AOL Fantasy Football? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

AOL Fantasy Football?

Moderator: Football Moderators

AOL Fantasy Football?

Postby FSPowerhouse » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:58 pm

Does anyone have any idea if AOL is any good? I'm managing a league with ESPN right now and from what they are saying, "Our aim is to have our Fantasy Football application operating normally for this Sunday's games" I can't tell if they will get it done 5 days or 4 min before the games start. This is not going to work. Any thoughts?
FSPowerhouse
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:00 pm

AOL is pretty good. There are a TON of customization options, so it can be pretty overwhelming if you haven't used it before. I hadn't so I have encountered some problems setting up my league there but eventually I figured them out. The player browsing/sorting is rather poor though.
"It is unworthy of excellent men to lose hours like slaves in the labor of calculation, which could be safely relegated to anyone else if machines were used." - Leibniz
KolbSaves
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:08 pm

I'm in an AOL league for the first time, not commish but I would stick with yahoo unless your deadset in need of live scoring. There does seem to be many options.
BTW we tried to move our league to yahoo but it was too late as it might be for AOL as well.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:39 pm

I'm in an AOL league here at the Cafe. I personally don't like it that much. I think its a little too complicated and everything. Plus, scoring isn't updated till Tues.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jdogg_ffc » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:49 pm

J2thez929 wrote:I'm in an AOL league here at the Cafe. I personally don't like it that much. I think its a little too complicated and everything. Plus, scoring isn't updated till Tues.

Live scoring sucked Sunday but was much better Mon. night, runs about 2min. behind.

First yr. in AOL for me too not to bad can customize a lot of diff. things like, flex., pts. per reception, QB scoring (4pts for passing TD in our league)

If you can live with a straight up scoring system, 6pts. all TDs, no flex, or pts. per reception nfl.com is the way to go. Way faster scoring, very user friendly etc. Good beginner format.

Otherwise go AOL its not bad at all.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby King Colt » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:06 am

I like the AOL fantasy site. It's powered by Fanball, so that's good. At least it works, which is something that can't be said for ESPN or Fox.

Like others have said, it's a pretty sophisticated system. That's good and bad. Good because you can get almost anything you want out of it, and I mean anything - There are a million options. Bad because it takes a while to set things up (just takes a lot of time, not overly complicated), also bad because it can be difficult for rookie/novice owens to navigate.

I've spent about 4 hours over the past 2 days trying to explain to one of my owners that he can't just Add/Drop to get players on the AOL site. AOL uses two mecahnisms: one for making waiver claims, one for adding free agents. He doesn't get it, and insists that he should be able to simply add/drop for all moves because that's how sportsline worked last year.
King Colt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby killiansjmd » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:32 am

My first time on AOL this year and so far after one week I was dissappointed especially with the live scoring. So far I prefer NFL.com.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:56 am

it supports the most scoring systems of any league manager. It also supports two divisions, and a customizable schedule. It is much harder to navigate/set starters/view other teams etc. I think. For some leagues it may be the only option outside of a pay league.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby GB Packer Fan 2004 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:57 pm

J2thez929 wrote:I'm in an AOL league here at the Cafe. I personally don't like it that much. I think its a little too complicated and everything. Plus, scoring isn't updated till Tues.

Agreed ;-D We are in the same league..

I would stick to yahoo
GB Packer Fan 2004
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby loophole21 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:44 pm

This is my first and last year being in an AOL league. The user interface is annoying, and the live scoring was atrocious. Yahoo is definately more convinient.
loophole21
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk