Am I the only person left that still thinks Portis = STUD? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Am I the only person left that still thinks Portis = STUD?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Azrael » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:44 pm

I'm hoping that his bulking up will make him more durable than he's been. In case it doesn't I've added Betts. He's one of the few backs in the league with homerun speed. Gibbs has added plays (stretches and sweeps) that are geared towards Portis's slashing running style. His line has looked fantastic in the pre-season, especially thrilled with how well they played against Pittsburgh. The schedule looks pretty easy.

Check him out this week against Chicago. That will be a good bench mark. Chicago has done well in the pre-season against some premier backs in the league (Edge 6 car, 4yds; McGahee 21 car, 61yds (16 on a draw)).

His line appears to be tremendously improved with getting Jansen back and adding Rabach from the Ravens.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:58 pm

TaDa, please take my sig off. I didn't give you permission to use it.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheFranchise » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:22 pm

I believe I read somewhere that now that the Redskins OL is healthy, they will be switching to a zone blocking run offense. This is the system that Portis excelled in while playing for Denver. It is an ideal blocking scheme for cutback runners.
TheFranchise
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Teh Jury » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:26 pm

9er Fan wrote:I think he'll do about what he did last year. In any case, much closer to what he did last year than his years in Denver.

True say. Sure he'll be an excellent back, and he should improve on last years numbers. The Redskins have allowed running backs in their systems to become studs. But the Redskins are not the Denver Broncos, and Portis with a native face on his jersey will not produce like Portis did with a maned critter on his jersey.
Teh Jury
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:32 pm

Hes fine as a later pick first back or a 2nd back. The problem last year was he was top 5, and it should have been known he couldn't match that.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:35 pm

Am I the only person left that still thinks Portis = STUD?

Apparently not.

But ...
I had Portis last year.
And it was a slow and lingering death.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TaDa » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:13 pm

Didn't realize that sigs required permission, sorry, no biggie

And Weasel, I completely understand your disappointment last year. I actually think because he was such a letdown last year is why he is slipping to 2nd and 3rd rounds this year. All the better for Portis owners this year me thinks.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Postby bige47 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:24 pm

I don't know if he will be a top 5 STUD back this year, but he should be top 10. The Skins o-line is healthy and stronger than last year and Gibbs has tweaked the offense a little bit to fit Portis' running style.

I got him as my #2 back in both my leagues, i think that is great value for him and won't dissapoint as my #2. That being said he needs to score a few more td's than last year. ;-D
bige47
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:30 pm

His upside lies in about the top 5 backs. His downside is basically what he did last year, which would put him in the early second round. And considering it will be hard for him to duplicate last year's pitiful performance, he has prett good value as long as you don't pick him in the top 7 or 8 picks.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TaDa » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:03 pm

And by the way, I have now found proof that Portis is not just a STUD, but he's also a pimp

This made me laugh so much that it's now my avatar
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk