Am I the only person left that still thinks Portis = STUD? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Am I the only person left that still thinks Portis = STUD?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:29 pm

Personally, I'd be thrilled to have Portis as my number two back.

Last year he was top 10 in most of my leagues with mostly normal scoring, minimal payoff for receptions. This year the Skins will be better and their best lineman will be back in Jon Jansen. I see no reason why he won't be better than last year, which will make him easily a top 10 RB, and a decent number one guy. What's nice is that he's going at positions where he could be your number two, or your number one if you take a top WR first round.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby iloveny18 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:15 pm

well, he fell to me, and I nabbed him. I'm pretty happy taking him as my #2. He won't be the portis of old, which is why he's falling, but I think he's a solid back. People think that he's a dud now that he's not in denver, but he WAS a 2nd round nfl pick, so while he won't post denver rb #s, he'll at least post top 15 #s which is where he's being drafted anyway.
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TaDa » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:24 am

Welcome to the club NY.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Postby Teh Jury » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:50 am

iloveny18 wrote:well, he fell to me, and I nabbed him. I'm pretty happy taking him as my #2. He won't be the portis of old, which is why he's falling, but I think he's a solid back. People think that he's a dud now that he's not in denver, but he WAS a 2nd round nfl pick, so while he won't post denver rb #s, he'll at least post top 15 #s which is where he's being drafted anyway.

He's not a dud, and he's a top #2 RB. He's a decent #1, like you say top 15 at least.
Teh Jury
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:00 am

no way i would take him as my #1, and wouldnt really want him as a #2, but i would take him if i had to.

he will never approach numbers like he had in Denver becasue he was a product of that system just like TD, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson and Ruben Droughns.

JJ will easily outperform him.

Portis should finish the season around the 15th ranked RB. not bad, but definately not a stud
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby iloveny18 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:51 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:no way i would take him as my #1, and wouldnt really want him as a #2, but i would take him if i had to.

he will never approach numbers like he had in Denver becasue he was a product of that system just like TD, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson and Ruben Droughns.

JJ will easily outperform him.

Portis should finish the season around the 15th ranked RB. not bad, but definately not a stud

JJ?!!? I think he needs to learn how to block to be in the game for 3 downs to get more yardage. But you see, Clinton's not being drafted as a stud anymore, he's falling, which is why he's such a great pick (hence the term "value"). It's either him, Tiki, Rudi, or L. Jordan. They'll all probably produce similar points, imo, but Portis has a better chance of improving.
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TaDa » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:00 am

Look, I never said that he would put up stats like he did while on the Broncos, but here's the thing with Portis...Once he hits a hole and is in the open field, he has wheels. I prefer a back that has good running capability that can get that 4 yards per carry, and then can break a 60 yard run.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Postby tanner » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:03 am

great rb, bad offense..Moss and Patten won't keep defenses from stacking 8 men in the box, not to mention only kyle boller and david carr have had a worse preseason than ramsey( not worth mentioning chad hutchinson)..
skins o-line looks good..fantasy index now has portis as their #6 RB..
but, thats a publication that also had santas moss and rod smith #'s 3 and 4, respectively, in last year's mag!! lol

portis plays against mush run defenses, so his #'s should improve..
but i doubt he reaches double-digt tds...
probably something like 1500 rush yards, 8-9 td's...my guess is that he'll become someone like fred taylor was, great on rush yards, low on tds..Betts figures to be a hawk for those goalline carries..and i'm just sure Washington is going to be in the bottom 1/3rd in the league in terms of time of possession, and first downs...the offense looks to be only marginally better than last year..
portis will get back to the 1500 plateau, but don't expect to get the 15 tds he got in denver..
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk