Should I panic? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Should I panic?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:57 pm

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot wrote:I think you should of worried before you drafted them somewhere between the 3-4 for Andre and 5ish for Roy. I've been running my mouth all over this and other forums about how I thought Andre Johnson and Hines Ward would be the biggest WR busts this year. Andre is a great WR but the fact that he only accumulated 1100 and 6 last year should of been a flag. It seems that everyone got all excited that he was entering his "magical 3rd year" and paid no attention to the fact that HOU has one of the worst o-lines in the league and Carr gets sacked more then any other QB. Not only that Andre doesn't have another good WR on the other side and DD being a good receiving back gets all the dumps.

Roy's problem is simple. Too many other options around him. I still think Roy will put up good numbers this season (probably better then Johnson) but he wont be consistent. He's going to have a few games with 100+ and 2 TD's and several games with 30 or 40 yards and 0 TD's.

I don't know if I'd completely freak out if I were you but I definitely think both your WR's were/are over-rated.



Let me guess, you knew Willie Parker would have a big game too? Its been one week. Save your ridiculous self-praise for at least week 6.
Image
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6196
Joined: 4 May 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Canada

Postby clmor » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:51 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot wrote:I think you should of worried before you drafted them somewhere between the 3-4 for Andre and 5ish for Roy. I've been running my mouth all over this and other forums about how I thought Andre Johnson and Hines Ward would be the biggest WR busts this year. Andre is a great WR but the fact that he only accumulated 1100 and 6 last year should of been a flag. It seems that everyone got all excited that he was entering his "magical 3rd year" and paid no attention to the fact that HOU has one of the worst o-lines in the league and Carr gets sacked more then any other QB. Not only that Andre doesn't have another good WR on the other side and DD being a good receiving back gets all the dumps.

Roy's problem is simple. Too many other options around him. I still think Roy will put up good numbers this season (probably better then Johnson) but he wont be consistent. He's going to have a few games with 100+ and 2 TD's and several games with 30 or 40 yards and 0 TD's.

I don't know if I'd completely freak out if I were you but I definitely think both your WR's were/are over-rated.



Let me guess, you knew Willie Parker would have a big game too? Its been one week. Save your ridiculous self-praise for at least week 6.


LOL -- great retort. The part I like best -- "running my mouth all over this and other forums" with a join date of last week!!!

In all seriousness, I'm sure -- much like myself -- MANY people have, had and spoke for longer than a week on AJ's value not being anywhere close to his ADP -- there were a lot better options at draft time -- even if you waited for a few rounds, you could still get the same if not better production.

HOU is just a poor environment for fantasy success -- yeah, it's the system, O-Line and Carr but, I think a LOT of it is Capers -- he's just too conservative.

As far as that D Jax and Holt for you players trade -- I would take that immediately. You are only getting rid of AJ on name alone -- not his production. I don't want to go to much into it since there is a trade forum.

Here is a little more thought on AJ from another post I had -- hope all this helps:

I may get torched for this but I'm consistent with this/these thoughts

I think ALL AJ owners should be worried depending on the type of league they are in, their depth and their starting requirements. If it's a keeper or you have solid depth, you can and should keep him. If it's a redraft -- bad things will outweigh the good.

I've been one of the most adamant and outspoken people on this and other forums and in person about avoiding AJ at the price you have to pay for him. Unfortunately, you probably had to use a 3rd round or VERY early 4th round pick on him (this goes back to my remarks about type of league) and you will probably not be able to trade him for what you consider to be fair value -- i.e. getting a Steve Smith, Darrell Jackson or Reggie Wayne.

I would hope that you have someone in your league hoping to buy him somewhat low because of his performance at BUF -- not because of all the REAL reasons he hasn't done well in the past or the reasons he won't reach expectations this year. I would try to move him for a LOT of guys out there. Personally, I may try to start with the guy that has Jimmy Smith and see if he's trying to sell him high thinking Jimmy will fall way off.

The biggest problem to me is not his line or his QB or his supporting cast -- it's the system. Capers is a very conservative coach and will not try to make his BIG players take over the game.

The bottom line, there are a LOT of WR's I would rather have this year than AJ. I would try and trade him and hope that you can sell him on name alone -- because stats from this year and last will not net you anything close to what you had to pay for him.
clmor
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 423
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:48 pm

schnuelle07 wrote:I got a verbal offer that involved both these guys

R. Williams
A. Johnson
L. Suggs

T. Holt
D. Jackson


This looked really good for me, but I thought he knew something I didn't. So...you guys are saying that as far as performance goes that Holt and Jackson would be better than Williams and Johnson. I think Holt and Jackson should perform pretty well. Another thing to ponder, I am in a dynasty league...any chance that Johnson moves out of houston in the immediate future?


I have AJ and Williams in my main $$ league and as much as I hate the SeaParakeets and as much as D-Jax is a butterfingered fool I would be so all over this trade if I had that offer it isn't even funny... I drafted Johnson in the 3rd as a panic reaction after my first two options (Holt and Javon) went in the two picks right before mine - unfortunately I dropped the ball (a la D-jax) because a guy I had rated higher (Michael Clayton) was still available when I jumped the gun and took AJ...

I am hoping for a big game out of AJ in a couple of weeks so I can trade him away to someone who is stuck on the name...
Image
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3441
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Montreal

Postby Kilroy » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:46 pm

Learned my AJ lesson Last Year...3rd Round Pick, 2 Big Games, lots of Crap Sprinkled In Between.

Sometimes you just don't know (with WR's especially). I started last year with AJ and CJ and thought "Oh Yeah, I'm SET at WR!" By the Championship Game CJ was traded, AJ was on the bench, and I played a tandem of Porter and Evans...and won.

AJ's a Beast on a Crappy Team with a Shell-Shocked QB and an O-line that I would compare to Tissue Paper (except that the Tissue Paper would buy Carr marginally more time).

Roy is a Beast on a Less Crappy Team with Billy Joel at QB and an O-line, that while better than tissue paper, is worse than paper towels.

Both Guys are capable of big weeks, but are just as capable of putting up "1s".

If they were my #1 and #2 WR's, I'd be worried. (I did, however, just pick up Roy off the WW to be my #4 in one league after the guy who owned him dropped him for Randel El. ;-7)
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Postby schnuelle07 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:57 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:If they were my #1 and #2 WR's, I'd be worried. (I did, however, just pick up Roy off the WW to be my #4 in one league after the guy who owned him dropped him for Randel El. ;-7)


Let's remember, they arent my #1 and #2. I have Steve Smith as well and he was actually the first WR I drafted, I was late with WR's in my league.
Image
Thanks to da1chipo for the sig
schnuelle07
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 114
Joined: 4 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:48 am

schnuelle07 wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:If they were my #1 and #2 WR's, I'd be worried. (I did, however, just pick up Roy off the WW to be my #4 in one league after the guy who owned him dropped him for Randel El. ;-7)


Let's remember, they arent my #1 and #2. I have Steve Smith as well and he was actually the first WR I drafted, I was late with WR's in my league.


Yeah, Steve Smith was a very good buy during pretty much every draft this year. He just had one of the better games he's going to have, but he was a top 12 WR before injury and doesnt seem to have lost a step. Considering if you made your trade you'd have Smith, Holt, and D-Jax, and I assume all three would start, I'd make that trade off you got in a heartbeat. Smith and Holt should keep your WR corps consistent in production, which will help cover for Jackson's inconsistencies.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 23:46 hours
(and 36 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact