a question about kevin curtis - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

a question about kevin curtis

Moderator: Football Moderators

a question about kevin curtis

Postby ngub12 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:05 am

kevin curtis. most of us are aware of this sleeper. he is obviously very talented and can put of some pretty good numbers if he was in a more involved role especially if he was a #2 on stl. obviously that could happen if holt or bruce got hurt. my question is do u think there is any chance that bruce will get pulled from the starting lineup in favor of curtis? this sounds crazy i know, but if u look back to last season, preseason, and even the game against the 9ers, bruce has had some recent problems holding onto the ball. does anyone know if martz has expressed anything about this problem of bruce's? basically i dont doubt bruce's talent but i do think his fumbles are becoming a problem and was wondering what the chances are of him being benched in favor of curtis. what do u guys think?
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jym » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:27 am

I live in STL and a Rams fans. I think it is very unlikely that Bruce or Holt would be pulled without injury. Couple of overservations:

1) Bruce starting last year is starting to fumble the ball this is beginning to be somewhat of a problem. If he continues it might create and opportunity for Curtis. But Martz is terrible at doing what he should do. So you never know with him.

2) IMHO, the Rams WRs are the best at getting down after a catch and avoiding injuries. They almost look like Qbs at times. Now this does not help when getting hit while catching the ball. Plus I have never seen so many huge hits by defense as I saw last Sunday. This was over all over the league. It really was a day of defense more than anything else.

I would be surprised if either Holt or Bruce does not loose a game or so from injuries this year. But you also have to remember there are a lot more WRs on the Rams bench for Martz to go to. It really is WRBC at St. Louis.

-Jym-
Jym
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Re: a question about kevin curtis

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:00 am

ngub12 wrote:kevin curtis. most of us are aware of this sleeper. he is obviously very talented and can put of some pretty good numbers if he was in a more involved role especially if he was a #2 on stl. obviously that could happen if holt or bruce got hurt. my question is do u think there is any chance that bruce will get pulled from the starting lineup in favor of curtis? this sounds crazy i know, but if u look back to last season, preseason, and even the game against the 9ers, bruce has had some recent problems holding onto the ball. does anyone know if martz has expressed anything about this problem of bruce's? basically i dont doubt bruce's talent but i do think his fumbles are becoming a problem and was wondering what the chances are of him being benched in favor of curtis. what do u guys think?

Barring injury, not a chance in hell.

Bruce had a couple poor seasons after Vermeil's Ram's fell apart and he was no longer the goto WR. But he has readjusted nicely as a complimentary WR to Holt and remains an extremely productive player. Last year rebound season didn't open very many peoples' eyes though, he still fell into the 6th, 7th, or later rounds when he should produce like a 4th rounder or earlier. He's over the hill right? Curtis is taking over? Bruce is basically the same age as Marvin Harrison...

And he nearly put up 1,300 yards last season. That's good for FIFTH overall in the NFL. More than Chad Johnson. More than Marvin Harrison. More than Tony Gonzalez.

Bruce got written off way too early IMO... Why do you think the Ram's kept him around on his $4+ million dollar salary this year? Because he is still worth it.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby ngub12 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:56 pm

obviously i know that bruce is still a force as a WR. my concern was with his fumbles. he has been having significant problems with this. bruce is a better playemaker than curtis even at his age but i was wondering if his fumbling problems would cause martz to reduce his role.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Wolverine » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:40 pm

ngub12 wrote:obviously i know that bruce is still a force as a WR. my concern was with his fumbles. he has been having significant problems with this. bruce is a better playemaker than curtis even at his age but i was wondering if his fumbling problems would cause martz to reduce his role.

Martz won't reduce his role but Bulger may not try to force any passes into Bruce either. Curtis got 14 targets last week -- that's staggering. While I do not expect that trend to continue, I do think that it demonstrates that Curtis is now a formal part of this passing offense. Bruce is 2a and Curtis is 2B -- Curtis isn't a 3rd WR in the traditional sense. I think a lot of people are missing that.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:55 pm

Wolverine,
i was thinking along the same lines as you but then i realized the reason that Curtis got all those passes is because the rams threw the ball 50 or 60 times last game! They were playing from behind and had a lot of 3 and 4 wr sets. Curtis is the 3 or 4 reciever at best. Yes hes fast and can catch but Holt and Bruce are one of the best wr duos in the league. There is no way, barring an injury, that Curtis will take plays from Bruce or holt.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:54 am

Kensat30 wrote:
ngub12 wrote:kevin curtis. most of us are aware of this sleeper. he is obviously very talented and can put of some pretty good numbers if he was in a more involved role especially if he was a #2 on stl. obviously that could happen if holt or bruce got hurt. my question is do u think there is any chance that bruce will get pulled from the starting lineup in favor of curtis? this sounds crazy i know, but if u look back to last season, preseason, and even the game against the 9ers, bruce has had some recent problems holding onto the ball. does anyone know if martz has expressed anything about this problem of bruce's? basically i dont doubt bruce's talent but i do think his fumbles are becoming a problem and was wondering what the chances are of him being benched in favor of curtis. what do u guys think?

Barring injury, not a chance in hell.

Bruce had a couple poor seasons after Vermeil's Ram's fell apart and he was no longer the goto WR. But he has readjusted nicely as a complimentary WR to Holt and remains an extremely productive player. Last year rebound season didn't open very many peoples' eyes though, he still fell into the 6th, 7th, or later rounds when he should produce like a 4th rounder or earlier. He's over the hill right? Curtis is taking over? Bruce is basically the same age as Marvin Harrison...

And he nearly put up 1,300 yards last season. That's good for FIFTH overall in the NFL. More than Chad Johnson. More than Marvin Harrison. More than Tony Gonzalez.

Bruce got written off way too early IMO... Why do you think the Ram's kept him around on his $4+ million dollar salary this year? Because he is still worth it.

Not to mention Bruce (not Holt, Not Curtis, not MacDonald) is (from what I've seen) Bulger's 1st Read. Bulger prefers Bruce to Holt (it's actually been tossed around here at the Cafe). So Long as Bruce is the WR of choice for the QB of a Pass-Happy Team there will be room for him on my roster. I got him in the 8th or 9th (can't remember exactly) round in one of my drafts to be my #2 and was happy as h**l. That bein' said I'm havin' a helluva time tryin to decide between him, Branch, or Kennison this week.

Unless he gets hurt, Bruce is the Rams #2 (more like 1B).

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Wesley Walker » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:50 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:Unless he gets hurt, Bruce is the Rams #2 (more like 1B).

Well said.

It reminds me of when Tommy Maddox started the 2003 season pretty hot (for 3 or 4 games, at least) -- there was enough to go 'round between Plax and Hines Ward. Plax being more the big play guy; Hines the possession-type receiver.

Or last year's Colts. So much passing game that you had 3 wide receivers and at least one tight end who all were viable fantasy starts.

The Rams passing game is prodigous. We have Mike Martz to thank for this, clearly. And so even though Bruce will start until either the day he retires, or the day he goes the way of Jerry Rice version 20.0 and doesn't retire when he should.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Football Talk