Does the big DAYNE have any value???? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does the big DAYNE have any value????

Moderator: Football Moderators

Does the big DAYNE have any value????

Postby Mrpu » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:35 am

Well.....with Anderson hurt and Bell gaining 40 something yards does Dayne get any carries in week two??? I'm thinking that he does because Bell didn't perform when Shanny needed him to? What do you guys and gals think??? Thanks
Mrpu
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mrpu » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:28 pm

so I'm guessing no value?
Mrpu
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:34 pm

I'm stashing him away on my bench in one league. He "might" have some good value if Bell struggles or gets nicked up again. I think he's worth a bench spot in deep leagues
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:52 pm

Wait and see the results of Anderson's MRI today. He reportedly was running on the sidelines trying to work out the injury. He said it felt like he had a charley horse in his side. The MRI results should be out later today.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:34 pm

I've posted this before so forgive me if it bores you from repetitiveness. Denver's stud running back always seems to be someone we never expected. Terrell Davis was a low draft choice in 1995 and ended up being a superstar. Then the injury and out of nowhere Olandis Gary ends up being a stud. Gary gets hurt and some guy in his mid-twenties named Mike Anderson ends up being a top rookie. Portis may be the only exception to the rule, but when he left town, nobody thought Reuben Droughns would be the next big thing. So, with all of that said, yes, I think stashing Ron Dayne isn't a bad idea if you have the roster space.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Guru » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:33 pm

anyone know the results to anderson's mri?
"Let's hug it out"
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:31 am

In deeper leagues, I think Dayne is a solid waiver wire pickup after this week. Best case scenario, he takes over week 2 and you plug him into your lineup week 3.

Realistically, If Anderson can't go, Dayne is automatically the backup RB in Denver. And Bell has in no way, shape, or form established himself in any way at the #1 spot. For all we know if Anderson doesn't start week 2, it could be Dayne and not Bell...

----

For all those people who are hating on Ron Dayne just because he is Ron Dayne, just look at what Reuben Droughns did in Denver last season. Sure Dayne was a real turd in New York, but Denver is another story entirely. Denver runs the same the one-cut style Dayne was familiar with back in Wisconson, while the Giant's ran a totally different scheme that didn't fit his strengths at all.

In Denver Dayne won't have time to dance behind the line and wait for the hole, because the holes open up so fast. Reports out of training camp and the preseason showed Dayne picking up the system and readjusting his running style. From his preseason play you could really see him running downhill instead of playing twinkle toes and trying to hit homeruns. I think he can be a very effective runner.. and is the type of guy you have to pickup a week too early just so you're not a week too late.

----

BTW this "transcript" was posted on another msgboard about a week ago, and it may or may not be 100% accurate. More than enough reason to pickup Dayne off waivers though IMO.

Ted Sundquist the Bronco’s GM was on KLZ 560 AM this morning in Denver. I meant to post this earlier so I wouldn’t forget what he said, but I couldn’t get to it until lunch so I’ll do my best to rehash what he said.

Paraphrasing:

Q: Radio Guy - Talk about Mike Anderson…

A. Sundquist - Mike Anderson is a guy we knew would be able to shoulder the load this year. While he’s seen as being an older guy, his body is relatively young. He came into camp in tremendous shape and has never really been threatened as the starter. He’s going to get the bulk of the carries this year barring injury.

Q: Radio Guy – If something were to happen to Anderson, would we see RBBC?

A. Sundquist – You’d definitely see both Tatum and Ron get some work. We felt privately that the Giant’s system was a horrible fit for Ron, and we were quite excited to get him in here. I’ve said all along, the NFL is about 4-5 yard runs, it never has been and never will be about 60-80 yard runs. Ron Dayne is a guy that can give us 20-25 carries a game and move the chains. Ron is a big strong back, especially from the waist down. He’s much more like the Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson and Olandis Gary than people realize.

Q: Radio Guy – So Tatum Bell would be more of a change of pace back?

A: Sundquist – Yes, we’d like to see Ron wear down the defense with 20+ carries and then bring in Tatum to see what he can do, but both of them will certainly get a shot.

Here is a quote from April that supports the Dayne position:

Tyler; Springfield, Ohio
What are your plans for the running back situation? Who will start? Who will be the backup? What will Maurice Clarett's situation be?

Ted Sundquist
Right now we have a number of players on the roster at that position. Mike Anderson is an outstanding player in our system. He's coming off an injury and will be expected to return at 100 percent. The great thing about Mike is that he's very flexible. He's played both running back and fullback and been successful at both. Tatum Bell is coming off his rookie season. You always see the biggest jump in improvement from that rookie season to the sophomore season and we expect that from Tatum now that he's been in the system and understands the speed of the game a little bit better. Quentin Griffin is coming off of a knee injury but everything points toward him being 100 percent again. He's probably going to be more of a third-down type of guy, a guy that we can use in the throwing game as a change up type of back, that's where he's been very successful. Ron Dayne is trying to resurrect his career. We feel like his skills coming out of college were a little more conducive to what we try to do here than maybe what the Giants system was. We felt like this may be a good try and he did too. He's got the physical skills and the size that we're looking for to be a pounder as well, so he'll be in the mix. Then Maurice's deal will be to get back into the speed of playing football every day, with practice, games and that type of thing since he's been out of it for a while. Obviously any young back coming in has to learn our system, so I imagine we'll ease him into it. It's going to take a little bit of time and there's going to be a lot of competition in training camp and only so many carries for each one of those guys so they're all going to have to make the most out of it. But I would expect going into the season that you'd probably see Mike and Tatum at the top of the position.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby The Lung » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:59 am

Dayne is flying off the waiver wire in most of my leagues. I would have picked him up in a second if I had the roster space. I'm not about to drop someone for lack of production after just one week.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:27 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I've posted this before so forgive me if it bores you from repetitiveness. Denver's stud running back always seems to be someone we never expected. Terrell Davis was a low draft choice in 1995 and ended up being a superstar. Then the injury and out of nowhere Olandis Gary ends up being a stud. Gary gets hurt and some guy in his mid-twenties named Mike Anderson ends up being a top rookie. Portis may be the only exception to the rule, but when he left town, nobody thought Reuben Droughns would be the next big thing. So, with all of that said, yes, I think stashing Ron Dayne isn't a bad idea if you have the roster space.

I've been behind the wheel of the Ron Dayne bandwagon since the early preseason. Would anybody else like to jump on board now? It's his job by week four. That's been my prediction for some time and I'm sticking by it. Bell is hurt, Anderson has fumbilitis and Ron Dayne looked great. ;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:36 pm

Screw it. Anderson's my horse in this race. I'm not sacrificing any other roster spots on this crap.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk