Drew Brees - no respect. Don't get it. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drew Brees - no respect. Don't get it.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drew Brees - no respect. Don't get it.

Postby kcs261 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:55 pm

I'm looking at weekly rankings at different sites and Brees is in the mid-teens on most websites. I don't get how people justify that after last year. He's an accurate, composed passer with a ton of weapons: LT2, Gates, McCardell, Caldwell, etc. I can't comprehend why people don't think he'll repeat least years #s. The belief, I know, is that Marty is normally a run first guy. So what? That just sets up the long pass and LT2 is one of the best catching balls out of the backfield and Gates can always break one.

Personally, I think it's crazy that he's not listed as a top-10 QB. Just my opinion.
kcs261
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:36 pm

I am also high on Brees, but I think the reason some sites are down on him is they think other teams recognize him as a weapon now, and are focusing on him more. i have two things to say to this.

1) Any team that concentrates on Brees when LT2 is on the field is clearly mentally challenged.

2) Wouldnt teams realize he was a threat affter 3 or 4 good games last year? Since when did it take a whole season for opposing teams to realize a pllayer was good?

Personally I think Brees is a top 10 QB and will put up very good numbers this year.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:36 pm

Well prior to last season, Drew Brees was awful. The season before (2003), he threw for 11 TDs and 15 picks. He just never looked like a good QB, and probably wouldn't have been starting last season had Philip Rivers gotten in camp ontime.

I, like many people, think that last year was a fluke. We often see those kind of seasons from players during a contract year, and then they fizzle after that (kinda like Adrian Beltre, to use a baseball analogy). Before I consider Brees to be an elite QB, I want to see him put up another great season.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby kcs261 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:45 pm

WOW. I just think, like many QBs, it took him a few years to figure it out. Look at Eli Manning last year. The guy was bad. Most QBs take a little while to develop. It's normal.

I don't see why Brees is any different and a fluke. He was a really good college QB. He's showing the same thing now and is still young.

I believe he's a top-10 guy. He kid of reminds me of D. Willis in fantasy baseball -- in terms of the lack of respect he gets.
kcs261
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Red Stripe » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:15 pm

Maybe the reason Brees gets no respect is because he has showed he can be a stud only one year. He blowed horribly the years before.
Red Stripe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Constructing a titanium shoulder for Chad Pennington

Postby maddog60 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:25 pm

Brees is right now I'd say an average fantasy QB. You can't expect any terribly big games from him, but you can expect an acceptable amount of points. 1-2 TDs, and 200-250 yards really seems to be his range, with a low turnover ratio. However, he does have to prove last year wasn't a fluke before I'll crown him a top 10 QB.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kcs261 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:25 pm

Same response as the above: it often takes a guy a few years to figure it out. This is normal.

Second, looking at the latest rotoworld rankings, there are guys above Brees that haven't even had the ONE great year Brees had last year.

Case in point, Carson Palmer, Kerry Collins, Byron Leftwich, Jake Plummer (always touted, never really had that one great year), and Vick (a great QB in real life, but never really a great fantasy QB b/c he doesn't pass that much).

So, explain how all of those guys rank above Brees -- when they have never had a year like Brees last year? I know the answer, these guys are somehow sexy picks who tease with their talent.

But I still think it's a mistake that Brees is so low on the rankings.
http://fantasyfootball.rotoworld.com/co ... &column=14
kcs261
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Manja » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:21 am

Kerry Collins shouldn't be on that list..

Remember, he had that big year in 2000, and several decent years afterwords. Now he has Moss.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

McGahee

Postby hwkyetkd11 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:36 am

What i find funny is how people say he only had one big year, what about guys like Mcgahee or the jones? They havent even ha da full good year, and Brees was a stud in college. Just because he went through of growing pains doesnt mean anything, and SD wasn't much a a team prior to last year with no up front blocking or threats beyond LT2
hwkyetkd11
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:47 am

I really don't get the knock on Brees either. I think most of it is the fear that he won't repeat his numbers from last year. Some think he's a fluke, I don't have that same fear. With a RB like LT to spell him, a superstar TE in Gates and a solid core of WR's, there's little reason to doubt him.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk