Who shot their wad last week? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who shot their wad last week?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:01 pm

maddog60 wrote:
onnestabe wrote:I am gonna go out on a limb here and say Larry Johnson, but this is assuming that Priest stays healthy all year. I just don't see anyone being able to sustain production like that on a diet of 10 carries a game. Vermeil doesn't want to split carries with them, so I don't see his touches going up significantly. LJ is still a handcuff to Priest, not an every-week start.

Don't know about that. Blaylock had some pretty good games in relief for a healthy Priest, and if the Chiefs run away with a game don't be surprised if they sit Priest the majority of the second half of such games. 1/2 of play for a KC RB could very well generate better stats as good as LJ's were.

Baker is a really good candidate too.

That game is never a run-away victory for either team... It's almost always a shoot-out.... I wouldn't bet on anyone being benched because one team is so far ahead of the other....

The Chiefs could be the best team in the league, and the Raiders could be the worst team in the league, and that game would still be a good one (see November 23, 2003).....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:50 pm

Azrael wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
Azrael wrote:
That 70 yard run was PURELY a result of the circumstance that the Vikings were pressing the LOS to stuff the Bucs on a 3rd and 1 to get the ball back. Williams happened to slip by the only line of defenders to race to the endzone.

Would Cedric Benson score on that run? I think he would have gotten caught from behind.

What the heck does Benson have to do with it? Nothing. Not even the point of the post. The topic was "who shot their wad last week" meaning, not a chance they'll do it again.

I'm trying to point out that Cadillac is a dynamic force at RB and is not a one week flash in the pan. He was a top-5 pick in the draft for a reason and his 25+ carries in week 1, with virtually no playing time in the preseason, should be reason enough to believe in the guy. The "one long run" argument is a good excuse to dismiss his performance, but I believe that the long run he made is going to be one of the trademarks of Caddy's success..

He can have a poor performance week 2 against Buffalo and you can respond "I told you so", but how many RBs actually succeed against Buffalo? They are a very tough defense.

But then what happens when he comes back in week 3 or week 4 and breaks another long one... Every RB is up and down, and yet you're saying Caddy is done after an up week 1? Corey Dillon and Deuce McAllister had crappy ypc games as well, but they scored big in fantasy and their respective teams won the game. What happens if you take out all of their carries inside the 5 yard line? They would have had terrible days. You can't just "take out" plays and pretend they don't exist.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Azrael » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:58 pm

My point is he wouldn't have broken that long run if Minnesota had been playing a normal defense. I'm not "taking the play away", like some people want to take Moss's bombs away and then calculate his stats. I'm saying it wasn't a normal breakaway run like you are accustomed to seeing LT break off (not comparing him to LT). He sneaked through a goalline defense on his very last run of the game and was 10 yards behind everyone before then knew what happened. I liken it to a QB throwing for 200 yards and a score or 2 in garbage time when his team is down 4 TDs.

Calling that his "trademark" is quite hasty considering it was a product of the circumstances.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:12 pm

Frisman Jackson = Shooting Your Wad
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:20 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Frisman Jackson = Shooting Your Wad

Yeah, Jackson is spent... He's already smoked a Marlboro and fallen asleep.....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:26 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Frisman Jackson = Shooting Your Wad

In a month, even his own Momma won't know who he is.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:50 pm

Azrael wrote:My point is he wouldn't have broken that long run if Minnesota had been playing a normal defense. I'm not "taking the play away", like some people want to take Moss's bombs away and then calculate his stats. I'm saying it wasn't a normal breakaway run like you are accustomed to seeing LT break off (not comparing him to LT). He sneaked through a goalline defense on his very last run of the game and was 10 yards behind everyone before then knew what happened. I liken it to a QB throwing for 200 yards and a score or 2 in garbage time when his team is down 4 TDs.

Calling that his "trademark" is quite hasty considering it was a product of the circumstances.

The guy runs for a 70+ yarder at the end of a long day, in a game where he carried the ball 25+ times, and he was getting punished on every play. He took that kind of beating and still had the burst to break a big play... in week 1... without seeing work in the preseason to enhance his conditioning. He should have been bone tired at the end of a game like that. Says a lot about the guy that he was able to break that play. You can say whatever you want to dismiss it, but that fact is that it still happened.

"Take away the long run" is such a tired argument... Take away that last run and Cadillac wouldn't be the leading rusher in the NFC or currently have the most carries in the entire NFL.

Hell, if Curtis Martin had some long runs last year he would have ran for 2,000 yards.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Always a winner » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:44 pm

Gus Frerotte - I know some Cafers think Frerotte is gonna be a solid play this year, but I think they're reading too much into that one game against Denver.

Larry Johnson - 12.2 ypc? Come on, that's ridiculous. He had 9 carries and will probably continue that but average 5-6 ypc.

Marty Booker - See Frerotte above.

Patrick Crayton - 90 yds and TD. Probably just luck. It'll take him 8 weeks to accumulate those stats again. It was an above average day for Dallas and Witten was well-covered. However, I think Keyshawn will be solid, not 2 TD/game obviously, but still a solid #2/3 on your fantasy team.
Always a winner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk