Conflict of emotions, what to do as commish? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Conflict of emotions, what to do as commish?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Conflict of emotions, what to do as commish?

Postby Azrael » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:39 am

Ok, here's the situation. 10 team league. I wanted to trade out of my 4th down lower and found someone to trade with me, the 7th pick. I offered to swap him my 4th overall for his 7th overall in exchange for him giving me his 5th rounder 5.7 for my 6th rounder 6.7.

I ran it by most of the people prior to the draft via telephone and no one really made a fuss. Then prior to the draft as we're all sitting around I made the announcement again to everyone and out of the blue 5 guys say they are against it but can't explain why it would be unfair. The other 3 guys not involved in the trade are like what's the big deal who cares and ofcourse me and my partner in the trade can't vote so we lose 5-3. And the kicker is that 2 or 3 of those guys were considering trading picks with me as well!

The other trader and myself are just completely pissed because no one could explain why it was unfair because it clearly wasn't. I myself don't believe you should be able to just vote against something to be an a**h*** or think you are being a comedian to a couple other guys in the league. So anyway, we are upset but I allowed it to be vetoed because I didn't want to seem like a dictator commissioner.

We still ended up getting the players we wanted anyway but here's where I'm at. My thoughts are now not to allow those 5 guys to do a damn thing in the means of trading for the whole year regardless of who needs what and whether it is fair or unfair.

Do you think I am wrong in acting this way towards them because they screwed up my pick trade for no reason or I should be better and let them make trades if they want?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chief cheat sheet » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:45 am

Just be a fair commish and let them make their deals(as long as they're not lopsided, of course). Win the league, then laugh.
Chief cheat sheet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:48 am

OK, Azreal. You really looking for someone to respond with, "Oh, yeah, you should totally sabotoge your entire league because they screwed you at the draft!" Dont think your gonna get that. Can I understand your feelings? Absolutely. But you either need to change the rules or find new, fairer owners to play with. Otherwise as much as it sucks, youre just gonna have to eat it.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby awwchrist » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:55 am

1. Trades should only be vetoed if it's obvious collusion. Voila, you'd never see this scenario ever again. ESPECIALLY if it's a league (and it sounds like what you have) where everyone knows the other..not some yahoo public league.

2. Yes, it sounds unfair. However you can't punish your owners for it. That's not what the commish position is for. You can, however, make the rules change so that they will never be able to do something like that again : see 1.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wesley Walker » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:57 am

I'm a big, bug beleiver in the simplicity and automation of free Yahoo leagues. The commish can set trades to be voted on by all on-interested parties, and only a majority veto kills the trade.

But then again, one can't trade draft picks in Yahoo leagues either.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby proKrastinate » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:34 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:OK, Azreal. You really looking for someone to respond with, "Oh, yeah, you should totally sabotoge your entire league because they screwed you at the draft!" Dont think your gonna get that. Can I understand your feelings? Absolutely. But you either need to change the rules or find new, fairer owners to play with. Otherwise as much as it sucks, youre just gonna have to eat it.

I agree here. The purpose of you being commish is to enforce the rules as they are stated and if the rules allow vetoing of trades by fellow owners for any reason... If you feel you got screwed, you shouldn't punish your fellow owners. I feel you were screwed also but that doesn't give you the right either to disallow trades for them since you have the power. Its really hard "eating" these types of occurences but thats what you will have to do. And I would like to add that you 'should' change the rule but not until this year if over, meaning you might have to deal with this again before its all said and done.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Interstorm » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:25 pm

as stated above, there shouldn't be any veto on trades unless something really stinks in it. did the raiders bitch when champ baily joined their division? would it have mattered???

...since you are commissioner - run this league the way it is. next year, in the offseason, announce a new rule that vetos a veto.
Interstorm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Dexter II » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:32 pm

I think this is a case of needing to be bigger than the 5 owners who objected to your pick swap and acting in the best interest of the league. In this case treating each trade request on it's merits, not based on who is involved. You could also run into an issue where 1 of the "5" want to trade with one of the "3" and you wouldn't want that.

Despite their vote on draft day you need to run the league as if that didn't happen. You will only gain respect from all of the owners by taking this approach.

If this is an annual league and certain owners always cause problems you have every right not to invite them back next year.
Fatalism Helps with the Jump but not the Fall
Dexter II
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Web SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:56 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:OK, Azreal. You really looking for someone to respond with, "Oh, yeah, you should totally sabotoge your entire league because they screwed you at the draft!" Dont think your gonna get that. Can I understand your feelings? Absolutely. But you either need to change the rules or find new, fairer owners to play with. Otherwise as much as it sucks, youre just gonna have to eat it.

I agree here totally.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby jdogg_ffc » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:16 pm

As a commish you def. have to let it slide. As a owner you could vote against any trade or move the 5 do etc. But really what whould be the point of it, do you want to play in a no trade or move league?

Whats prob. happened is you beat these guys *** and they are pissed. Just deal with it you can still beat them this yr. again.

After the season and before next yr. is when you make your changes.

Start off with "you must be able to give a valid reason to vote against a trade or move"

Just because someone was champ last yr. is no reason to vote no.

Good luck!!!
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk