College - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

College

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flockers » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:43 pm

I'm scraping by with a 2.3 out of 4 GPA. It's just pushing a B-. I was an honor roll student all though elementary and junior high. Once I started highschool, I had 2 things on my mind: girls and friends. I didn't do much in my sophomore and junior years. I just hung out, worked, and played paintball every chance I could get.

After I found out I only needed a 2.0 to go to the college I wanted, why would I work harder? I decided to try something this year though. I'm going to go to school unless I'm so sick I can't stand up, take notes for once, do 85% of my homework, and actually study for a test. If I can maintin a 2.67 (a B average), my tuition is reduced by 15% a year. Which is a fair amount when it costs about $25,000 a year to go to the institute.

I do wish I would've done a little better so I could relax my senior season, but it's my own fault.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:15 am

Flockers wrote:I'm scraping by with a 2.3 out of 4 GPA. It's just pushing a B-. I was an honor roll student all though elementary and junior high. Once I started highschool, I had 2 things on my mind: girls and friends. I didn't do much in my sophomore and junior years. I just hung out, worked, and played paintball every chance I could get.

After I found out I only needed a 2.0 to go to the college I wanted, why would I work harder? I decided to try something this year though. I'm going to go to school unless I'm so sick I can't stand up, take notes for once, do 85% of my homework, and actually study for a test. If I can maintin a 2.67 (a B average), my tuition is reduced by 15% a year. Which is a fair amount when it costs about $25,000 a year to go to the institute.

I do wish I would've done a little better so I could relax my senior season, but it's my own fault.

what the Hell college are you going to? SDSU (aka: crappy state school) had an incoming GPA of 3.6 and a 1140 SAT (back when the max was 1600)

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby UtopianHopes » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:05 am

Kind of late now, but for next semester makes sure to take easy classes. Freshman year is where you get a feel for college and your adjusting period. You don’t want to start off failing classes and having to use the mercy rule (3 times you can erase a bad grade) or getting dr (drop classes).

My high school experience was rather slack, little responsibility and mostly fun. I graduated with a 3.2 GPA. and was able to get the bright future scholarship (pays for 75% of college tuition). Florida is ranked around 27/32 states in high school education so it really didn’t help me prepared for college.

Freshman Year, I felt a huge withdrawal from high school. For me high school was a social event that took place every day. We barely had any homework and if I skipped classes I didn’t miss out on much. In college I did poor as I did not bother studying for any classes. I had poor time management skills so I devoted most of my time hanging out with friends and not taking it serious (Still had the high school mentality.). Lucky, for me I took rather easily classes. So, I manage to escape with a 3.1 GPA. In my sophomore year, I now take 15 credits and adequate time for socialize and studying better. I don’t have a joke major, so I actually want to improve upon my GPA as an accountant.

Things that I have learned:
- In order to live a comfortable lifestyle, you need to specialize in a certain area. The United States is moving to a consumer market in which labor jobs are going over sea. (In other words, take it a bit serious).

- I had a tight group of friend in high school. Already 3/6 friends have dropped out of college. (college isn’t for everyone)

- What you did in high school is an improper way to measure intelligence. Unless you’re a genius there is no way you can pass classes without studying and if you are then you should be going to Harvard.

- Fraternities are for different people. Some like it, while others don’t.

- College is a great place to improve upon your social skills. You meet all different types of people.

- You finally have control of your life. Do what you want, you will reap the rewards or pay the consequences later on.

- College gets better as the years go by as you will feel more comfortable.

- Time Management and selection of teachers will be the key to success.

- Be yourself (you don't have to put up with other people stuff).

- If your naïve as me and thought your personality will get you far, you’re kidding yourself.

- Oh, yeah. Freshman girls are easily the most friendliest and approachable females in the university.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:50 am

My biggest recommendation from my time in college is find out which teachers are sticklers for attendance and avoid them like the plague - if you're at all like me and can learn just as well on your own from the textbooks you can easily skip 50% or more of the classes and still score grades in the 80s... Good luck ;-D
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:55 am

UtopianHopes wrote:Kind of late now, but for next semester makes sure to take easy classes. Freshman year is where you get a feel for college and your adjusting period. You don’t want to start off failing classes and having to use the mercy rule (3 times you can erase a bad grade) or getting dr (drop classes).

Hah...wish I could have done that. :,-(

I was pretty much forced into really hard classes for the first three years of college. My senior year was the only year I really had any freedom in taking classes I deemed "easy" or "fun." I'll give you the entire breakdown of my schooling just to show you what I was up against.

First semester, Freshman Year:
4 credits of Chemistry 101 (General Chem.)
4 credits of Physics 101 (Engineering Physics...for whatever reason I decided to take that one instead of the easier physics class...mistake!)
4 credits of Calculus 101
3 credits of required Humanities 101
1 credits of required PE

Second semester - ditto the first, except change all the 101's to 102's. How's that for choice? :-) That weeded out most of the people who were there just to have a fun time and not do any work.

The hits just kept coming...
First semester, Sophomore year:
4 credits of Chemistry 201 (Organic Chem.)
4 credits of Chemistry 251 (Analytical Chem.)
4 credits of Calculus 201
3 credits of required Humanities 201

Take a guess what second semester looked like. :-D Yep, change all those last 1's to 2's. Calc 202 was Differential Equations...fun stuff. !+)

Mind you...these were all REQUIRED classes I had to take to get my degree. I couldn't just fart around and take these whenever...if I didn't take them when I did, I probably wouldn't have graduated in four years. Now, I added in a 3 credit Political Science class in the second semester, which was my first actual elective class. :-°

Little more freedom here...
First semester, Junior Year:
4 credits of Chemistry 301 (Physical Chem. - chemistry + physics = :-S)
3 credits of Practical Organic Chemistry
3 credits of a Chemistry elective (ooooh, an elective in Chemistry? Is that truly possible?) - that was Advanced Organic Chem.
3 credits of required Humanities
3 credits of Poli-Sci (elective)
1 credit of Basic Writing Tutorial - first true "blow-off" class I had...what a joke. You know you're in a good one if football players are in there too. ;-D I only lost 30 total points the entire year out of about 1500.

Second semester, Junior Year:
4 credits of Chem 302
3 credits of Practical Organic 2
3 credits of Polymer Chem (another Chem elective...I had to have at least four of these total to get a degree)
3 credits of required Humanities (finally done with those)
3 credits of Poli-Sci (I was going for a minor at this point because it was easy)

First semester, Senior Year:
4 credits of Chemistry 401 (Inorganic Chem.)
6 credits of Poli-Sci
3 credits of a required Computer programming class
3 credits of Economics (supposed "blow-off" elective class)

Second semester, Senior Year
3 credits of Chemistry 451 (Organometallic Chem.)
6 credits of Poli-Sci (to complete my minor)
3 credits of a required Computer programming class
3 credits of Manufacturing (another supposed "blow-off" elective)
1 credit of Bowling - the only class I ever got to take that was actually "fun."

There you have it...my entire college ledger - 128 credits. I guess I could have taken "more fun" classes other than Poli-Sci, but it looked like an easy minor to get, and I was somewhat interested in it.

(BTW...if you want to read about some of my professors and classes, I have them hidden on my website here. I only did up to Junior year, though. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby defianthart » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:55 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:
NittanyLions wrote:Im currently the 'whatever kid' in HS and im pulling off over a 4.0 so far.

things must have changed since i was in school...4.0 used to be the highest you could get. :-?

Yep, same here. Now, I am feeling old. Haha...

What's that the highest you can get now? Probably depends on the school and scale used...

our AP and honors classes were weighted more heavily. AP was a 5.0 for an A, 4.0 for a B, etc. and honors was 4.5 for an A, etc.
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: College

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:09 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
I was talking to a buddy of mine who was always smart but never really gave an effort in high school. He says now that we are in university he has been doing all his work, studying, etc. His reasoning was that he was paying for college and he was there to learn. I am wondering if there is more to it. Could the extra freedom and independence result in a desire to learn?

Well, I went to HS and college back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, but I think the extra freedom and independence of college works both ways. Some guys crashed and burned - I remember some friends who were very bright who got into drugs or partying pretty heavy and did not complete college at all, others were able to organize their time better and did well while still managing to have a good time. So it comes down to being able to take care of yourself or not.

To the people who are able to pass tests without going to class or barely studying: your schools are ripping you off and you deserve better for the money you're paying. If you're happy about that kind of situation you're still thinking like a high school student.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Flockers » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:20 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
Flockers wrote:I'm scraping by with a 2.3 out of 4 GPA. It's just pushing a B-. I was an honor roll student all though elementary and junior high. Once I started highschool, I had 2 things on my mind: girls and friends. I didn't do much in my sophomore and junior years. I just hung out, worked, and played paintball every chance I could get.

what the Hell college are you going to? SDSU (aka: crappy state school) had an incoming GPA of 3.6 and a 1140 SAT (back when the max was 1600)

The Art Institutes of Minnesota. It's a private college in downtown Minneapolis. It only has 1,300 students. I'm heading there to get my Bachelor's in culinary arts.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby PackerAttack84 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:04 pm

Well...this being my freshman year, the change is pretty big. I'm planning on getting by with a B a quarter, all the rest A's, and if the B is in an advnaced class it can be a C. Which I am going to need this semester. I'm taking an advanced English class which is crazy hard. Luckly, my other classes are Web Page Design, Health and Geometry. Geometry is so easy, we have seniors in it, granite those are the seniors who don't know how to use a protractor. Our first test of the year, learning eachothers names, and the other day we colored and cut out shapes. :-b I'm just planning on taking a bunch of Buisness/Computer and Journalism classes in my later years. Especially senior year, since at this rate I can take pretty much whatever classes I want because I'd be able to graduate halfway through my senior year. I figure that as long as my resume looks good, a 3.75-3.9 ought to get me into the University of Wisconsin...I hope. Otherwise, I'll have to take another route. But hell, I am only a freshman.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk