Clinton Portis #1 Pick Overall - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Clinton Portis #1 Pick Overall

Moderator: Football Moderators

Clinton Portis #1 Pick Overall

Postby dagobahmonk » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:06 pm

What are your thoughts on this?

Have you seen it happen yet in any of your leagues?
dagobahmonk
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CTC » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:11 pm

1. LT
2. Williams
3. Portis

This is usually how it goes. Some have taken Portis or Williams first, and once in awhile you'll find Faulk up there, too. The consensus, however, is what I have listed above...
CTC
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby IchiBalls » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:30 pm

CTC wrote:1. LT
2. Williams
3. Portis

This is usually how it goes. Some have taken Portis or Williams first, and once in awhile you'll find Faulk up there, too. The consensus, however, is what I have listed above...

Most drafts aren't picking Portis 1st, but it's pretty much agreed that between those 3 nobody can tell who will be the best. Most people just go by last year's numbers and decice if they are willing to take a risk on Priest Holmes or Ricky Williams with their injury history
IchiBalls
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:19 pm

My draft was:

Priest
Ricky
Portis

However, the guy who got got Priest was nursing a hangover so autopick covered him for the first round. I got Portis with the 3, but if I had the 1 I would've taken him. And if he were gone I woulda taken LT.

Friendliness: %

Postby josebach » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:29 pm

Priest led the league in FFL points and missed two games. Assuming he's 100%, which everybody says that he is, there's no reason he won't duplicate those numbers again. I got him as the number 4 pick but would have gotten him even at #1.

Holmes
Portis
Tomlinson
Williams

in that order.

Keep in mind, I believe in looking at player's upside potential when choosing. Holmes and Portis' upside is higher than Williams and LT.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Ousmagic » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:21 pm

josebach wrote:
Keep in mind, I believe in looking at player's upside potential when choosing. Holmes and Portis' upside is higher than Williams and LT.

i admit portis has a lot of upside but priest is 31 and i wudnt say he has upside cause he cant pass his numbers from last year, also id say LT has the best upside of all of them, this is only his 3rd year and he is more proven then portis cause hes done it for 2 years as opposed to one
Ousmagic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Maize Rage » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:40 pm

Portis went first in our draft.

BUT--the person in our draft who picks first finished last the previous year. And of coures, there is a reason why they get the first pick so I wouldn't put much stock in him going first.
Maize Rage
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Orange and Blue » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:34 am

From what I've seen, about 50% of people are sold on LT, 25% on Williams, 12.5% on Portis, and then the other 12.5% are split between Holmes, Faulk, or their QB of choice. It depends on who gets the first pick what order Portis winds up going.

I'd use my first pick on him no matter where it was in the draft order.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:49 am

If you like Portis better than the others, maybe just a rooting interest, than by all means take him. We can all say who the best is, but I doubt you would find anyone who wouldn’t say that Portis has a chance to be the top RB in the league this year. It is rare that a back has back-to-back great seasons so you can’t tell who will. Arguments can be made for each of the top 6 backs being best; the breaks have to go the right way. After all, if Faulk is healthy and the Rams return to dominance, then he will most likely be the best ff back this year. That’s why we play the games, er, I mean why they play the games. ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby TonyZ28 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:53 am

Portis went to slot 7 in our league

Holmes, Priest (RB-KC)
Alexander, Shaun (RB-Sea)
Williams, Ricky (RB-Mia)
Henry, Travis (RB-Buf)
Tomlinson, LaDainian (RB-SD)
Vick, Michael (QB-Atl)
Portis, Clinton (RB-Den)
TonyZ28