Best draft spot - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Best draft spot

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best draft spot

Postby Spinner » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:08 pm

If you could pick any spot, what spot do you think is the best in a 12 team re-draft league? Also, if you had to pick between 3 or 12? It is a snake style draft. Thanks.
Spinner
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:30 pm

depends on your league. If they are quality owners then take the 3 spot and go the Priest route. You will get a good 2nd back and a good #1 receiver. Yahoo has some goofy rankings that might have Duece or Jamal Lewis dropping to you at 12, in which case that is excellent value. But you will have to be playing with people who know nothing of VBD or tend to follow the yahoo rankings. In a normal draft you will have to probably go the Randy route, which I dont like because your second back is going to be the 36th pick. Take the 3rd pick.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby UncleIvan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:30 pm

This year I like 1-3 or 10-12. If you value having 2 stud RBs then go for 10-12. but make sure you do your research on your 2nd RB and make sure he is not a bust, because there are a number of RBs to choose from at pick#13

1-3 you can get maybe a Westbrook or CMart at rd2 and then holt or CJohnson rd3. This route is a little simpler since you have no risk in you rd1 studRB and rd3 stud WR, easy choices. And your rd2 RB is not expected to have a huge year.
UncleIvan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby confused_jake » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:39 pm

In my most recent draft i picked 11th out of 12 and i really liked that spot. I like being in the back because i know ill be able to get another player within the next few picks. that and its easier to coordinate bathroom breaks. ;-D
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby arrbez » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:53 pm

depending on the oweners in your league, you can make out like a bandit with a mid-to-late pick. I don't really like picking high at all, because by the time your second pick comes around you seem to be a step behind everyone else. By picking late you get to secure 2 solid RB's (if that's your strategy), or you can take a top-10 RB, and then grab a stud WR on the way back

in a live yahoo draft i did a few days ago i had the 7th pick (of 10) and got

1. McGahee
2. C. Johnson
3. Portis
4. Ward
5. Witten
6. Bruce

I grabbed Hasselbeck in the 9th and have a pretty sweet starting lineup.
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby FatFoot » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:22 am

I had 8th of 10 and got

1). Edge
2). Jamal
3). Owens
4). Steve Smith

I think it probably depends more on who else is in your league than it does the position you start in. There's plenty of talent to go around.

If you're playing with a bunch of pros, I'd rather go early pick. If you're playing with a mixed bag or with a lot of fresh meat (like me, though I did HELLA research... came in with my lists, my highlighters, cheat sheets, etc) I'd be just as comfortable going in the last 2 spots as in the first 3. I think 5-8 (in a 10 person league... more like 5 or 6 through 10 in a 12 person league) is the area you don't want to be in... I don't think it screws you. Just makes it more complicated.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:59 am

I like the 1, 2, 9, or 10 spot.

I'd take the 3 hole over the 12 spot.
DGroundhog
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Matthias » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:49 am

DGroundhog wrote:I like the 1, 2, 9, or 10 spot.

I'd take the 3 hole over the 12 spot.

me, as well. the 1 or 2 spots are money since you can land one of the absolute no-doubters. whether you want the 3 hole over the 12 spot depends on what sort of team you would feel comfortable with. in the 12 spot, you can get two solid, third-tier running backs. (i would place tomlinson & alexander as their own tier; edge, mcgahee, priest, and then maybe mcallister and domanick davis in a second; and then rudi johnson, corey dillon, jamal lewis, ahman green, kevin jones, julius jones, brian westbrook, maybe one or two others, in the third). on the third/fourth round, you can maybe get one of the rookie running backs or you'd be drafting receivers.... gates & gonzo will probably be gone by then.

the third pick, you are picking from the second tier rb's with your first pick, maybe the bottom of the third tier with your second pick, could be top of the fourth, and then almost definitely the top of the fourth tier with your third pick. and will have only hopefuls (e.g., ricky williams) to choose from once it gets back to your fourth. however, you have flexibility. you can count on getting some sort of quality rb in all of your 3 picks, so you can spend one of them on a different position, if you prefer... pick up a stud wr if they fall to you in the second, or take a te with your third pick... or early qb. you have flexibility and can more dictate how you want your draft to shape up. whereas with the 12 slot i feel you're almost obligated to go rb/rb since there won't be much left for you once he comes around the third time.

if it helps, i had the 3rd pick in a 12-person league and it was tough because there were 4-5 running backs that i thought all were legitimate picks and the only one who stood out (priest) required you to spend your 5th rounder to feel comfortable with him. so i ended up drafting peyton just to have a pick not to worry about and ended up with 2 servicable rb's when it came back to me (lamont jordan & j.j. arrington) and then two pretty good wr's on the next two rounds (burleson & d-jax). so maybe i could've done better, but i'm happy with that as the core of my squad.

good luck!
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Flux » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:50 am

I like 3 or 8

You either get LT, SA, Priest at #3

At #8 you get either

LT, SA, Priest, Deuce, Edge, Willis, Jamal (and throw in DD, but someone will more than likely take Manning before 8)
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:38 am

I like 1-3, or 8-9 like Flux said. I'm a little weary of 3 because of all the Preist talk, and if the Cheifs clinch early they'll rest Holmes, and if they fall out early they'll play more of LJ. Pretty dangerous. You need the Cheifs to be in the hunt for the playoffs but not blowing everyone away.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk