Andre Johnson.. ranked high but what has he really done? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Andre Johnson.. ranked high but what has he really done?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Andre Johnson.. ranked high but what has he really done?

Postby PuntinFool » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:57 pm

6 TDs, 1100+ yards.. sure, those are pretty good numbers. But he only had four 100+ yard games (another with 96) and caught 7+ balls three times. Carr is his QB.. a decent player but he's iffy.

What I'm trying to say is, looking at ironman's compiled rankings: http://ironheadsports.bravehost.com/fbcheat.html, AJ is ranked 8th. Why is he ranked so high when the stats don't seem to add up? I would think Ward, Jackson, and Wayne would be ranked higher.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:21 pm

I couldn't agree more. I've been avoiding both him and Hines Ward every draft. The o-line in HOU is much too poor to allow Johnson to get the numbers everyone seems to think he will get. HOU has no other true receiving threat so Johnson will be 2x all season long. Hines Ward didn't do crap last year and I don't think big ben will be any better in the pocket this year either. I will take DJax, Wayne, and Burleson all day long before I even think of touching either of those 2 WR's in rounds 3-4.
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:23 pm

Andre is a talented wr. theres no doubt about that. The thing im worried about is his surronding cast. the texans offensive line is horrible which makes David Carr get sacked and make hurried throws. This also makes it hard to go deep when you the pocket breaks down quickly. Im predicting 1100 yards and 8TDs. not bad numbers at all but not worthy of his ranking.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mudd » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:26 pm

arschloch wrote:Hines Ward didn't do crap last year.

80 receptions for 1000+ yards is hardly "didn't do crap".

The reason AJ is ranked so high is b/c he is a freak. If Carr can get rid of the ball, AJ has a very good shot at making a play.

That said, I avoided him like the plague b/c I don't think Carr is going to amount to much this year (kinda like what he's done in preseason).
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:31 pm

Mudd wrote:
arschloch wrote:Hines Ward didn't do crap last year.

80 receptions for 1000+ yards is hardly "didn't do crap".

The reason AJ is ranked so high is b/c he is a freak. If Carr can get rid of the ball, AJ has a very good shot at making a play.

That said, I avoided him like the plague b/c I don't think Carr is going to amount to much this year (kinda like what he's done in preseason).

I think you fail to mention Ward only caught 4 TD's the entire season. Sure he's still the #1 WR in PIT but he won't come close to his 1000 and 10 average he had in 2002 and 2003. I see lots of short sideline routes in the future for Ward.

If I want a WR who will get me 1000 and 6 I'll wait to the 6th and grab Chambers or Driver. Ward's ADP is far too high for the production he will get you. Period.
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:24 pm

As I have probably said several times this year, AJ is my "stay away" player of the year. Their schedule (including the AFC North) and their O-Line problems combined with Carr not really seeming to "get it" yet just screams "bust" (meaning not near top 10 WR numbers).

He has great potential, but someone's got to get him the ball. Without any other good WR options on the team, he could easily be doubled. I just don't see it happening for him this year. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:22 pm

Don't sleep on Jerome Mathis, he is a rookie, but he has the burners and the ability to spread the field. Add that to a solid slot possession WR and Houston's WR corps aren't nearly as horrible as everyone makes them out to be.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:04 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Don't sleep on Jerome Mathis, he is a rookie, but he has the burners and the ability to spread the field. Add that to a solid slot possession WR and Houston's WR corps aren't nearly as horrible as everyone makes them out to be.

yeah, but they're also not good enough to keep AJ from getting doubled all day.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:56 am

Good thread - a bit of a repeat - but thats ok because it bears repeating.

AJohnson is one of the more overrated fantasy WRs going right now. This has nothing to do with talent - but rather the situation he is in. Many dont expect him to improve that much over his numbers from last yr, and those that do think he'll break out are basing it on talent alone and fail to address that the situation he is in hasent really changed.

Using a 4th rd pick on a 1150 and 6 WR is risky business if you ask me.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kevinoc81 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:42 am

I got him in the fifth round of a ten teamer as my 3rd WR, and I had him last year. For the record, I am worried. I think he should be a good #3, but I'm not banking on it. A lot of hype this year for some reason and if you had him last year you know that he has plenty of 1-3 pt. weeks in him and is not a reliable #1 or #2.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk