Return to Football Talk

Matt Jones Breakout Game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Matt Jones Breakout Game

Postby Lushcrush » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:22 pm

Will he go off this weekend?
Matt Jones Breakout Game - The Prologue
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:27 pm

I predict a TD this week. Strangely enough, it could be rushing, receiving, OR passing!
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:This is a talented team that under any other circumstances would be an absolute lock for their 4th championship, but I can't shake the feeling that the push for 16-0 will in the end be the undoing of this team in the playoffs.
KoopaTroopa211
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:30 pm

Wouldn't that be something. Early on he goes deep, catches a long bomb for a TD. Later on, trick play, double reverse with Matt Jones barrelling through the defense for a TD. Then late 4th quarter, motioning Jones across the line, bad snap, Jones picks up the ball, scrambles, and throws a TD pass.

Now, back to reality... Indy's defense isn't quite as good as Kyle Boller made it seem, and I can see Leftwich finding Matt Jones for at least one big hook up, maybe a TD. I don't think this will be his breakout game, but he could be worth starting if you're hurting at WR.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:34 pm

Yeah i dont see Jones doing much for a while. I knows hes a physical specimen but he lacks experience. I dont think he will get enough playing time to have a fantasy impact.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Ricky_Christ » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:50 pm

Leftwich, Taylor, & Jimmy should all get theirs in this matchup. Matt Jones might get some runoff from that (maybe a TD), but I don't predict this being his breakout game.
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Lushcrush » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:13 am

Matt Jones Breakout Week - The Quarterback

In 2004, Leftwich threw for 300-plus yards in both games against Indy, completing over 70 percent of his passes with three touchdowns and only one interception. Actually, Leftwich is one of two QBs who face a team this week who they've had consecutive 300-yard games against (Trent Green against the Raiders is the other). And for Leftwich, his feat was done in last year's offense, not the throw-first style the Jags are employing in 2005.
From Gil Brandt:
Jaguars at Colts: The only game the Colts lost at home last year was to Jacksonville. ... For Jacksonville, I like QB Byron Leftwich, who played well last year against Indy (618 yards, three TDs in two games last year). ... WR Jimmy Smith and RB Fred Taylor look good too.
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:26 am

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Yeah i dont see Jones doing much for a while. I knows hes a physical specimen but he lacks experience. I dont think he will get enough playing time to have a fantasy impact.

I don't know. The thing is that though he may only catch 4 passes, he will probably run the ball 2-3 times too. And these are the types of end rushes that when they hit, they hit big. He could be worth starting as your third WR, depending on depth.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:31 am

Great call Lush - I think if Matt Jones is going to break out this yr - its gonna be in a shootout like against INDY this weekend.

If Im looking at JAX players who are most likely to make a fantasy impact, Id list JSmith and Lefty first then Matt Jones and FTaylor immediately after. It wouldnt suprise me in the least to see JAX abandon the run by the 3rd qtr - and thats spells fantasy gold for the WRs.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby awwchrist » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:37 am

Seattle hasn't had front four pressure in half a decade. But we got into Leftwich pretty damn well last week.

I don't think it's a lock that the Jags will be able to bust out the big passing game just because of what they did last year versus Indy.

I know some of you were touting the Colts improved pass rush/defense not more than a couple days ago after the Ravens game.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pappymojo » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:49 am

maddog60 wrote:Wouldn't that be something. Early on he goes deep, catches a long bomb for a TD. Later on, trick play, double reverse with Matt Jones barrelling through the defense for a TD. Then late 4th quarter, motioning Jones across the line, bad snap, Jones picks up the ball, scrambles, and throws a TD pass.

Didn't David Patten throw a touchdown, catch a touchdown, and rush for a touchdown in the same game a couple of years ago?
'nuff said
pappymojo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk