Point Scoring for QB's - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Point Scoring for QB's

Moderator: Football Moderators

Point Scoring for QB's

Postby Tiki Fan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:26 am

There is a lunatic in my league who is complaining his head off since last weekend about the scoring system for quarterbacks in our fantasy football league. The point of his argument: he thinks that it is blatantly unfair for a quarterback to get six points throwing for a touchdown. Here is his rationale:

The only problem I have is with a QB getting the same for a touchdown as a WR. A QB has the OPTION of MANY to throw to several players on the field. Therefore, it is MUCH harder for a WR to get a TD than a QB. A QB should get LESS points per TD because he is ALWAYS going to be the one throwing the TD pass regardless of who is on the other end.

How does a QB get the same point total for a TD than a WR. The odds of a particular WR scoring a TD is MUCH MUCH more less likely than a QB throwing TD's to anyone on the field including WR's. No wonder Peyton Manning went first in this league's draft. If his throwing a TD is equivalent to anyone WR who catches it then of course he is going to be the top selection. In any other league picking a QB in the first round let alone with the first pick makes absolutely no sense. But with the scoring breakdown in this league it is a no brainer that Peyton should go first since he gets 6 points for every TD he throws.

QB's should get 3 points per TD and WR's 6 end of story.

This guy, who is a first year participant in our league but claims to have been in other leagues before, is acting like this point system (which is based upon the Yahoo defaults) is some unfair system that we came up with on our own out of thin air. He also acts like Peyton Manning isn't a first round choice in any other league besides ours.

I have repeatedly told him that a major flaw in his argument is the fact that EVERYONE has one, and only one, QB playing in a given week - and that everyone's starting QB has multiple options to throw to. But he still doesn't get it.

I should also note that he was nailed for 12 points last Sunday when his opponent had Delholmme threw a touchdown pass to Smith (both of whom were on his opponent's roster) and that he also has Favre as his #1 QB, so he might be frustrated that Favre's's top receiving threat went down for the season as well.

So, I'm curious - are there other fantasy football servers (like Sporting News, CBS Sportsline, etc.) that actually follow this guy's logic? Or is he really as crazy as I believe him to be?
Tiki Fan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:43 am

It's really preference.

4 or 6 points...it doesn't really matter as long as the majority agrees. One just makes QBs slightly more valuable.

Personally, I like 4 points. When it's 6 points per TD, those 5TD games from Manning HURT.

FYI, you CAN'T change it after the draft.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:08 am

I see no problem with giving 6 points per TD, provided you only give 1 pt for every 50 yards passing....

Lots of leagues do this.... It's TD heavy for QB's, and that's OK, provided everyone knows about the soring before the draft....

If you do decide to go with 4 points per passing TD, then I think you should give 1 pt. for every 25 yards passing.... Then scoring is yardage heavy for QB's, and again that is OK provided everyone knew about it before the draft....

I do kind of have a problem with offering 1 pt for 25 yards passing AND 6 pts per TD, though.... I think that scoring is too QB-heavy, and takes too much emphasis off of the performance of your other players....

I like to make the scoring for each position somewhat equal.... You figure a very good day for a QB is 300 yards passing and 3 TD's....

If you offer 50 and 6, then that's 24 points....

If you offer 25 and 4, then that's 24 points, as well....

24 points seems like a reasonable QB score to me if a guy puts up 300 yards and 3 TD's....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yrr » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:15 am

I prefer the 4 points per QB. Like Brutally said, those 5 touchdown performances hurt, and with 4 pts per TD it helps to even out the performances of positions.

That being said i am in leagues with both scoring systems and it doesnt bother me all that much to be in a 6pt per TD league.
Yrr
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby grover99 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:20 am

I play in leagues with both types of scoring. I prefer 4 pts for TD, but 6pts doesn't really bother me.
grover99
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterTrivia Time Trial ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Matthias » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:21 am

basically agree with what's been said. and agree with what your league member has been saying.

four points per passing touchdown is pretty common and for the rationale that your unsatisfied owner has stated; that the qb's will be racking them up. it's also why most leagues penalize you -5 points for a fumble, but only -2 for an interception, generally. qb's are going to have more opportunities to get td's and to's.

that all said, it's the manager's fault for not looking at the scoring system before draft day to figure out how to value the players. and if he relied on a generic draft guide that was based upon a different scoring system, then too bad for him. but if he wants to engage in a discussion for next season, i wouldn't put him down for it. and let the league decide. but that's... NEXT season.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby spodog » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:08 am

4 Pt TD for a QB vs. 6 Pt for RB/WR/TE is much more common, but after week 1 games are played is the wrong time to whine about it.

If everyone knows the scoring going into the draft then you factor that in.

A league with a 6 Pt TD for a QB would move Manning up into the top 2 or 3 in the draft for sure.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:29 am

This guy is bitching over nothing.

6 points per TD, 4 points per TD... it's all personal preference. Doesn't make THAT much of a difference because QBs are all so comparable.
---

I play in a league where QBs passing yardage is the equivalent to WR and RB yardage. As you can imagine, QBs dominant the scoreboard in this league. But it's not something I complain about, because everyone is in the same situation. Just adds another wrinkle to drafting strategy and you've gotta adapt your cheatsheet and roll with the blows. The Manning, Culpepper, McNabb owner didn't win my league last year btw, it was the guy who had Brees/Volek. Manning was taken #1 overall in my league as well.

Manning owner started JJ Arrington last week and lost his game to the Hasselbeck owner.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:15 pm

Sounds like this guy is laying down the groundwork for why it was okay for him to ghost on your league once his poor management is apparent, and find yet another different league next year. Don't spend a lot of time trying to soothe his sore rectum, you can't make him happy.

Scoring rules are the same for everyone, and so fair.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby jdogg_ffc » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:23 pm

moochman wrote:Sounds like this guy is laying down the groundwork for why it was okay for him to ghost on your league once his poor management is apparent, and find yet another different league next year. Don't spend a lot of time trying to soothe his sore rectum, you can't make him happy.

Scoring rules are the same for everyone, and so fair.

Just tell the guy all scoring changes will be discussed after the season.

I like 4pts better cause I can't see 18 out of 20 of the top pt. scorers being QBs but thats just my personal pref.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk