College - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

College

Moderator: Football Moderators

College

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:11 pm

Well guys I just finished my first week of college life. Its a bit of a weird transition from high school. A lot more freedom and free time.

I was talking to a buddy of mine who was always smart but never really gave an effort in high school. He says now that we are in university he has been doing all his work, studying, etc. His reasoning was that he was paying for college and he was there to learn. I am wondering if there is more to it. Could the extra freedom and independence result in a desire to learn?

I had always thought that those underachievers in high school wouldnt fare well in university, but maybe they were under achieving because of al the strict rules and enforcements in high school?

Anybody have some personal experience that relates to this? Just thought I would feel you guys out.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:51 pm

I was an underachiever in high school. It's a shock to y'all, I know.

Before high school, I was always trying my hardest. I was that kid you'd ask for help with whatever work we were doin'. I got mostly A's and the occassional B in whatever math I was takin'. My parents always used to put a lot of pressure on doing well in the classroom, so I was always freakin' about getting anything worse than a B. Eventually, I got that dreaded "C" - and my parents didn't do anything about it.

...so from then on, my fear of being average-to-below-average disappeared. I was content with just getting by. I wasn't interested in college at all. I didn't have dreams of going to the University of Washington, or anything of that nature. If I was going anywhere, it would be at one of the Spokane community colleges (Spokane Community College or Spokane Falls Community College) or Eastern Washington University... neither of which have many academic standards or expectations to speak of.

I took easy/fun classes during my time at high school. I took advantage of early release (at the expense of potential credits). I loaded my schedule full of P.E.'s and teacher's assistant gigs. When a required class came up - like math, science, foreign language, or english - I'd do the bare minimum... if anything to get through it. Hell, in French class I just buddied up with some smart girl. English class... cliff notes. ...etc., etc., etc.

I was in high school to hang out with my buddies and have fun. That's it.

After high school got out, I figured I should probably head off to college, as that's apparently the smart thing to do. So I did...

With college though, well... I pretty much share your buddies' thought... if I'm payin' for it, I'd be dumb not to learn as much as I can and get as much from it as I can. I go to all of my classes, every day... pay attention... take notes... study for my tests. I'm the model student now. Well, I probably still go to a few too many parties, but dammit - it's college. Gotta fit some fun in somewhere.

I've got my independence, but I don't have some crazy new fascination with learning or anything because of it. I want to get my degree, get a job that I dig, and that's about it.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Tiki » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:21 pm

I would also think it's people who are trying to prove to everyone that they can try, do good, and that they can succeed on their own.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:34 pm

Im currently the 'whatever kid' in HS and im pulling off over a 4.0 so far. I cant wait for college, my school is really preppy and stuck-up, everyone around us hates our guts. The stereotyping and such is ridiculous...
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Ironhorse75 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:37 pm

For some I think it's like hitting a brick wall. When in highschool you could always think, I have college... I can try then.

But when you're in college, all thats awaiting you is the real world. And that can be a pretty scary thought.

I think it depends on the teachers too. If I get an interesting professor I'll try harder, otherwise I'm just sliding by with my 3.0 GPA.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MadScott » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:28 pm

True story, the best quarter that I had in college gradewise was my first quarter. I pulled a 3.8 with 15 units. I literally partied every night of the week that quarter. The next quarter, I decided to be more serious and it backfired, a 3.6. I still graduated Cum Laude but never got a 3.8 again.

Message here is don't mess with success. :-b
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:37 pm

NittanyLions wrote:Im currently the 'whatever kid' in HS and im pulling off over a 4.0 so far.

things must have changed since i was in school...4.0 used to be the highest you could get. :-?
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:50 am

Ironhorse75 wrote:For some I think it's like hitting a brick wall. When in highschool you could always think, I have college... I can try then.

But when you're in college, all thats awaiting you is the real world. And that can be a pretty scary thought.

I think it depends on the teachers too. If I get an interesting professor I'll try harder, otherwise I'm just sliding by with my 3.0 GPA.

I think thats true. You guys all raised good points. I think you also dont have most of your friends to goof off with in class. Everyone is college is pretty much there to learn. Being the top of a HS class is pretty easy, but the top of a university class is pretty special.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GreenFish » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:12 am

People go to high school because the "have" to. People go to college because they "want" to. I think this is big on why some people do better in college. I mean when you were a kid and mom asked you to wash the cars you would say "Do I have to? aww mom." Then you got your first car and you would meticulously clean the wheels with a toothbrush. Big difference of "have to" and "want to". It is a totally different attitude.
GreenFish
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:30 am

portisfan24 wrote:
Ironhorse75 wrote:For some I think it's like hitting a brick wall. When in highschool you could always think, I have college... I can try then.

I think thats true. You guys all raised good points. I think you also dont have most of your friends to goof off with in class. Everyone is college is pretty much there to learn. Being the top of a HS class is pretty easy, but the top of a university class is pretty special.

Like Ironhorse, I am also sliding with a 3.0. And also that people try harder in different subjects because when you are interested in what you study, you make the extra effort. Such as... my economics grades were "passable", whereas my Mass Comm and PoliSci grades were pretty good.

College is definitely a gear shift from high school. I used to listen to adults blabber on about how people really "find themselves" in college, where you take the steps on how you will live the rest of your life. In a lot of respects, I am seeing the sense in that (I'm a sophie now, so my first year's out of my way).

One thing though... my advice is to just have fun. And yes, even at the expense of studies. My first semester, I tried to do it all... full load (15 units... basic), worked 25 hours, didn't drink on week nights, all that jazz. I think I got a 2.2. And though it sounds bizarre, but second semester, I was much less adament about class attendance, alcohol on tuesdays... or wednesdays... or whenever there was an excuse to... and I actually did a lot better. So take it seriously, but not too seriously.

Have fun Portisfan... and all you other froshies out there...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk