McCardell, he is 35 will this last? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McCardell, he is 35 will this last?

Moderator: Football Moderators

McCardell, he is 35 will this last?

Postby AOD » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:44 pm

Who will have a better year C. Chambers or McCardell?
AOD
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby benm3218 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:45 pm

chambers. card only did well due to gates being out.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:00 pm

benm3218 wrote:chambers. card only did well due to gates being out.

I don't know about that. It's true that Gates being out helped him, but McCardell still showed that he is clearly a more preferred option for Brees than Caldwell and Parker. And with Gates being there, McCardell should face less difficult coverage in the future. Even with Gates back, I think McCardell has shown his value is probably about equivalent to that of a #2 WR on a decent offence, I am thinking something in the range of like Eddie Kennison or Isaac Bruce.
Last edited by bdrotoronto on Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby saundman2000 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:00 pm

Jimmy smith is 36, so you can't argue that McCardell is going to drop off purely due to age.

But you can argue that A.Gates is going to steal a lot of looks. McCardell has talent enough to put up numbers like that, but they probably just aren't going to use him going forward like they did in week 1.

Having said that, I still would keep McCardell over Chambers. San Diego is a team that will probably score many more touchdowns than MIA. Better to get a share of success than failure.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby benm3218 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:12 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:

I don't know about that. It's true that Gates being out helped him, but McCardell still showed that he is clearly a more preferred option for Brees than Caldwell and Parker. And with Gates being there, McCardell should face less difficult coverage in the future. Even with Gates back, I think McCardell has shown his value is probably about equivalent to that of a #2 WR on a decent offence, I am thinking something in the range of like Eddie Kennison or Isaac Bruce.

look at mccards stats last yr. he is not going to light it up on a regular basis. trust me. gates being out offered him 15 more looks than he would have gotten.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:16 pm

benm3218 wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:

look at mccards stats last yr. he is not going to light it up on a regular basis. trust me. gates being out offered him 15 more looks than he would have gotten.

Yes, but last year he held out and missed all of training camp and didn't even join the Chargers 'til about week 5 or so. Even then he had a couple of decent games considering that situation.

He also had a very good year in '03 for TB, despite suggestions he was washed up at that time. I think he looks very motivated so far, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a pretty servicable year.
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby benm3218 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:19 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:
benm3218 wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:

Yes, but last year he held out and missed all of training camp and didn't even join the Chargers 'til about week 5 or so. Even then he had a couple of decent games considering that situation.

He also had a very good year in '03 for TB, despite suggestions he was washed up at that time. I think he looks very motivated so far, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a pretty servicable year.

Ok. servicable yr for a #3 reciever maybe. But, thats alot different than suggesting he'll outperform chambers. Gates will severly impact his numbers this week. I guarantee it.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Santacruzer » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:21 pm

benm3218 wrote:look at mccards stats last yr. he is not going to light it up on a regular basis. trust me. gates being out offered him 15 more looks than he would have gotten.

I wouldn't count McCardell out so quickly. Last years stats are not a true measure for him. He came in part-way through the season, had to learn a new offense, as well as nursing a (groin?) injury.

That being said, I think that Chambers is a terrific young WR with great talent, that has not been showcased very well because of poor play under center in Miami. If Ferotte can survive with that o-line, and continue to throw the ball downfield, Chambers will be the better bet.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:26 pm

Chambers over McCardell and it isnt that close.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:34 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Chambers over McCardell and it isnt that close.

Fair enough, I'd probably rather have Chambers on my team on my team as well, even though I don't trust that offence at all. I think the debate in this thread really stems from the fact the original post and the subject line asked two very different questions. Bottom line is I think McCardell can be a very servicable player this year, like as a #3 WR (which is what he has become on my team), and will probably be good enough to start a lot of weeks for a lot of fantasy teams.
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk