Most Targeted WR's Week 1 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Most Targeted WR's Week 1

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby rustyk » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:47 am

hah very nice list. i found it interesting that out of the 10 times the ball was thrown to cj, he caught 9 of them. whereas TO caught 7 of 18 and had 1 picked off!
rustyk
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:47 pm

VHawk15 wrote:Bulger can't be accused of locking in on one receiver all the time, or only looking for Holt.

As a Bulger owner/Torry Holt owner for the past two years.. I've come to the realization that Bulger actually seems to have a prefrence for Bruce. Don't get me wrong, Holt is a playmaker and will get his, but unless they are playing in Ram's stadium he is not necessarily the #1 option in that offense in any given week.

Bruce gets the 1st and best look (endzone pass) on a lot of plays. For example this Niner's game this weekend, Holt lit up the scoreboard, but Bruce was the guy they were looking to hit in the endzone. I don't remember a single pass to Holt in the endzone, but I know that Bruce had several. The only time Holt seperates himself from Bruce and is truly the #1 goto WR is when the Ram's play at home on the turf. Holt is the best fantasy WR in the league when he plays at home IMO. No one in the league can stop his 15 yard out pattern on third down.

Bulger has really evolved the past couple of years into throwing to the open man (Curtis/McDonald) and not locking onto Holt. It's the reason why he's going to be an elite QB and lead the NFL in passing yardage this season. The Ram's have a lot of people that can get open. Not too many drives are gonna end with Bulger forcing the ball to Holt for an INT when Curtis is open on an 8 yard comeback.

If I was confident that Bulger would stay healthy for 16 games behind his o-line, I would predict that Bulger breaks Marino's yardage record this season. For every game that he throws for under 250 yards, he has another game where he's approaching 400.
----

P.S. - If it weren't for McDonald, you could make something of Kevin Curtis high targets numbers this week. I could easily see Curtis being a mini-Stokely in terms of yardage (1,000+ yard WR), but with McDonald in on some 3 wide sets, it's really tough to see him keeping that kind of pace. If Bruce or Holt were to get injured, Curtis would automatically be a top15 WR.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Cooner » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:53 pm

rustyk wrote:hah very nice list. i found it interesting that out of the 10 times the ball was thrown to cj, he caught 9 of them. whereas TO caught 7 of 18 and had 1 picked off!

several of those passes to TO were rather forced, as McNabb was trying to work from behind. No big surprise.
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby drmoses » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:19 pm

Cooner wrote:
rustyk wrote:hah very nice list. i found it interesting that out of the 10 times the ball was thrown to cj, he caught 9 of them. whereas TO caught 7 of 18 and had 1 picked off!

several of those passes to TO were rather forced, as McNabb was trying to work from behind. No big surprise.

Exactly...

T.O. had balls thrown behind him and several balls vastly underthrown as well so I wouldn't read into his ratio too much.
Steve Young is Jesus...
drmoses
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 11)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:26 pm

Kensat30 wrote:As a Bulger owner/Torry Holt owner for the past two years.. I've come to the realization that Bulger actually seems to have a prefrence for Bruce.

In 2004, Bruce was targeted 155 times. Holt was targeted 141 times. However, Holt had 94 catches (67%) while Bruce only had 89 catches (57%).

This supports your theory.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Challie » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:28 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Holt lit up the scoreboard, but Bruce was the guy they were looking to hit in the endzone. I don't remember a single pass to Holt in the endzone, but I know that Bruce had several. The only time Holt seperates himself from Bruce and is truly the #1 goto WR is when the Ram's play at home on the turf.

Good Ram observations, Kensat.

I do have to chalk up a lot of the endzone vs. midfield (and home vs. away) disparity to just Holt being faster than Bruce. Once things tighten up in the endzone, and a little bit on natural turf or in weather, Holt can't play as much on his speed and guys being 7 steps off him at the line. When things tighten up, Bruce perhaps still technically runs better routes.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby gablefan » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:35 pm

Excellent post thanks for the info! Keep it up!
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:52 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
VHawk15 wrote:Bulger can't be accused of locking in on one receiver all the time, or only looking for Holt.

As a Bulger owner/Torry Holt owner for the past two years.. I've come to the realization that Bulger actually seems to have a prefrence for Bruce. Don't get me wrong, Holt is a playmaker and will get his, but unless they are playing in Ram's stadium he is not necessarily the #1 option in that offense in any given week.

Bruce gets the 1st and best look (endzone pass) on a lot of plays. For example this Niner's game this weekend, Holt lit up the scoreboard, but Bruce was the guy they were looking to hit in the endzone. I don't remember a single pass to Holt in the endzone, but I know that Bruce had several. The only time Holt seperates himself from Bruce and is truly the #1 goto WR is when the Ram's play at home on the turf. Holt is the best fantasy WR in the league when he plays at home IMO. No one in the league can stop his 15 yard out pattern on third down.

Bulger has really evolved the past couple of years into throwing to the open man (Curtis/McDonald) and not locking onto Holt. It's the reason why he's going to be an elite QB and lead the NFL in passing yardage this season. The Ram's have a lot of people that can get open. Not too many drives are gonna end with Bulger forcing the ball to Holt for an INT when Curtis is open on an 8 yard comeback.

If I was confident that Bulger would stay healthy for 16 games behind his o-line, I would predict that Bulger breaks Marino's yardage record this season. For every game that he throws for under 250 yards, he has another game where he's approaching 400.
----

P.S. - If it weren't for McDonald, you could make something of Kevin Curtis high targets numbers this week. I could easily see Curtis being a mini-Stokely in terms of yardage (1,000+ yard WR), but with McDonald in on some 3 wide sets, it's really tough to see him keeping that kind of pace. If Bruce or Holt were to get injured, Curtis would automatically be a top15 WR.

Definitely in agreement on the Holt/Bruce view here. A couple of years ago when Holt had the high TD numbers, most of those were on big plays not necessarily in the redzone. The knock on Bruce that year was his lack of receiving TDs. He caught fire towards the end of the year when many of those long game breakers of Holt were shut down and the Rams had to rely on moving the ball down the field and striking from the redzone.

As for Curtis, I don't dismiss that target # at all. It was readily apparent in the game that Bulger has a comfort level with him. He even received 3 redzone looks (Holt actually had 4 looks and 3 catches). That's a pretty big # for a "#3 guy". I think he's a good grab now. If something happens to Bruce, he's a lock for the lineup, if not, 60 yds/game X 16 games=960 yds., you've got to figure a couple of TDs to boot. Can't argue with those #s as a WR3.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rustyk » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:20 pm

i understand that mccnabb forced a lot of passes to owens, and rightfully so with him being by far the best reciever on the team. i wasnt trying to insult any players when i said that, i was just looking into the numbers a little more out of curiousity.
rustyk
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:21 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:Awesome. My three wide receivers right in a row(Burleson, Clayton, Driver), tied for 20th, coincidentally with my week 1 TE, Jerramy Stevens. :-P No wonder I freakin' lost by 1 point to the D-Mac owner! :-#

I wouldn't worry about Drivers looks with Walker out of the picture. He should get a ton from Favre. Someone is going to have to pick up those TDs lost by the loss of Javon.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk