Does your league have an approval period on trades?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does your league have an approval period on trades??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Does your league have an approval period on trades??

Postby Bronco_7 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:27 am

Our league has a 48 hour approval period on trades. Last year the approval period was 24 hours. I have complained repeatedly about the 48 hour rule because that gives less time each week to get trades done and still have players available for the game that Sunday.

How long is everyone elses approval period and am I wrong saying 24 hours is a more reasonable time period??
Bronco_7
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:37 am

Mine is 48 hours also But I to wish it was shorter like 24 hours.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:52 am

Depends on your league. If everybody normally checks the league daily, 24 hours should be fine. If not, go with 48. Otherwise, you'll wind up with people trying to time trades to go through while some owners are offline, which really bypasses the whole point of the waiting period.

Just my opinion, of course. This is one of those whatever-the-league-agrees-on-is-good issues. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:37 am

2 days ;-D
BaseballFann0008
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lmcjaho » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:49 pm

In my $$$ leagues trades go through the commish - only collusion will cause a trade to be vetoed (as it should be) so their is no waiting period other than for the commish to review the trade and approve it.

That being said, in one of my free leagues we changed it to 24 horus because 48 was too long...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Retet » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:38 am

lmcjaho wrote:In my $$$ leagues trades go through the commish - only collusion will cause a trade to be vetoed (as it should be) so their is no waiting period other than for the commish to review the trade and approve it.

That being said, in one of my free leagues we changed it to 24 horus because 48 was too long...

Wow, this is the best method I've heard of. I play in one league where practically every tade gets vetoed if they think one team is getting "the advantage". The result only perceived "balanced" trades get though.

And to the original poster's question: 48hours, which I think is too long as well.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Brock Landers » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:57 am

We nixed trade voting completely. We now do trades by point differential only. Players have to be within a pre-determined amount of points. If the players arent of the same caliber, then other players have to be factored in to make up the point difference.

Our rules:
1. Any trade is approved regardless of point differential through week 4.
2. Weeks 5-12, players must be within 50 points of each other. If not, other players must be included to achieve equality in points.
3. After week 8, teams can only trade with teams that are within two places (either direction) in total points in the standings. Example 7th overall can trade with 5,6,8,9......1st can trade with 3,4. The purpose is to limit player dumps and collusion late in the year when the money is on the line.
4. No trades after week 12.

These rules are a bit harsh, but our league used to have some untrustworthy fellows. These rules have made things more competitive and no one complains about dumps and collusion. Owners figure out the numbers, the commish varifies it and it goes through immediately. No fuss.
Angels Live In My Town
Brock Landers
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:13 pm

:-P 4 freakin' agonizing days!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:30 am

Brock Landers wrote:3. After week 8, teams can only trade with teams that are within two places (either direction) in total points in the standings. Example 7th overall can trade with 5,6,8,9......1st can trade with 3,4. The purpose is to limit player dumps and collusion late in the year when the money is on the line.

These rules are a bit harsh, but our league used to have some untrustworthy fellows. These rules have made things more competitive and no one complains about dumps and collusion. Owners figure out the numbers, the commish varifies it and it goes through immediately. No fuss.

Okay - other than the week 12 deadline the rules in general seem to totally ignore the biggest point of trades - that value is in the eye of the beholder. If I have 4 RBs of good quality but only 1 WR and the league starts 2 of each I would be happy to trade a stud RB for a mediocre WR because the positional need means more than the player's "points value" to me. To force me to make another team include extra players (which may be a deal-breaker) is ridiculous.

The real killer though is the rule I left in the quote above - this is the worst rule of the bunch IMO as all it does is keep the strong stronger and the weak weaker - how can a team hope to move up if you only let them trade with other weak teams?!?

Seems to me like after week 8 your league would have a few teams that were more or less deadweight and the top teams would be a lock...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:38 am

Our trades are immediate.

We're all friends and no one would dump players.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk