Power Rankings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Power Rankings

Moderator: Football Moderators

Power Rankings

Postby JonnyJTV » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:45 pm

Does anyone have a spreadsheet for creating Power Rankings within your league? Or know of a website to enter various stats and/or scores from previous games to come up with power rankings? Thanks.
JonnyJTV
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:27 pm

I assume you mean the same power rankings they use at, say, CBS Sportsline? They rate the teams on wins, total points scored, and the "breakdown" of how they would have fared against all other teams each week.

Well, I know "sort of" how to do this in Excel... :*) I know how to rank each team and give them higher or lower points based on wins and points scored. I don't know how to give teams "half points" though based on a tie. Breakdowns would be a whole other sheet, but basically made off the same principle.

Anyway, I don't know of another site that does it other than Sportsline, and I don't think you can just randomly input ranks anywhere and get rankings. It's probably something someone would have to create themselves. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:45 pm

We use power rankings in my league, and here is how we calculate them....

Each week, we compare your score to everyone else's score in the league and develop a win-loss record for how well you would have done had you played everyone else in the league... We keep a running tally of that win-loss record throughout the year, and use those records to determine power rankings.... Lemme give you an example.... For the sake of simplicity, I will pretend as if it's a four team league:

Week 1:

Columbine High Rifle Team - 110
Neverland Valley Boy Scouts - 90

Schiavo's Brain Surgeons - 106
Waco Texas BBQ Team - 101

We compare how each team would have fared against every other team in week 1, and we determine what their win-loss record WOULD have been accordingly.... For example, Columbine would have beaten everyone, so his record would have been (3-0), and Waco would have beaten only Neverland, so his record is (1-2).... Make sense?

SO, Power Rankings after week 1:

1) Columbine (3-0)
2) Schiavo (2-1)
3) Waco (1-2)
4) Neverland (0-3)

Then week 2's results are as follows:

Neverland Valley Boy Scouts - 98
Schiavo's Brain Surgeons - 119

Columbine High Rifle Team - 99
Waco Texas BBQ Team - 105

We again calculate the hypothetical win-loss records, but this time we add them to week 1, to give us our 2-week power rankings...

SO, Power Rankings after week 2:

1) Schiavo (5-1) = (2-1) + (3-0)
2) Columbine (4-2) = (3-0) + (1-2)
3) Waco (3-3) = (1-2) + (2-1)
4) Neverland (0-6) = (0-3) + (0-3)

And we keep this running tally all year long....

Did any of that help?

[Disclaimer: All Boy Scouts depicted in this example are fictional.... The fact that Neverland Valley Boy Scouts "sucked" for the purpose of this example bears no correllation to what boy scouts may or may not actually do while visiting the Neverland Valley Ranch....]

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:03 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:[Disclaimer: All Boy Scouts depicted in this example are fictional.... The fact that Neverland Valley Boy Scouts "sucked" for the purpose of this example bears no correllation to what boy scouts may or may not actually do while visiting the Neverland Valley Ranch....]

BWAHAHAHA!!!
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Return to Football Talk