Andre Johnson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Andre Johnson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kilroy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:17 am

Ah, the AJ Conundrum....Great WR (which he is. Size, speed, hands, he's the complete package) on a crappy team with a so-so QB and no other options in the passing game except dumps to DD (whose fantasy numbers are also gonna tank this year IMO.)

AJ (and DD, for that matter) definitely had disappointing weeks this past Sun. Most likely this week will be more of the same (kinda hard for Carr to complete passes while he's being assaulted.). The first two weeks have been brutal schedule-wise, but lookin' at it I don't see a lot of cupcakes comin' up for 'em either (other than two against TENN, CLE, and maybe STL and ARZ later on), which with the way their O-Line has played in the Preseason and Week 1 is the only way they'll move the ball effectively.

I think a LOT of people who spent high picks on AJ (and DD) are gonna be bummin' this year. Not knockin' the players so much as the team and coaches. (Chris Palmer? Offensive Coordinator? That Kills Me. :-P )

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby aussieboy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:21 am

I think people forget that AJ is in his 3rd yr of Pro Football. His week 1 performance wasn't great and he's unlikely to have a good performance this week, but hes up against Buffalo and Pittsburgh in his first two weeks. That's two of the toughest defenses in the NFL straight up.

Most people expect WR to breakout around their 3rd year, the thing with AJ is that he's been on the radar since his rookie season, he was selected 3rd overall, he quietly put up nearly 1000 yards in his rookie yr, he bettered that mark last yr with nearly 1150 yards and so people are expecting monster things from him this yr. As has already been mentioned, the problem that faces AJ is that he's not in an offense that really helps his production, and his QB has about 0.03 seconds to throw the ball or he's eating grass. Despite this AJ has put up excellent numbers in his first two seasons.

I expected AJ to have a 3rd yr comparable to what Chad Johnson put up in his 3rd yr. Something like 1300 yards + 7-10TDs. AJ and CJ had remarkably similar 2nd yrs. Chad Johnson was fortunate to have John Kitna in his 3rd yr when he broke out, AJ isnt so lucky. Despite this I think AJ will end up having a very productive season.

After his bye week(week 3), AJ faces Cincinati, Tennesee, Seattle, Indiana and Cleveland. If AJ continues his mediocre production against those teams, then i'll stop talking him up.

D.Davis and A.Johnson have a bye week in week 3. If they both do nothing this week, do your best to trade for them.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby loosechange75 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:19 am

moochman wrote:While it certainly looks scarey in Houston, don't forget that you are looking at one game. AJ is a stud and Carr will find a way to get him the ball. If you have a good match-up with a solid WR, sitting AJ this week might be wise. The Stiller D is tough tough tough, and with Big Ben being hurt they could try to play keep away with Willie Beamon Parker.

i agree we are all puting way to much thought in just one game
loosechange75
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Tread42 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:28 am

Now, I'm starting to get worried. I have to look hard at Roy Williams/L.Coles instead of AJ.

Any thoughts out there on this guy? He's completely disappeared.
Regards,

Tread42
Tread42
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk