Staley says that Parker is the Starter - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Staley says that Parker is the Starter

Moderator: Football Moderators

Staley says that Parker is the Starter

Postby black_hawk8888 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:56 am

Steelers: Staley says Parker is the starter

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Thursday, September 15, 2005

News
Running back Duce Staley took more snaps during Wednesday's practice as he comes back from arthroscopic knee surgery in early August, but even once he's healthy he acknowledges he may not get his job back from Willie Parker. "If he's out there running and doing what he's doing and putting up great numbers and we're winning, without a doubt, leave him in there," Staley told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "We went through the same thing last year. I was out there, I got hurt, Jerome went in and we didn't miss a beat. Here we go again: Willie comes in and we don't miss a beat."

Views
Staley is listed as questionable for this week's game against the Texans, while Jerome Bettis is listed as doubtful with a calf injury. Steelers coach Bill Cowher indicated that Staley may become the team's third-down back when he gets healthy, leaving Parker as the feature back and Bettis, once he's healthy, as the short-yardage guy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=f ... &type=lgns
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby saundman2000 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:01 am

Oh Yeeaahh,

More props for FWP. Hope he keeps it up. :-°
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby manzan » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:02 am

Now that's what I like to hear!
manzan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Flux » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:31 am

wow, thats an oddity. I hope it happens, but we'll see what happens when Staley can actually play
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby benm3218 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:33 am

well, i hope it lasts. I just traded plummer and lelie for harrington and parker.... scary, but could be great upside.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:42 pm

Views
Staley is listed as questionable for this week's game against the Texans, while Jerome Bettis is listed as doubtful with a calf injury. Steelers coach Bill Cowher indicated that Staley may become the team's third-down back when he gets healthy, leaving Parker as the feature back and Bettis, once he's healthy, as the short-yardage guy.

I don't like the sound of this at all! You have a guy stealing third downs, and a guy stealing short yardage AKA TOUCHDOWNS....this sounds bad. The Steelers can't just sit Bettis and Staley and let this guy run. Something has to give.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Heavyg25 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:58 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:Views

I don't like the sound of this at all! You have a guy stealing third downs, and a guy stealing short yardage AKA TOUCHDOWNS....this sounds bad. The Steelers can't just sit Bettis and Staley and let this guy run. Something has to give.

Something is going to give...... probably Bettis's or Staley's knee.
Heavyg25
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:11 am

Lotta love being spread in that locker room. Wonder how often they bust out into 'Kumbaya'?

That said, Heavyg makes a valid point. Unless you can return serious value in a sell-high trade for Willie, he may be the safest bet of that whole crew.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:22 am

There's another longer thread about this in the injuries & player updates forum, but I'll say the same thing here that I said there.

Sixxgunn wrote:I don't like the sound of this at all! You have a guy stealing third downs, and a guy stealing short yardage AKA TOUCHDOWNS....this sounds bad. The Steelers can't just sit Bettis and Staley and let this guy run. Something has to give.

In other offenses that may be an issue, but Pitt runs so much it's still plenty.

A measely 60% of Pitt's carries last year would've been more than 300, and put that RB right up near the tops in the league in attempts.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Keyser_WV » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:42 am

I get the feeling that Bettis wouldn't mind if his role was reduced some.

It's no secret he is there for one more run at a ring.

This scenario was in another Parker post and I agree that this is what may happen.

Parker - Primary RB, 25 touches a game

Staley - Spell Parker when needed and increased goaline work

Bettis - Split goaline work with Staley.

Parker looks like the real deal but it's early. We need to see how he handles a couple bad games in a row.

There is really no risk in giving Parker the job. If he takes a step back Duce is right there ready to go.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk