Negative points for missed kicks? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Negative points for missed kicks?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Negative points for missed kicks?

Postby Chaucer » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:38 am

My commish is trying to force this rule down everyone's throats--negative points for missed kicks, the amount depending on the distance of the kick. I say this is a garbage rule. Anybody ever played with this in effect? What arguments can I muster against it? }:-)
Chaucer
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrider » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:41 am

Yeh I played with it its smart what if your guy shanks a 22 yarder he deserves to be penalized.
mrider
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kevinoc81 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:48 am

My money league plays with this rule. I like it because it adds some strategy to drafting kickers, and like mrider said, if a kicker misses a fg, he should be penalized. That is what he's supposed to do. When Manning or Brday throw an INT, they get penalized.

If you really want an argument against it though, there is no difference between a blocked kick and a missed kick. In the NFL, a block counts as a miss, so therefore, Yahoo or any other program counts it as a miss. This has come up before that if the center falls over and the guy walks right through it shouldn't count, blah, blah. Bottom line is if a QB throws a ball right to his WR and it goes through his hands into the CBs hands, it's still an INT, whether it was really the QBs fault or not.

Basically, I think you guys should just vote on it. Majority rules.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:02 am

I play with it to. All leagues should have it. If you kicker is missing 20 yarders then your team deserves negative points, like someone above said. I don't understand how it's a BS rule...
QB- M. Vick
WR- J. Jones, M. Colston
RB- R. Rice, J. Charles
TE- A. Hernandez
FLEX- D. McFadden, F. Jackson
K- G. Zuerlein
DEF- Miami

B- T. Romo, J. Kerley, K. Hunter, V. Ballard, D. Thomas, B. Myers, S. Suisham
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:11 am

Garbage rule.

Say a team attempts a 50 yarder right before the half, should you lose 5 points for that? I don't think so.

I just don't like unneeded rules. This one thoroughly devalues kickers...who already are devalued. If your kicker goes 2/3 with makes of 39,37 and a miss of 51....should you really only get 1 point? That doesn't seem right.

KISS...Keep It Simple, Stupid. Don't add rules that only add complexity and little value. You could add a billion little rules...-1 for incompletions, +1 for a successful handoff, -10 for a botched punt....but we don't...because it doesn't add any value and just serves to further complicate things.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chaucer » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:12 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:
I just don't like unneeded rules. This one thoroughly devalues kickers...who already are devalued. If your kicker goes 2/3 with makes of 39,37 and a miss of 51....should you really only get 1 point? That doesn't seem right.

KISS...Keep It Simple, Stupid. Don't add rules that only add complexity and little value. You could add a billion little rules...-1 for incompletions, +1 for a successful handoff, -10 for a botched punt....but we don't...because it doesn't add any value and just serves to further complicate things.

My thoughts exactly. Plus, kicker performance is extremely difficult to predict, and often has nothing to do with the kickers' ability at all. Why magnify the importance of a position like that?
Chaucer
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:26 am

Chaucer wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Plus, kicker performance is extremely difficult to predict, and often has nothing to do with the kickers' ability at all. Why magnify the importance of a position like that?

I concur. Say your kicker's longest FG is 55 yards and the team tries a 58 yarder. What are the chances that he makes it? Not good. Is it because he's a bad kicker? No. Who gets screwed? You.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Capstone » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:36 am

We have always played with negative points for kickers. We set accordingly though. I like the rule.

Miss:
XP -5
0-19 -4
20-29 -3
30-39 -2
40-49 -1
50+ 0
Capstone
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:40 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:Garbage rule.

Say a team attempts a 50 yarder right before the half, should you lose 5 points for that? I don't think so.

It doesnt normally work that way - typically long field goal misses dont lose that many points - its the missed chip shots that should and do affect your team the most in this type of format. Personally I like the rule.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Navyseal » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:49 am

In my league, kickers lose 3 points if they miss a FG under 30yds, but they get a -7 if they miss an extra point. Conversely, they are rewarded for FGs over 44 yds, and they are handsomely rewarded for FGs over 49 yds, and having a great kicker has been the difference in W's and L's in my league every year, sometimes in the playoffs as well. You just have to have a solid ALL AROUND team in my $$$$ league if you want to win.

Why even draft kickers or make them apart of fantasy scoring unless there is some risk/reward?

I love the fact that teams can go backwards if their kicker screws the pooch...

Big $$$ 12 tm, H2H hyper-performance keeper(5) league:

QB: Bulger*, Roethlisberger
RB: Deuce*, Rudi J*, Parker, A.Smith, C.Perry
WR: CJ*, Wayne*, Mason*, Williamson, Edwards
TE: H.Miller*, Troupe, Pollard
K: Kasay*
D/ST: Buffalo*
Navyseal
General Manager
General Manager

Next