Will Chris Baker be a viable TE? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will Chris Baker be a viable TE?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Will Chris Baker be a viable TE?

Postby Azrael » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:04 pm

He hasn't caught more than 18 balls in his career. But his 7 catch, 124yard performance was pretty impressive. Only about 35 yards and his TD were in garbage time and the heimerdinger's offense has a focus on TEs. Was it a flash in the pan performance or can we expect decent numbers from Baker each week?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:07 pm

I really think he could put up solid numbers. I mean, don't expect 130 yard and a TD every game, but I think he at least has a shot to be a legit top 10 TE. Sure, some of it was in garbage time, but that may not be anything unusual with the way the rest of the Jets offense was looking.

Coles was getting double-teamed and dropped a couple of passes, and Pennington was looking his way all day, especially in the second half.

I'm liking Baker, at least as a bye week fill-in or solid WW option. At this point, I like him better than guys like Stevens, Pollard, and Alex Smith.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:12 pm

VHawk15 wrote:I really think he could put up solid numbers. I mean, don't expect 130 yard and a TD every game, but I think he at least has a shot to be a legit top 10 TE. Sure, some of it was in garbage time, but that may not be anything unusual with the way the rest of the Jets offense was looking.

Coles was getting double-teamed and dropped a couple of passes, and Pennington was looking his way all day, especially in the second half.

I'm liking Baker, at least as a bye week fill-in or solid WW option. At this point, I like him better than guys like Stevens, Pollard, and Alex Smith.

Oh really? Do I smell a trade in the KKL brewing?

;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:12 pm

Yeah ive been thinking the same thing. Picked him up in one of my leagues. He seemed to have a real fire in him. He got in a fight with a guy and pretty much pummeld him. :-D He has also made statements to the effect that he feels he can be a real asset to the team and that he wants to show what he can do. As of right now im on the Chris BAker bandwagon. Hop on!! :-D
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:59 pm

I was VERY high on Baker going into this year until they traded for Jolley (here's the proof: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... 929#835929 - OK, so I wrote his first name wrong...thanks for pointing that out terp... :-P).

The Jets love the dink and dunk, and guys like Sowell and Baker are perfect for that offense. Those rollout screens to the FB and TE routinely get them 15-20 yards.

Now that Baker is once again the top option, I would definitely look at him. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Always a winner » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:22 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:As of right now im on the Chris BAker bandwagon. Hop on!! :-D

I'm on the bandwagon. I haven't been following Baker much, but 7 catches from a TE in a decent offense drew my attention. I dropped Stevens for Baker (don't really believe the Stevens hype) after that game. I think he'll be reliable every week. Glad to see some Cafe vets think he's a solid play also.
Always a winner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby maddog60 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:43 pm

Baker will make a nice option for those that waited forever to draft a TE, but I think his scoring will be erratic.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Red Stripe » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:48 pm

Im liking him a lot, Pennington doesn't have too many options and Coles is most likely going to be covered pretty hard most games. I could see him as a top 10 TE this season.
Red Stripe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Constructing a titanium shoulder for Chad Pennington

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:57 pm

Last year I liked him a lot more than Anthony Becht, and was thrilled when the jets got rid of becht. Baker has a ton of potential, as a pass catching TE that is, and although he won't catch a TD every game, I think he could POTENTIALLY be the Antonio Gates of 2005.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:36 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:...and was thrilled when the jets got rid of becht...

Amen brother.

VHawk15 wrote:At this point, I like him better than guys like Stevens, Pollard, and Alex Smith.

I think I might rather have Pollard than Baker. To me, the fact that Pollard caught a TD in his first game in the blue and silver bodes well. Of course I have only one game on which to base this belief, but we have one big performance for Baker only too.

Both guys are nice sleeper TE options, though I hesitate to call Pollard a sleeper since he was considered a Top 3 or Top 5 TE a few years back, whether or not that acutally panned out.

In conclusion, tight ends remain an enigma to me. Maybe next year I'll draft Tony Gonzalez or Jeremy Shockey in the first round. (Just joking. I think I'll draft a kicker first.)
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Football Talk