S., no one can stop you.

Your post count was in refernce to the "we" are the problem comment. I was just saying if "we" are the problem, you are spearheading the way for "us".

To get back to my original point, I was very disappointed in the Titans fans for showing little class last night. From people whom I held in high respect, after the Tommy Maddox injury, I was just a little disappointed!

I'll give you that TO hasn't done anything to help with team unity...but, we are talking about a mature team that is all about winning the SB. And TO has more than enough game to back up any of his BS mouthing off. He wanted a better contract, whether it's warrented or not is not the fans' call, the only way he can get the front office's attention is to ultimately threaten to hold out. That's the way it works. So while he may be acting like a jerk, I can certainly still appreciate what he brings to the table, as do the Iggles, I'll assume.

Aww's point about who he feels deserves the boos is spot on. Fans get too caught up in negoitation crap and personalize everything. His use of the word 'us' is in response to the overwhelming amount of posts like yours that are off the mark, IMO. And in the opinion of team owners who willingly put up with it. And the fans who will be cheering TO with every fantastic catch he makes.

Except for you, and I have to say you because you don't like to be lumped in with a collective fanbase, you'll be booing TO because that greedy bastage wants more money........not unlike Pacman. Who you will be defending?

And I should add that TO has a much more spotless off field record than Pacman. Actually, I'd venture to say that TO has been a more ideal citizen than most of the fans in the seats on any given Sunday.

Oh, and don't bother with my post numbers. Most folks who've read my posts know the sum of them far exceeds their value.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby TTTBone » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:14 pm

Funny thread.
"Packers@Titans"????
There's not even one post with game commentary. :-?
Only the initial post comes close, with a comment on the Titans' fans.

If this was so wrongly posted in leftovers, Hammy would have gulped it up.

As it is, it's in the much less traveled game commentary, so let's get into it.

Personally, I'll only boo a player for his on-field work for one of the following three reasons.
1) Gross ineptitude (i.e. execution, penalties, and all-around sucking the life out of a team)
2) Excessive showboating (i.e. celebrating tackles when your team's down by 21, bitching on the sidelines, basically anything that says "me, me, me!!!" when your team is losing.
3) Dirty play (we all can come up with our own examples here)

As far as other reasons to boo a player, there's only one, and it's off-the-field conduct. And for me, it's all about one's personal conduct mostly unrelated to football.

The business end... well, is not my business. Ricky Williams, TO, Javon, etc., I hold no grudge. Sure, I have opinions, but I seperate that end from the game itself. I may not like how a player conducts himself during contract negotiations or other monetary related business, but I'm here to watch a game. These guys have their careers and lives to manage, and when it comes to gametime I'll deal with the game, and try not worry about their business decisions. We'll do fine without you, if you so choose; the world won't stop rotating on it's axis, and it'll be another incredibly compelling NFL season, with or without you.
I would not boo or jeer TO. I have respect for the guy as a player, and that's enough for me as a fan not to disrespect him on the field.
In his personal conduct, TO's done nothing to make me dislike him, except to have a hugely inflated ego. A big ego comes with the job of being at the top of your field, it's hardly a "booable" offense, especially when a player can back up the talk.
Now, when he showboated the star in Dallas, go ahead and boo, in fact, knock his freakin' block off.
As far as personal conduct reasons to boo a player, I'm talking the Randy McMichael, Jamal Lewis, Chmura type stuff.
Hitting a woman... Boo
Murder, assault... Boo
Sexual assault... Boo
If you're not conducting yourself as a decent, law-abiding human being off the field, don't expect me to have any respect for you on the field. I'll boo you until my lungs fail me.

Guys holding out, and disputing their contracts is part of the business of the NFL. I may not like some of their stands, but it's their stand, and personally I'm not going to hold it against them.
I'll watch and love the game with or without them on the field. It's their decision. If they don't show up, I'll love the game just the same and deal with the players who are working their asses off on the field.
If they do show up, I may lose some respect, but I'm not going to try to Boo them of the field.
There's a reason they hold out... they're usually the best in the game, and the game is better with them. It's a short, dangerous and health-wrecking career. Most of us would probably not do any different in their situation (try to maximize your money and opportunity while you're young enough and healthy enough to play this great game to it's fullest level).
But to a fan, the game is great regardless, and if someone wants to hold out, go ahead... this is your business.
The NFL and it's fans will do just fine without you.
In fact, other than fantasy geeks like us, you may be completely forgotten to the casual fan in a year or two. So, no, I don't begrudge you trying to get what you can right now, and I won't boo you if you do come back.
Simply put your performance back on the field (you know, do your job), and I won't be booing you.
In fact, I'll probably be cheering you on.

Until you screw up on the field.

Play on. ;-D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby A2theIzzo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:19 pm

The thread Name should be changed. Doesnt seem like game commentary to me :-D
A2theIzzo
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk