Andre Johnson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Andre Johnson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby cordscords » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:44 pm

Carrs Passing Yards Last Year- 3531

Johnsons Recieving Yards Last Year- 1142

"Carr doesnt have any other reliable WR to throw to. He's going to be blitzed a ton, Johnson will be double coverage, and with no other good WR Carr and Johnson will be absoultely horribe in 05-06!"

Well Carr threw for 2300+ yards to different recievers outside of Johnson, so shut it. And AJ and Carr got the coverage/pressure last year too.

The O-Line is still young and continues to improve. DD really poured it on last year as a runner and a reciever. The Texans have improved every year and I expect them to do so this year. With a tough schedule it might not show up in the standings, but I think this team continues to take a step in the right direction.

I expect AJ to go for 1250 and 10 TD.
cordscords
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:26 pm

cordscords wrote:Carrs Passing Yards Last Year- 3531

Johnsons Recieving Yards Last Year- 1142

22nd overall WR last year. That makes him a #2 or #3 WR on most teams. Not even close to studly, which means his offense and his performance needs to improve dramaticly for his ADP to be justified as many teams had him as their 3rd round pick and top WR.

"Carr doesnt have any other reliable WR to throw to. He's going to be blitzed a ton, Johnson will be double coverage, and with no other good WR Carr and Johnson will be absoultely horribe in 05-06!"

Well Carr threw for 2300+ yards to different recievers outside of Johnson, so shut it. And AJ and Carr got the coverage/pressure last year too.

Andre Johnson had 79 rec, 1142 yards
Dominick Davis had 68 rec, 588 yards
Corey Bradford had 27 rec, 399 yards
Jabar Gaffney had 41 rec, 632 yards
Billy Miller had 17 rec, 178 yards

Lets puts some of these numbers in perspective:

Gaffney ranks with: David Terrell, Todd Pinkston, Az-zahir Hakim.
Bradford ranks with: Derrius Thompson, Bobby Wade, Clarence Moore
Miller ranks with: Teyo Johnson, Shad Meier, Tim Euhus

To put it simply, the #2, #3 WRs, and the starting TE didn't even come close to putting up respectable numbers. AJ and Carr don't have help. DD is the second most reliable WR, and that is a huge problem for that offense. Any team that doesn't put the focus on AJ on every passing scheme is simply retarded, because Bradford and Gaffney won't beat you.

The O-Line is still young and continues to improve.

I don't know where to begin with what is wrong with that statement.

In 02: 76 sacks
In 03: 36 sacks
In 04: 49 sacks

They looked like they were improving, but they took a major step back. Sure, 49 sacks, is not as bad as 76, but its far from acceptable. Carr got sacked more than any other QB last year. Out of 3 years in the NFL, he's been the most sacked QB in two of them. That isn't improvement, that is a major disaster for the team. Its a problem that will devastate an offense and needs serious attention, but have the Texans even attempted to address the issue:

05: 5th round C
04: No offensive linemen drafted
03: 3rd round T, 7th round C

So in 3 years they've spent a 3rd, 5th, and 7th round pick on addressing the issue. That's not much at all, in fact it shows just how little concern for David Carr's longevity this coaching staff has.

As for that O-line being young, the starters are was follows:

Riley - 30
Pitts - 26
McKinney - 29
Weigert - 33
Wade - 28

With an average age of 29 years how in the world do you justify calling that offensive line "young?"

That fact is, since their creation, the Texans have had the worst pass protection in the entire NFL over these past three years, and that hasn't changed. With 5 sacks in the opener, they're already on track for 80 sacks, so another 49 sack year is not out of the question, and that spells trouble for Carr and that entire offense.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Smee » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:34 pm

I certainly don't have the factual information to back this up...only an opinion here.

But wouldn't AJ's situation actually be beneficial to him? I understand he'd be a killer with a real o-line and QB...but as is he's the only threat on that offense (DD too I suppose). If they thow the ball he's likely to be on the recieving end for no other reason than who else will they throw it too?

I was thinking about benching him vs. Pitt but decided against it. If anyone scores a recieving TD it's going to be AJ.

Probably not worth the 4th round draft pick I used on him, but I think he'll come through...eventually.
Smee
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:47 pm

yeah, but theres so little chance that they throw a TD that its sometimes not worth it. Plus it could go to DD.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SniperShot » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:40 pm

Yup I used a 4th round pick on him too, thats really the only reason he'll be in my lineup. Heck everyone gets lucky at least once or twice and I sure would be mad if AJ decides to get lucky while he warms my bench.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:49 pm

I stand by my assertion that AJ is good for a couple big plays in this game... Could go for 3/45, could be good for 5/120/2.. I think he is worth the risk, because DDavis is going nowhere in this game. DDavis scores almost all of TDs from the goalline anyways, they are going to have to score from a distance.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:08 pm

since everyone seems to think Dom will flop is Anderson any better of a start this week? his status seems up in the air and was just wondering what everyone thought.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LegionOfDoom » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:06 pm

Hes killing my team he had 1 poiint in my league laast week alsmot cost sme the week im benching him this week for lee evans i also have micheal jenkins and Hous on my bench PM me if u think i should switch it up
LegionOfDoom
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:50 pm

Mr. Overrated.

I know he has talent but maybe it's because Carr is throwing to him or whatever,,,,I just don't see him as that top flight fantasy-productive guy----not yet anyway
Members Only Jackets
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jdogg_ffc » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:31 pm

AJs biggest prob. is a lousy O-Line I couldn't believe it when Houston passed on the top O-Line tackle and drafted a D player in the first round this yr.

Houston just needs to get on the ball, a decent O-Line is very important to the success of a team.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk