Week One Defensive Rankings??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Week One Defensive Rankings???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bdrotoronto » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:02 pm

petedog9 wrote:Wash vs CHI in week one seems like a nice pick too. A rookie QB making his first ever start is sure to throw a few picks....

I agree.. for me the week 1 choice would have to be between the Redskins and the Rams.. Denver maybe a 3rd choice if the others are already taken..
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knownothings » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:05 pm

petedog9 wrote:Wash vs CHI in week one seems like a nice pick too. A rookie QB making his first ever start is sure to throw a few picks....

Washington is my top pick for week 1 closely followed by CIN against the Browns and DEN against Miami.
2004, 2005 & 2006 Hall of Fame Dynasty League Champion
2006 Dy-Nasty Kings Champion
2006 Tenacious D League Champion
2006 FIRM Champion
knownothings
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby octagon999 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:12 pm

Would you start Washington over Pittsburg though? (at home vs. Tenn)
octagon999
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 8)

Postby petedog9 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:15 pm

As hot as the Steelers Defense has been in the preseason, it would be tough to bench them. They have have 5 defensive / ST scores in the 4 preseason games. They are hot right now.....

That may fall into the "always start your studs" theory. And as far as defenses are concerned, Pitt is a stud.....
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:18 pm

My problem with WAS is that they really dont force many turnovers. They were near the top in Yds allowed and points allowed, but in fantasy terms they werent even in the top 10.

Add to that the fact that CHI is actually a very similar team to WAS in that they want to be very run heavy and back it up with a stout defense. Point is it isnt going to be a very high scoring affair and more importantly - chances are there wont be that many turnovers either.

Id much rather have a D like STL or KC that is going to force the other team out of their comfort zone because they have to play catchup. This should produce lots of turnovers and sacks - similar to what IND did last yr.

Point is - there are different ways to pick defensive matchups and its not always about good Ds vs bad Os. Remember - STL was the 3rd highest scoring D in 2003.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jskidder » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:31 pm

any thoughts on minnesota facing tampa bay? i was thinking of going with them, but st louis is available.
jskidder
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bdrotoronto » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:49 pm

Is anyone recommending CIN concerned by that 58-48 game they played vs. Cle last year?..

jskidder wrote:any thoughts on minnesota facing tampa bay? i was thinking of going with them, but st louis is available.

I think your Giants are probably a better bet than Minnesota this week.. everytime I recall the Giants facing Warner, it is sack city.. !+)
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:53 pm

jskidder wrote:any thoughts on minnesota facing tampa bay? i was thinking of going with them, but st louis is available.

MIN will need a little while to gel before they can be considered an elite D. Be very careful with them right now. Then agan, MINs DLine vs TBs OLine could produce sacks by the handful. MIN wouldnt be at the top of my list, but I can see how it could work out for you.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:02 pm

This week Washingtons D has got to be the best option. Rookie qb and all. I think pretty much any defense against the bears this year is fantasy gold.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby wideoutprospector12 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:40 pm

Maybe I am a homer but I like the other side of the Chicago-Wash game. The Bears D has looked great in the preseason. Their secondary is tight, Urlacher is healthy and the Washington offense has proved nothing but impotent thus far.
Smackdown Hotel Champion 2000, 2002, 2005
wideoutprospector12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk