What's the deal with the Portis' durability "issues" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What's the deal with the Portis' durability "issues"

Moderator: Football Moderators

What's the deal with the Portis' durability "issues"

Postby Azrael » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:57 pm

Concerning Clinton Portis, I am amazed how people can't seem to get over:

1. The injury history with Denver backs. If you are truly doing your homework, this is a ludicrous thing to consider unless you are superstitious. The injuries do not pertain to Portis himself. There should be no concern. 'Nuff said.

2. The nonsense of him not lasting a whole season? What gives people this impression? He was totally healthy all last year. He touched the ball over 300 times. There seems to be no injury questions about Barber or Charlie Garner who are both smaller and weigh less than Portis. Curtis Martin was money most of his career and he is Portis' size and weight. LT is "proven" healthy according to many posters but is smaller and weighs only 15 more pounds than Portis.

Everyone is capable of being injured my friends. I don't see what the big to do is about Portis not making it the whole year. Ricky only played one full season prior to last year, but he's "more durable." Well maybe the past 2 years were flukes and he's really injury prone. Maybe Miami heavily relying on him and the fact that he handled the rock 430 times last year is going to wear him down.

My prediction is that Williams will get hurt before Portis IF either do.

There's no injury issue with Portis people, why create one? Is it just something people are trying to fabricate to convince themselves to pick LT or Ricky?
Last edited by Azrael on Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brdmaverick » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:10 pm

maybe there is a Raiders' fan out there somewhere with a Clinton Portis voo doo doll.
Go Pats!
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:26 pm

He seems to have a little bit more fragile looking body than Ricky or Lt and also, with his ability to make people miss, sometimes defenders tackle him awkardly or chop his knees. I would gladly take him number 3. I doubt he will get injured, but I also highly doubt that LT or Ricky will get injured.

Friendliness: %

Postby brdmaverick » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:43 pm

Anyone could get injured at any time, no one is immune. Priest Holmes and Fred Taylor are the only two running backs this year in which injury concerns have entered my mind while drafting.

I am more than willing to take my chances with guys like Edge, Faulk, and Portis. Fragile Fred still scare me though. It's one of those 'Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me' kinda things. After losing him for the year in week 2 only two years ago, I basically made a vow to never draft him again. (Remember how every year becames the year that Terrell Davis would finally be the Terrell of old, well, it didn't happen)
Go Pats!
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Challie » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:05 am

If I had concerns about him, it's not that I could predict an injury - but that I'm leery of Shanahan's behavior. All it takes is a nick here and there and suddenly there's a RB controversy, goal-line vulturing or the dreaded RBBC.

That being said, I've had #1 and #8 picks in my two big drafts so what I think about Portis has been a moot point.

4 days and counting!
Challie

Friendliness: %

Return to Football Talk