Jimmy Smith losing Job? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jimmy Smith losing Job?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:01 pm

Jimmy Smith could drop every other ball thrown to him this season and he will still see the most playing time out of any WR in Jacksonville.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Daddymike59 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:47 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Jimmy Smith could drop every other ball thrown to him this season and he will still see the most playing time out of any WR in Jacksonville.

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;-D

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby emteesee » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:33 pm

The Jags LED THE LEAGUE in dropped passes last year. No, it wasn't the Seahawks, it was the Jags. The coaching staff hated it and remarked on it consistently. It's the single biggest thing the coaching staff was focusing on coming into this year. Smith has dropped multiple passes this preseason and has caught the coaching staff's attention already because of it. Smith drops every other pass for the first two games and he's done - anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.
emteesee
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Flux » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:19 pm

emteesee wrote:The Jags LED THE LEAGUE in dropped passes last year. No, it wasn't the Seahawks, it was the Jags. The coaching staff hated it and remarked on it consistently. It's the single biggest thing the coaching staff was focusing on coming into this year. Smith has dropped multiple passes this preseason and has caught the coaching staff's attention already because of it. Smith drops every other pass for the first two games and he's done - anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.

and who on JAX is better?
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Interstorm » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:00 am

once matt jones is up to speed, he HAS to play. they are just a more difficult team to plan for when he is in the lineup. don't know who leaves the starting rotation - but as soon as jones is ready, he'll be in.
Interstorm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Azrael » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:50 am

Interstorm wrote:once matt jones is up to speed, he HAS to play. they are just a more difficult team to plan for when he is in the lineup. don't know who leaves the starting rotation - but as soon as jones is ready, he'll be in.

He's been practicing with the team since May. How much longer does it take to get "up to speed"?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Interstorm » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:35 pm

dude - 'practicing' and 'playing' are two completely different things. as a coach, i wouldn't - couldn't - justify starting virtually any rookie in the first game of the season on principle alone (try and keep their ego down). throw in that he's got to handle hot routes, adjusting to blitzes or when a defense changes pre-snap...all of these things take a bit of time.

he WILL be starting by the end of the year - i actually have him as one of my offensive rookie of the year candidates...but i just don't see him being a top 2 receiver on that team until at least sometime in october.

side note, though. jacksonville is stupid if they don't get him on the field when they are in the red zone. i'd have him study what he needs to do there more than anything else. line him up outside...if even in a 1 WR formation - the defense really won't be sure what to expect and they'd almost definitly have to slide extra coverage his way.
Interstorm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Wesley Walker » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:28 pm

Less than a week to go before kickoff and my blood pressure is high enough. Don't mess with me like this. Please!
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Lushcrush » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:40 pm

Wesley Walker wrote:Less than a week to go before kickoff and my blood pressure is high enough. Don't mess with me like this. Please!

Didn't you handcuff Jimmy Smith with Matt Jones? Tut tut tut Wesley ... :-b
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Wesley Walker » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:52 pm

Lushcrush wrote:
Wesley Walker wrote:Less than a week to go before kickoff and my blood pressure is high enough. Don't mess with me like this. Please!

Didn't you handcuff Jimmy Smith with Matt Jones? Tut tut tut Wesley ... :-b

Somebody got Jones. But I collected potential cuffs Larry Johnson and Mike Anderson. SO it sort of evens out.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk