Protect yourself at all times - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Protect yourself at all times

Moderator: Football Moderators

Protect yourself at all times

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:40 pm

This is supposed to be ligit......who knows

From the Colorado Bureau of Investigation:

Southern California law enforcement professionals assigned to detect new threats to personal security issues, recently discovered what type of information is embedded in the credit card type hotel room keys used throughout the industry.

Although room keys differ from hotel to hotel, a key obtained from The "Double Tree" chain that was being used for a regional Identity Theft Presentation was found to contain the following the information:

a.. Customers (your) name
b.. Customers partial home address
c.. Hotel room number
d.. Check in date and check out date
e.. Customer's (your) credit card number and expiration date!

When you turn them in to the front desk your personal information is there for any employee to access by simply scanning the card in the hotel scanner. An employee can take a hand full of cards home and using a scanning device, access the information onto a laptop computer and go shopping at
your expense.

Simply put, hotels do not erase the information on these cards until an employee re-issues the card to the next hotel guest. At that time, the new guest's information is electronically "overwritten" on the card and the previous guest's information is erased in the overwriting process. But until the card is rewritten for the next guest, it usually is kept in a drawer at the front desk with YOUR INFORMATION ON IT!!!!

The bottom line is: Keep the cards, take them home with you, or destroy them. NEVER leave them behind in the room or room wastebasket, and NEVER turn them in to the front desk when you check out of a room. They will not charge you for the card (it's illegal) and you'll be sure you are not leaving a lot of valuable personal information on it that could be easily lifted off with any simple scanning device card reader. For the same reason, if you arrive at the airport and discover you still have the card key in your pocket, do not toss it in an airport trash basket. Take it home and destroy it by cutting it up, especially through the electronic information strip!

Information courtesy of:
Sergeant K. Jorge,
Detective Sergeant,
Pasadena Police Department
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:05 pm

8-o
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:14 pm

Thats interesting, I travel a fair bit and usually take those cards home for my daughter who uses them as play credit cards at her "Grocery store"

I'd be surprised to find out they contained CC info, but I will check into it on my next trip.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:32 pm

yeah im doubting that they contain that sort of information. You would pretty much be a sitting duck!
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:19 pm

Looks like another urban legend...

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/hotelkey.asp
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hastur » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:38 pm

I can't help it! Everytime I see a post from Goatwacker, all my brain thinks is "Hi! My names BBAAARRRRRFFFFFF"!
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:08 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:Looks like another urban legend...

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/hotelkey.asp

I feel shame
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:27 pm

hastur wrote:I can't help it! Everytime I see a post from Goatwacker, all my brain thinks is "Hi! My names BBAAARRRRRFFFFFF"!
hehe aint that a great movie. ;-D

"i see your schwartz is as big as mine, now lets see how well you , handle it." hehe i luv that movie
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:19 pm

hastur wrote:I can't help it! Everytime I see a post from Goatwacker, all my brain thinks is "Hi! My names BBAAARRRRRFFFFFF"!

That's short for Barfalomew.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:29 pm

Redskins Win wrote:I feel shame

Hari kari grasshopper.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk