Ghost Ship - what to do? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ghost Ship - what to do?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ghost Ship - what to do?

Postby saundman2000 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:26 pm

Theres a team owner in my league who up and quit... got his money back and ran.

This left the team that he drafted adrift as a ghost ship. How is this situation normally handled in terms of lineup/roster/transactions, etc.?

I'm angry about the situation and I'm not the commish, I just want to know how this normally plays out. The winnings of the league are now 1/12 less and I don't want this ghost ship to screw me out of anything else.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Santana » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:29 pm

leave it be. Everyone gets a free win out of it, although it's not really totally fair for those that get to play him twice, but as a league you can vote to either not touch it, or have someone set his lineup each week. Whatever you do, don't drop all the players, that will unfairly help whomever gets the top 2 or 3 guys.
Santana
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby awwchrist » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:32 pm

freeze his roster. no ins or outs.

whenever someone plays against that guys team, they're really playing the average points scored that week for all teams ACTIVE (not his).

Hopefully you have moderator/commish abilities to make such changes in your league. Not sure which provider you are using.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BeefSandwiches » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:43 pm

I have had this happen in two different leagues of mine in the past and each was handled differently-

1. The league voted on a projections website that would be used to set the guys lineup and each week the commish was responsible for getting the lineup set. This was not only a pain in the arse for the commish, but it also presented a problem because the phantom team started winning some games and would have made the playoffs. The team who finished right behind in the standings took the playoff spot, but it was odd.
2. We did what awwchrist suggested and used the average which worked out much better.

Best-case-scenario is to find someone to take over his team, but if you can't do that then use the average.

:-? Are you looking for someone to replace him? How much was the league?
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
- Homer J. Simpson
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby FatFoot » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:57 pm

Ideally, you get someone else to buy in and run that team, but that's not likely. In a money league, people like to have a say in their draft. Barring that, Have the commish run the team to the best of his ability, trying as hard as a player would be expected to get the win. If the ghost team wins, split the winning money through the whole league. And then make fun of the dude who bailed.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:25 pm

if it's on sportsline, they now have a feature that will set your best lineup based on their projections...you could use that, but again, on Sportsline
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:27 pm

yeah im the commish of this league. I wouldnt have given his money back except he filed a complaint with paypal saying that i was using his money for gambling and he was not aware of it. Real loser!! anyways i had to give him his money back so he would drop the claim. I am not sure what to do. Right now im trying to find someone to fill the spot but doubht they will pay money to fill it. thanks for the suggestions. WE are using EA sports btw.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:29 pm

I would count it as a bye week in regards to outcome, depending on how the schedule is set-up. The points that a team scores against them can still be used as part of that team. The problem that you don't want is having the abandoned team getting wins and knocking teams out of the playoffs. It is a delicate situation and should involve all owners in on a vote.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby spodog » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:33 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:yeah im the commish of this league. I wouldnt have given his money back except he filed a complaint with paypal saying that i was using his money for gambling and he was not aware of it. Real loser!! anyways i had to give him his money back so he would drop the claim. I am not sure what to do. Right now im trying to find someone to fill the spot but doubht they will pay money to fill it. thanks for the suggestions. WE are using EA sports btw.

Using his money for gambling? LMAO.

Isn't that about 80% of PayPal's transaction flow?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:39 pm

Have the commish set his roster every week based on the weekly start/sit rankings of a decided upon website.... I recommend FFToday.....

On the off chance that the guy's team ends up winning the league, everyone gets their money back...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk