Biggest jerk in sports - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Biggest jerk in sports

Moderator: Football Moderators

Biggest jerk in sports

Postby BobbyRoberto » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:32 pm

I hereby nominate the owner of the New Orleans Saints:

Saints to play in San Antonio: No refunds on tickets

The Saints are planning on playing this season in San Antonio and have decided not to refund season ticket holders.
This keeps getting worse. Saints owner Tom Benson reportedly wants to leave the city of New Orleans permanently and has a plan to do it. By not refunding season tickets, he expects the city's legislature to stop making public payments to him, which were already in peril. Benson then can get out of his agreement with the city and move the team to the highest bidder. Sep. 5 - 1:03 pm et
Source: ProFootballtalk.com[/u]
BobbyRoberto
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Atog » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:36 pm

That's pretty bad. I read in the Free Press/Detroit News that the Saints are looking around for another stadium, and the Big House is one on their list. Hell, I'd drive the hour to Ann Arbor to support the Saints ;-D
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Captain » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:02 pm

IF things go well for him in San Antonio and the support is there, it's possible he could move the team to Texas, which is where he's from I believe. Bad new for the die hard Saints fans...

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby N-Man » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:02 pm

what a d-bag :-t
life is like a box of chocolates. . .
N-Man
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:15 pm

Is this a rumor or did he actually say this? From a legal aspect he cannot do this.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:20 pm

mutantseabass wrote:Is this a rumor or did he actually say this? From a legal aspect he cannot do this.

It's from ProFootballtalk.com so take it with a grain of salt... at least until a more reputable source emerges.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby catch22 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:22 pm

What a piece......I dont think it can suprise any saints fans....he's wanted to move the team for a while. He certainly gets my vote for worse team owner ;-D
"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is.......... it's you."

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!
catch22
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BobbyRoberto » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:23 pm

This is from ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=2152641

The apparent change of focus to San Antonio came amid reports that Benson planned to move the franchise here permanently and to not issue refunds to season ticketholders in New Orleans. The latest report, on the tickets, came from a New Orleans television station which cited a discussion with Saints executive vice president Arnold Fielkow. There were also indications that some sentiments that Benson may have expressed directly after the impact of Hurricane Katrina have softened in recent days.

Still looking weary, Benson politely rebuffed interview attempts as he left the practice field on Monday afternoon. "Guys, I'm about up to here right now," Benson said, holding his hand to his chin. "Talk to Greg [Bensel, director of media relations] and hopefully we can do something later in the week."

Benson likely does not want to make any public comments until after he has an opportunity to meet face-to-face with Tagliabue and league officials.

Being reported by a New Orleans TV station doesn't make it fact, though. If it ends up being true, it's a terrible thing to do to people down there who are suffering enough.

I would expect season ticket holders would be suing for their money back, though. I know I would. It doesn't seem possible that he could get away with something like that legally.
BobbyRoberto
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PackerAttack84 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:48 pm

catch22 wrote:What a piece......I dont think it can suprise any saints fans....he's wanted to move the team for a while. He certainly gets my vote for worse team owner ;-D

Best team owner, Brown County.

It wouldn't really surprise me if something like this ended up happening. I don't think anything major, like a permanant move will happen this year, but I think it could happen in the future.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:56 pm

The league just isn't going to allow this to happen. The problem is I can almost bet that "acts of God" is expressly stated as not a viable reason to get a refund on a ticket. Otherwise, he'd be looking at a huge class action lawsuit from both the season ticket holders as well as the city.

But Tagliabue just isn't going to allow this owner to switch cities based on a national disaster.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk