Denver Pass Defense - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Denver Pass Defense

Moderator: Football Moderators

Denver Pass Defense

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:56 am

How do you measure them up? They were pretty bad last year yet have the best cornerback in the game according to many people. Does this mean you should start 2nd and 3rd wr's that play against them but not the 1st string wr (who would presumably be covered by Champ Bailey)?
"It is unworthy of excellent men to lose hours like slaves in the labor of calculation, which could be safely relegated to anyone else if machines were used." - Leibniz
KolbSaves
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Denver Pass Defense

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:19 am

KolbSaves wrote:How do you measure them up? They were pretty bad last year yet have the best cornerback in the game according to many people. Does this mean you should start 2nd and 3rd wr's that play against them but not the 1st string wr (who would presumably be covered by Champ Bailey)?

Champ Bailey wasn't all that sharp last year and was picked on. Start your #1 guy against him.
[b]Akers is the man!!!!!![/b]
PlayingWithFire
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:32 am

Yeah, he didn't look so super last year. Jerry Porter tore him up (granted it was in the snow) but other guys beat him deep as well.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:12 pm

They also lost their starting SS from last yr.

We can expect to see lots and lots of 3 wide sets against DEN as their secondary is obviously the biggest weakness on that D. They upgraded at both DLine and LBer while they focused on drafting CBs in the 2005 draft. In fact, they draft 3 CBs this yr. After Bailey and Walls (who is shakey), they are going to be forced to start rookies in nickle back sets.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Timbathia » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:02 pm

Actually the main problem with the Denver def is the lack of pressure they put on the QB. The front 4 last year were cr@p, and the team doesnt blitz very effectively.

Chad Johnson also gave Champ a schlacking last year, but if you give the QB that much time......

Unless the new D-line shows signs of getting some pressure on, I would start any WR playing Denver (and I am a Bronco fan).
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby CC » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:43 pm

After spending their first 3 picks on corners you would think that the Broncos plan to stop Randy Moss is to run a 0-0-11 defense.

I wouldn't pay any attention to who the starting corner is, I would just base my WRs on how many passing yards a team is giving up a game. Teams will just move their top WRs around as much as they can to avoid having Champ shadow their studs.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:45 pm

They lost 2 great secondary people in Kelly Herndon and Kenoy Kennedy. I think they'll be in bad shape against the pass.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Return to Football Talk