Something stinks in this league!!!! NEED HELP, PLEASE - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Something stinks in this league!!!! NEED HELP, PLEASE

Moderator: Football Moderators

Something stinks in this league!!!! NEED HELP, PLEASE

Postby macca » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:51 pm

Okay, here's the situation. I am NOT in the league I am discussing, just a friend of someone who is. Last night there was an on-line draft for this league. There is a hold over situation where a team can hold over a player that they picked after round 8 of last year or got off of waivers. My friend had the 11th pick. I was able to watch the draft because he and I have another team and both leagues have the same sign in on CBS. I digress.

In the first round things are going pretty much as planned, Manning, LT, Priest etc. Then it get's to the 9th pick and Trent Green is selected. The guy who selected him says his internet, along with the guy who has pick 10(they were at work together), is down and his pre-draft rankings caused him to take Green. Then pick 10 takes Vick because of the problem with the internet. Okay, I understand they probably didn't want those guys. Then my friend takes Moss. Then pick 12/13 take a player who was a keeper, screwing up the process even more. Then it get's back to my friend and he takes Owens. This is where it gets screwy.

The guy who missed his pick says that they are going to go back and do their picks over along with the picks 12/13. The guy before my friend at 11, picks Moss at 10. My friend said that was bunk and the guy said, "Well fine, I'm going to be taking Owens then." My friend gets pissed because he showed his hand and THEN they cut the draft off, giving pick 10 the option to take a guy that he knew wasn't going to get back to him. Now they are saying "tough sh_t" to my friend. I told him that it was their tough luck that they were too lazy to pre rank their players and their internet went down.

I am just one semi-impartial voice. My friend asked me to post this and get some input from people who are truly unbiased. What do you guys think should happen? By the way. My friend ended up taking Moss and then Holt because Owens was taken at 10. Thanks for the input.

ETA: I do swear on everything that is Holy that I am not the person who was in the draft, just a friend.
macca
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:03 pm

Well, in all fairness and if these guys are friends, they should do a redraft. Doesn't sound like the commish is doing a very good job at running the show. and it doesn't sound like the other clowns did a good job pre ranking.
I recently had a draft on AOL (first time for that) and there were a bunch of times the draft room would go down and lock dudes out it was a mess but the comish, did his best to rectify all the errant picks. When it happened to me I got larry Johnson, which I didn't mind cause I drafted priest.

If he's such a good friend why didn't you scream at him and tell to go RB RB or RB WR. WR WR is train wreck waiting to happen in a 12 team league.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chaucer » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:09 pm

Woof.

My .02--I'd say keep things as they went down before the repicks. Internet crashes happen, it's too bad those guys ended up with QBs, but it wasn't anything malicious, just bad luck. If Peyton Manning gets his foot run over by a bus tomorrow, it's the same deal--bad luck, nothing you can do. And even that aside, two owners can't unilaterally decide they're redoing their draft picks in the middle of the draft...
Chaucer
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BeefSandwiches » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:10 pm

Online drafts have difficulties all the time and all you can do is take people at their word when they say the draft room selected a different person than they planned to take.

If your friend took Moss in the first place and then ended up with him, what's the problem? You said 12/13 took keepers which I don't exactly understand, but that shouldn't have anything to do with Moss.

Always carefully pre-rank for an online draft ;-D
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
- Homer J. Simpson
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby macca » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:10 pm

Redskins Win wrote:Well, in all fairness and if these guys are friends, they should do a redraft. Doesn't sound like the commish is doing a very good job at running the show. and it doesn't sound like the other clowns did a good job pre ranking.
I recently had a draft on AOL (first time for that) and there were a bunch of times the draft room would go down and lock dudes out it was a mess but the comish, did his best to rectify all the errant picks. When it happened to me I got larry Johnson, which I didn't mind cause I drafted priest.

If he's such a good friend why didn't you scream at him and tell to go RB RB or RB WR. WR WR is train wreck waiting to happen in a 12 team league.

LOL Good point. Not very nice of me. We took Moss and Owens in our draft 1/2 in a 10 teamer, so I think he was going for it again. Unfortunately, a redraft doesn't sound like an option. Also, about the commish, he is the guy who picked #9, from what I understand, so he is saying my buddy is a cry baby and to get over it.
macca
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby macca » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:13 pm

BeefSandwiches wrote:Online drafts have difficulties all the time and all you can do is take people at their word when they say the draft room selected a different person than they planned to take.

If your friend took Moss in the first place and then ended up with him, what's the problem? You said 12/13 took keepers which I don't exactly understand, but that shouldn't have anything to do with Moss.

His problem is that he ended up with Holt instead of Owens and he wants Owens. His contention is that it is not his fault that their internet went down and they didn't pre rank their players, so why is he the one who is paying the price.
macca
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Matthias » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:19 pm

doesn't sound like a huge deal. yah, your friend tipped his hand, but these things happen. and if i was the commish, i'd also be saying get over it.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BeefSandwiches » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:21 pm

macca wrote:
BeefSandwiches wrote:Online drafts have difficulties all the time and all you can do is take people at their word when they say the draft room selected a different person than they planned to take.

His problem is that he ended up with Holt instead of Owens and he wants Owens. His contention is that it is not his fault that their internet went down and they didn't pre rank their players, so why is he the one who is paying the price.

The other players don't have much control over their Internet going down and I don't think someone should get screwed by an accident. If you are friends, you should be able to take the other owners at their word; if this is a public league, you entered at your own risk - it's the wild west out there, anything goes.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
- Homer J. Simpson
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby macca » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:25 pm

BeefSandwiches wrote:
macca wrote:

The other players don't have much control over their Internet going down and I don't think someone should get screwed by an accident. If you are friends, you should be able to take the other owners at their word; if this is a public league, you entered at your own risk - it's the wild west out there, anything goes.

They are all friends and family. The problem is that my friend is the one getting screwed over by THEIR accident. Everyone else got their picks, except for my friend. By the way, thank you for the responses.
macca
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Paladyr » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:31 pm

I don't see it at a big deal. I see your point on the cards being drawn and then doing it over again, but a single player doesn't make your team. He should be able to draft a great team no matter what happens in the draft.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk