Clinton Portis #1 Pick Overall - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Clinton Portis #1 Pick Overall

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Orange and Blue » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:07 am

I would absolutely LOVE to have the #5, 6, or 7 slot in your league. Tomlinson, and Portis going behind Alexander and Henry? Madness.

Drafting Vick before McNabb is madness, too, for that matter. Talk all you want about how Vick is the better rushing QB, it won't change the fact that McNabb beat him hands down in rushing TDs per game, as well as in passing TDs per game. Moot point anyway, since he's injured, but I've never seen a player so overrated as Vick in the first round. He's a #4 QB at BEST, behind McNabb, Manning, and Culpepper.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TonyZ28 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:25 am

it was an autodraft league
TonyZ28
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Orange and Blue » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:27 am

Still, for it to autodraft like that, somebody had to have rated Henry higher than LT and Portis, and somebody had to have rated Alexander higher than Williams, Portis, or LT, and somebody had to have had Vick as their #1 QB. Seems like ripe pickings to me. :-)
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby josebach » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:20 am

Ousmagic wrote:
josebach wrote:
Keep in mind, I believe in looking at player's upside potential when choosing. Holmes and Portis' upside is higher than Williams and LT.

i admit portis has a lot of upside but priest is 31 and i wudnt say he has upside cause he cant pass his numbers from last year, also id say LT has the best upside of all of them, this is only his 3rd year and he is more proven then portis cause hes done it for 2 years as opposed to one

First of all, Priest is 29, not 31. He led the league in yards from scrimmage two years in a row. Not only that, why shouldn't he be able to pass his numbers from last year? Especially if he plays 16 games and not 14. He had a bone bruise, no broken leg, no torn ligaments , no blown knee... a bone bruise. I feel lucky that he managed to make it to the fourth pick so I could draft him.

I have a feeling that everybody who picked Williams, LT, Faulk and Portis ahead of him are going to be kicking themselves in the ass by the end of the season... or at least I hope they will be. :-)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guv » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:10 am

Portis was sitting there when I drafted in the 5th position, but he was still behind Priest, Williams & LT.....either way I was happy :-)
Guv
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:47 am

Holmes went first in my draft, but I would have taken Portis 1st.
I got him at the 6th spot, I rocked this draft!

QB Hasselbeck, Matt (QB-Sea)
WR Burress, Plaxico (WR-Pit)
WR Robinson, Koren (WR-Sea)
WR Toomer, Amani (WR-NYG)
RB Portis, Clinton (RB-Den)
RB Tomlinson, LaDainian (RB-SD)
TE McMichael, Randy (TE-Mia)
K Akers, David (K-Phi)
D Lewis, Ray (DL-Bal)
DL Strahan, Michael (DL-NYG)
DL Peppers, Julius (DL-Car)
DB Williams, Roy (DB-Dal)
DB Archuleta, Adam (DB-StL)
A.K.A. The Dark Canuck

"It is better to die on your feet than it is to live on your knees." Emiliano Zapata
Tom Joad
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby maddog60 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:21 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Holmes went first in my draft, but I would have taken Portis 1st.
I got him at the 6th spot, I rocked this draft!

QB Hasselbeck, Matt (QB-Sea)
WR Burress, Plaxico (WR-Pit)
WR Robinson, Koren (WR-Sea)
WR Toomer, Amani (WR-NYG)
RB Portis, Clinton (RB-Den)
RB Tomlinson, LaDainian (RB-SD)
TE McMichael, Randy (TE-Mia)
K Akers, David (K-Phi)
D Lewis, Ray (DL-Bal)
DL Strahan, Michael (DL-NYG)
DL Peppers, Julius (DL-Car)
DB Williams, Roy (DB-Dal)
DB Archuleta, Adam (DB-StL)

How small was your League? There is no excuse for LT or Portis to be hanging around past the 1st round of drafting. In fact, one should be lucky to find either at #6 in the first round.

Sidenote: I agree with the people saying that Holmes isn't getting the appreciation he deserves. But injuries are injuries, and LT, Portis, and Williams are just plain safer choices. However, I'd probably only draft LT over Priest Holmes, as he just produces so much more than any other back.
maddog60

Friendliness: %

Postby AF » Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:23 pm

Every year autodrafts blow my mind. I never did understand why people do those leagues then leave (or seam to) the pre-set draft orders. I have had some friends that do those leagues because they think that the people in them are more into trading but I have never seen the fun in them. I feel more pride in my team after I have spent the time to do some research into players and taken the time to do the draft and try to control the flow of the draft. Draft time is the best part of the year in my opinion.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:49 pm

Not everyone has time to sit thru a live draft. I don't own a computer, I use my computer at work for all of my online needs. Even if I could persuade a group of fantasy owners to wait until I get off work to start a live draft (6pm, 9pm on the east coast) I wouldn't want to hang around work for another couple hours anyways. This in no way makes it less enjoyable, but I do wish I could actually draft my own team. Anyways, just a little insight into the mind of an "auto drafter".

Friendliness: %

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:21 pm

Every yahoo draft I did online was less then 45 minutes. The live draft I did with all the owners present in the same room took 2 hours, 10 teams 15 rounds. The last one is extremely compeitive and for money, by far the best league I'm in.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk