Let's talk San Francisco 49ers... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Let's talk San Francisco 49ers...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Let's talk San Francisco 49ers...

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:05 pm

It's so refreshing how horrible these guys are right now. Having had to endure Joe Montana's and Steve Young's "do no wrong" 49ers during my formative years as a football fan and as a human being, it was so very enjoyable to see them flounder last year.

They hung on to win against the Rams, however. Still, I'm not ready to pencil them for the playoffs. They very nearly blew it, started rolling over playing dead in the 4th quarter and narrowly missed a total (but typical, for the past few seasons) disaster.

Anyway, people have been speaking fondly of Arnaz Battle and even Tim Rattay as sleepers. Do people really like Battle more than Brandon Lloyd?

And do people really think Rattay will keep the starting job? I tend to think he'll lose it right after his first horrible game, which should be any minute now.

And what are peoples' thoughts on Barlow? I'm in a league where someone drafted Al Gore, or whatever his name is. And the guy who drafted him in a Cafe regular. Does Gore have any value?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:46 pm

Brandon Lloyd is about the only 49er, maybe Nedney too, that I'd touch in fantasy football. True, they squeaked out a victory on an overrated St. Louis team, and is only a potential playoff team due to the weakness of that division, but that does not a good team make. They don't have a very favorable schedule, are still near the bottom of the barrel in terms of talent, and week to week there is no clue what to expect in the passing or running game.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:58 pm

I play in one league (10-teams) where we play a full roster of 15 players (2QBs, 2K, 2Def, and 9 WR/TE/RB) each week and then score the best combination (after the games) of:

Either 1QB, 2RB, 3WR/TE, 1 K, 1 D
or 1QB, 1 RB, 4WR/TE, 1K, 1 D

and I drafted Kevan "I'm-not-a-bust" Barlow in the 12th round as a potential flyer. This week he is being cut to take Stephen Davis because if he couldn't put up numbers (and he didn't) with the 49ers in a lead against a weak D like St Louis then he never will. Davis might not last the full season but at least while he is in there I have a potential 12-20 pointer (even sharing time with Foster) instead of the 6 or 7 points I can expect out of Barlow...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Re: Let's talk San Francisco 49ers...

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:41 am

Wesley Walker wrote:
Anyway, people have been speaking fondly of Arnaz Battle and even Tim Rattay as sleepers. Do people really like Battle more than Brandon Lloyd?

I think Lloyd was drafted in most leagues and Battle wasn't. So the only option of waivers for most people is Battle. My personal preference is Battle in traditional scoring leagues 1/10 yardage, and Lloyd in TD heavy leagues. Lloyd gets shot down the field more often than Battle because he is a natural born playmaker. But Battle fits the #1 goto WR role more than Lloyd and will probably end up with a higher reception total and yardage than Lloyd due to his ability to break press coverage and use his body to get YAC.

Battle flew under the radar because of his 8 career catches before the season, but now everyone is figuring out what Niner's fans already knew: Battle is a player.

Wesley Walker wrote:And do people really think Rattay will keep the starting job? I tend to think he'll lose it right after his first horrible game, which should be any minute now.

Rattay is a solid QB when the O-line gives him some time and he's not injured. Right now the Niner's are healthier than they were at any point last year. Once you see numerous O-line on the IR and Rattay has a sprained ankle and bruised ribs, then it is time to pull the plug. If that doesn't happen, Rattay could start until the Niner's are mathematically eliminated from the plasyoffs.

Wesley Walker wrote:And what are peoples' thoughts on Barlow? I'm in a league where someone drafted Al Gore, or whatever his name is. And the guy who drafted him in a Cafe regular. Does Gore have any value?

Barlow is probably one of the worst starting RBs in the NFL, if not THE worst. I don't know what happened to the guy, but he rarely breaks into open space anymore and he was never a great between the tackles runner. Once he got paid the big contract, all his motivation and desire dissappeared.. I think it will take an injury to bring back the fire in Barlow's eyes, and even then he might just be out of a job to Gore and quite possibly the NFL entirely. Seems like the type of guy who will happily retire on his multi-millions.

Expect Gore to get more and more time this season unless Barlow has a breakout performance against a really weak defense.. then the leash gets extended just a little bit. Every loss the Niner's suffer and Barlow performs bad, is that much more reason to get Gore on the field.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby GMoney » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:09 pm

yeah. ive been about as devout a Barlow fan as youll find, and even I am starting to get a little concerned about his future.

I think he will get at least until week 8 to show what he can do. if its nadda then i think that Gore will get a shot for a few weeks.

IMO however Gore has NOTHING more to offer than Barlow. Hes not fast, hes not strong, he has no knees, and even back at full strength last year he couldnt produce 1000 yards in NCAA. That was a clarrett type waste of a 3rd rounder.

Next year I look for the niners to grab a RB in the 1st round. The WR and DB class is terribly terribly weak next year and RB is the only other main area of concern on the team. a guy like Reggie Bush will be too hard to pass up should the opportunity arrise.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Azrael » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:25 am

Battle isn't a bad play in large leagues.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:29 pm

The numbers, roster, ownership and talent don't lie.
Despite last week's Hell-Has-Frozen-Over victory,
the 9ers (in company with the Browns and probably the Titans)
remain this year's NFL bottom feeders.
Just the way it is.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bd0493 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:59 pm

GMoney wrote:yeah. ive been about as devout a Barlow fan as youll find, and even I am starting to get a little concerned about his future.

I think he will get at least until week 8 to show what he can do. if its nadda then i think that Gore will get a shot for a few weeks.

IMO however Gore has NOTHING more to offer than Barlow. Hes not fast, hes not strong, he has no knees, and even back at full strength last year he couldnt produce 1000 yards in NCAA. That was a clarrett type waste of a 3rd rounder.

Next year I look for the niners to grab a RB in the 1st round. The WR and DB class is terribly terribly weak next year and RB is the only other main area of concern on the team. a guy like Reggie Bush will be too hard to pass up should the opportunity arrise.

I disagree, Gmoney. I think Gore is faster, about as strong, much more agile, and most importantly- has much better vision than Barlow.

Barlow had the talent be has clearly shown he doesn't have the work ethic. I'm close to giving up on him.

I think Gore has pretty solid value. My bet he is the full starter by week 5, as you can tell Nolan much prefers him. Since Nolan and Mccarthy want to run more than pass to control to clock and keep our defense off the field, Gore will get a lot of carries if he becomes the starter.

He's definetely one of the lesser running backs in the league, but he's a solid backup who you can matchup once he becomes the starter.

As for Battle, he is definetely better than Lloyd. Sure, Lloyd had one nice catch on Sunday, but he is nowehere near as athletic as Battle. Lloyd specializes in making amazing catches- the man has great hands, however he does not have the agility, speed, strength, or leaping ability to be a playmaker. He is the perfect #2 WR. I doubt he will ever be more than that.

Battle, on the other hand, has the talent to be a major contributor. He is still very raw, but again, I think he's a solid backup who you can matchup at receiver. I plan to pick him up as soon as I can clear some space on my roster.

As for Rattay, I think he's a solid fantasy play. I'd definetely rank him above some ovverrated guys like David Carr. Rattay is, as kensat said very solid when he gets protection. He is kinda like Bledsoe. Good at reading coverage and accurate, but no mobility at all. Rattay will get a lot of pass attempts when we get down big, so I like him in fantasy.

Rattay, is in fact the reason I wish we hadn't drafted Smith. If we had drafted say Ronnie Brown or Braylon Edwards in that spot we would have much more upside this year.

Jeff Garcia proved that you don't have to have the best arm to succeed in the west coast offense.
bd0493
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby skibrett15 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:36 pm

Battle is clearly the no. 1 option. He is playing the position of the no. 1 option in the wco. The same receiver position that rice, and TO played on SF. Rattay is more than competent than many give him credit for. Lloyd is a decent option and is in his 3rd year, as is battle. Barlow is an enigma I think. Watch the offense change when Eric Johnson comes back. Lloyd I think will be less used, while battle will still produce.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Paladyr » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:34 pm

When i was checking rattay out last year I do recall he has pretty good accuracy, he just needs time to throw, like any QB.

Right now I'm staying away from all 49er players, but battle is on my radar. Lloyd just doesn't seem like he's going to break out or anything. He's a decent bye week fill in.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk