Cheating the Cheat Sheets - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cheating the Cheat Sheets

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cheating the Cheat Sheets

Postby DraftDodgers » Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:19 am

Cheat Sheet_01 places Drew Bledsoe 9th among quarterbacks. You are convinced that he's going to make Kurt Warner look like a blind, one-armed man. You cross Warner off the top of your list, pencil in Drew Bledsoe, draft him near the top of the first round of your draft ... and end up at the bottom of your league. Drats!

Internet cheat sheets may tell us who the "experts" think we should choose first ... but our own cheat sheets are to keep us in touch with how good WE think a player will perform. That doesn't mean that we should draft them in much higer positions. Again, with Bledsoe, if you really want him, you can easily snag him in the 3rd or 4th round in most drafts. You wouldn't want to squander an earlier pick on him when you know that your opponents will likely let you "steal" him later on.

Players obviously forget this, as you begin to see guys like William Green and Jeremy Shockey climbing fast in mock drafts and early fantasy drafts. With all the hype over Shockey, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the first round of some drafts. Even if it doesn't go that far, he will certainly be the 2nd TE taken in many drafts this season.

The top 8 or so draft positions should be pretty solid anywhere in the draft, and if you start to see some rookie or second year "sleeper pick" getting drafted ahead of the Top 8, you know that someone has swallowed the hype ... hook, line, and sinker.

The moral of the story is ... if everyone knows about a guy, and they start jumping on the bandwagon ... the guy becomes more of an early round risk than a late round sleeper. Find your own "guys" and keep your thoughts to yourself until after the draft. Otherwise, someone else in your league is gonna grab Deion Branch. Oops.
DraftDodgers

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby cwebb » Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:25 pm

I'd like to keep my thoughts for myself but Dan and Arlo promised not to abuse me in our league... :-)
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Q- Tip » Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:22 pm

Nicely said!!!
Q- Tip

Friendliness: %

Return to Football Talk