SF D or StL O-Line?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

SF D or StL O-Line??

Moderator: Football Moderators

SF D or StL O-Line??

Postby Andy1234 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:59 pm

SF had 7 sacks last week vs StLouis. Was that because of SF's D or StL O-Line? I know its a little of both, basically I'm asking if SF will continue to put up good sack numbers, and is StL going to continue to give up a bunch of sacks?
Stewie: [hitting on some co-eds] I must say, the most recent campus sporting event was quite spectacular.
Co-ed: Aw. Are you in a fraternity, little boy?
Stewie: Not yet, but I'm thinking of joining I Felta Thigh.
Andy1234
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:08 pm

I'm gonna say St. Louis O-line. They degraded last year when Turley went out, and Alex Barron isn't an immediate fix for that spot. Outside of Orlando Pace, I don't trust these guys to block well.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:09 pm

I really feel that SF's front seven is pretty tough. Plus they are being overseen by head coach Mike Nolan, a former Baltimore defensive coach. Some of the players were taught by Jim Mora Jr. before he left for Atlanta, and their defense is pretty good now too.

The one thing the Niners defense has been bad on for the last 10 or so years is the secondary. I don't understand why they are always bad there, but you could throw all day on them. It's tough to get around Bryant Young, Jamie Winborn, Julian Peterson, and Andre Carter. ;-D

But yes...outside of Pace, I don't think STL has a whole lot.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:38 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I really feel that SF's front seven is pretty tough. Plus they are being overseen by head coach Mike Nolan, a former Baltimore defensive coach. Some of the players were taught by Jim Mora Jr. before he left for Atlanta, and their defense is pretty good now too.

The one thing the Niners defense has been bad on for the last 10 or so years is the secondary. I don't understand why they are always bad there, but you could throw all day on them. It's tough to get around Bryant Young, Jamie Winborn, Julian Peterson, and Andre Carter. ;-D

But yes...outside of Pace, I don't think STL has a whole lot.

Agree with this assessment.

The Niner's were struck hard by injuies last year and you didn't really see the true Niner's D. You thought the secondary was bad last year? That's probably because our top two guys (Ahmed Plummer and Tony Parrish) were out for the year with injuries, not to mention our best defensive player as well(Julian Peterson). But now everybody is healthy and motivated. By no means will we be one of the top Ds in the league, but we are far from a bottomfeeder like everyone seems to predict (2-14 record tends to cloud people's assessment of the team).

Mike Nolan really inspires the troops, compared to Dennis Erickson who did nothing... Erickson didn't even teach our players how to play ball, he just stuck them out there on the field on Sundays, held a clipboard, and called himself a headcoach. Nolan went out this offseason and put together a real staff, led by solid D coaches including hall of fame linebacker Mike Singletary...

You should have seen us out there on Sunday, jumping up and down in between snaps, playing with fire. Most importantly, the AGGRESSIVE mindset to attack the football. Most of St. Louis' yardage came either on runs to the outside or out patterns because they didn't want to test our defense in the middle. They were getting shut down between the tackles.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:54 pm

One thing being overlooked here is the simple fact that when you drop back to pass 63 times, most of which came in obvious passing situations, you're going to get sacked a few times...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:46 pm

Free Bagel wrote:One thing being overlooked here is the simple fact that when you drop back to pass 63 times, most of which came in obvious passing situations, you're going to get sacked a few times...

Arizona QBs dropped back to pass 59 times, mostly in passing situations, and they only got sacked 3 times. And that was Kurt Warner with a horrible o-line.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby proKrastinate » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:39 am

Kensat30 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:One thing being overlooked here is the simple fact that when you drop back to pass 63 times, most of which came in obvious passing situations, you're going to get sacked a few times...

Arizona QBs dropped back to pass 59 times, mostly in passing situations, and they only got sacked 3 times. And that was Kurt Warner with a horrible o-line.

ooohh touché
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kilroy » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:24 am

It was a combination:

- the Niners' Front Seven has some talent. They were decimated by injuries last year. (I've always thought Peterson was a BEAST, he just can't stay healthy.) Their Secondary, however, gets burnt more often than my ex-wife's cooking. (Plummer has ALWAYS been a sucker for the deep ball, all the way back to his Buckeye Days.)

- The Rams were behind and had to throw all day, which is unfortunate when your O-Line is trying their best to emulate the Texans'.

Add it together, you get 7 sacks and a SF upset. We'll just have to wait and see if they can do it again in Philly.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Return to Football Talk