Denver's "Stud" Running Back theory: Outdated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Denver's "Stud" Running Back theory: Outdated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:55 pm

biju wrote:Quick question: who are other O-line coordinators that you would put in the elite level, and more importantly, how long have they been in their current job? I can see the impact of a good O-line coach being extremely important and taking a bit of time to realize the impact.

then again, it's only one piece of the equation. You have to have a head coach want a featured back and not have a goalline vulture (like TJ Duckett in Atlanta).

Just curious. ;-D

Russ Grimm in PIT

Mike Solari in KC - 9th season there.

Jim McNally is regualrly regarded as one of the best in the business - he's starting his 2nd yr in BUF.

Hudson Houck is one of the better OLine coaches in the league. He came over to Miami this offseason after leaving SD.

Joe Bugel was a coach with Gibbs back in the 80's, and when Gibbs returned, he brought Bugel with him. Joe Bugel has coached some of the most dominating OLines in NFL history.

Tom Lovat in SEA was a longtime offensive line coaching legend. He retired recently and Bill Laveroni took over there. Laveroni had been under Lovats mentoring for a while so the transition would be smooth.

Im sure ther are others I am missing, but these are the ones that jump to the top of the list for me.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pete123444 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:01 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Great topic.

I have one name for you fellas - Alex Gibbs.

Alex Gibbs was the OLine coach in Denver from 1995-2003. He is considered the architect of the awesome running system Denver employed during that time. He is a very hands on coach who can be viewed as more of a teacher than other coaches. When he left Denver, many people saw it as the end of an era and many wondered how long it would take for the running game in Denver to suffer now that he left - not if it would suffer, but when.

You know who hired Gibbs during the '03 - '04 offseason?
Atlanta. He immediately transformed that Oline into the rushing powerhouse it is today - they finished as the top rushing team in 2004.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coachbio.jsp?id=86

If you want to know whats happening to the Denver situation, the conversation begins and ends with Alex Gibbs.

Now I dont have an answer as to when or what event will signal the end to the DEN running system dynasty, but what is clear is that it is only a matter of time.

Not only is CB right on here(as usuall). But he predicted this to start happening slowly at the beginning of the 2004 season. I'm telling y'all right now. When CB writes something. Copy it and commit it to memory. He's 99% right on!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:04 pm

Thanks Pete - thats a great compliment.

Now if only people would have listened to me about Culpepper. :-#
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pete123444 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:06 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Thanks Pete - thats a great compliment.

Now if only people would have listened to me about Culpepper. :-#

I did.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby DGroundhog » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:32 pm

I think when you consider the 'any Denver RB is a good RB' theory you also have to consider the 'Mike Shanahan hates fantasy football players' theory. Applying one theory without applying the other theory leads to divergent conclusions, i.e. 'Denver's RB will be a fantasy star', and 'Denver's RB will be a pain in the a$$ to own'.

Either way, this year looks like both theories are in play and the smart thing to do is wait for one to emerge before you rely on him in your line-up.
DGroundhog
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:36 pm

Denver always sucks when they play in Florida. Just look at the Tampa/Jacksonville games last year, and Shannahan's historical record playing @ Miami. They just can't handle the heat.. especially their speedy, undersized linemen. The only reason you would be optimistic about that game, was due to the potential disaster that could have been Miami. That turned out not to be the case and it was a bad matchup...
------

Wasn't surprising to most that Griffin had a bad game in week 2 against the highly touted Jacksonville run defense.. but how much of that was the team and how much was due the game conditions? Same thing in week 4 @ Tampa when Griffin was replaced by Droughns, both of them got shutdown in that game. (Droughns 8/20, Griff 21/66).

Away jerseys (dark blue) suck up the heat and humidity in that type of environment.
---

Even Terrell Davis in his heyday got SHUTDOWN @ Miami.

1998 Denver Bronco's 14-2 (Super Bowl Champions)
Terrell Davis - 392/2008/21, 25/217/2
Week 16 @ MIA 16/29/0, 1/5/0
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:46 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Great topic.

I have one name for you fellas - Alex Gibbs.

Alex Gibbs was the OLine coach in Denver from 1995-2003. He is considered the architect of the awesome running system Denver employed during that time. He is a very hands on coach who can be viewed as more of a teacher than other coaches. When he left Denver, many people saw it as the end of an era and many wondered how long it would take for the running game in Denver to suffer now that he left - not if it would suffer, but when.

You know who hired Gibbs during the '03 - '04 offseason?
Atlanta. He immediately transformed that Oline into the rushing powerhouse it is today - they finished as the top rushing team in 2004.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coachbio.jsp?id=86

If you want to know whats happening to the Denver situation, the conversation begins and ends with Alex Gibbs.

Now I dont have an answer as to when or what event will signal the end to the DEN running system dynasty, but what is clear is that it is only a matter of time.

Aren't most of the linemen still the same though? So isn't it the same group of guys doing the same things that they learned from Gibbs?

One game where the entire offense was off, too early to start spelling doom in Denver, they certainly didn't miss a beat in preseason and it'll take more than one regular season game to convince me otherwise.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Pete123444 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:46 pm

The "RB system" that Denver had is on the decline. Not gone yet but going. That's not to say that T Bell or M Anderson couldn't have great years. All it says is the old plug anyone in and they will do good is on it's way out. I didn't check but I would guess that at least 3 and probably 4 of the starting lineman were there 2 years ago. They're getting older and don't have the "teacher" there anymore. That's going to have a slight effect. But that effect will get bigger and bigger the more you get away from 2003.

Miami really just whooped Denver's butts. It happens to the best of em. They'll bounce back.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Broncmet » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:31 pm

Cornbread is right, Gibbs was the architect of the Denver running game. In my opinion TErrell Davis was the only "great" running back we had by doing what he did for the 3 seasons he was healthy.

Something else for you guys flocking to Atlanta. I believe Alex Gibbs retired after last season.
Broncmet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:48 pm

Broncmet wrote:Something else for you guys flocking to Atlanta. I believe Alex Gibbs retired after last season.

He retired as the offensive line coach, but stayed on as a "consultant" meaning he basically only has to work a couple days a week.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk