Michael Jenkins (not just another sleeper WR post) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Michael Jenkins (not just another sleeper WR post)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Michael Jenkins (not just another sleeper WR post)

Postby Wesley Walker » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:14 pm

What do people make of this guy? If Vick airs it out, I think Jenkins becomes a top-15 WR. But 23 passing attempts won't cut it. 12 completions definitely won't cut it.

Vick averaged 28 passing attempts per game in 2002. Last year, he averaged 21 per game.

I think some people may have this idea that since Vick has supposedly been trying to sit in the pocket to try and find the open receiver, his passing game has improved. It hasn't.

And the D looks good. And Warrick looks good. And neither looking good bodes particularly well for a WR stepping up to top-15 fantasy performance -- not with Mike Vick throwing to him.

Am I wrong? Please tell me if I am. I want to take a shot with Jenkins but, obviously, my better logic steers me away from him.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wesley Walker » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:17 pm

Vick before Monday night's game:
"I promise you I'll be a better pocket passer. I promise you that. They may take away my run if they want to split their ends wide and do that but I promise you, just watch, that I'll be much better in the pocket. I'll use my receivers better and make better decisions."

Vick Monday night:
12 completions, 1 pick, 3 fumbles, sacked 4 times

( I know it's just one game, and against the defending NFC champs.)
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby maddog60 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:43 pm

Jenkins will do better than Price I think, but I still wouldn't want him in my starting lineup on a consistent basis.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:44 pm

Jenkins has the talent and is really the only wide wr threat. But like you said vick doesnt throw that often and when he does it usually goes to Alge. I have him in one league and am going to hold on to him but im not expecting big things.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:25 pm

Vick is to inconsistent a passer for anyone but Crumpler to be a good FF start from the Falcons. I like Jenkins and think he has potential but he will never get the amount of looks the other WR get.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:51 am

Well, I certainly think he's worth putting on your watch list.

I don't think Vick will ever develop a reliable recieving threat, but rather have the occasional big play reciever. Jenkins is the best candidate for that role so 1000 yards on just 50 catches isn't out of the question. I wouldn't expect too many touchdowns, judging by the fact that the Falcons running attack is strong and Crumpler will steal many of the TDs through the air. Top 15 is not attainable in my opinion, but Jenkins could be worthy of spot starts. As I said, watch him.

P.S. I worked you in week one. ;-)
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wesley Walker » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:13 am

davidmarver wrote:P.S. I worked you in week one. ;-)

Indeed, you gave my geriatric, supper-and-bridge-club a right, good thumping. Perhaps you won't be so fortunate next time 'round, though, after C-Mart has taken his anti-aging hog's wart and Manning is clicking on all 12 cylinders.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to Football Talk