Do you want a REVOLUTION? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Do you want a REVOLUTION?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do you want a REVOLUTION?

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:50 pm

(shameless Nintendo fan plug)
Well, they finally revealed the controller for the newest Nintendo system, and it certainly is different, to say the least.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651301p1.html
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651559p1.html
TGS 2005: Revolution Controller at a Glance
Just want to know what it does and how it works? Click here. Pictures included.
by Matt Casamassina

September 15, 2005 - Nintendo on Thursday unveiled the formerly top-secret controller mechanism for its next-generation console, codenamed Revolution. The device bucks the conventions of previous controllers in favor of an entirely new interface -- one that's destined to for good or bad separate the Big N from its competitors once and for all. Personally, we think this thing has a lot of potential and we can't wait to see what Nintendo does with it.

Naturally, the big question on everybody's mind is, what exactly makes the Revolution controller so unique? Here's the answer. Revolution's controller is a slick, cleanly designed device that looks like a cross between a futuristic remote control and an Apple iPod. The unit is held in one hand. It interacts with included motion sensors (which are placed on the left and right sides of televisions) to become a virtual conductor, of sorts. It detects motions, angles, directions and depths in a realistic manner, offering more freedom and precision in games than ever before. Imagine sticking your hand in a 3D box and being able to input all of your movement in games and you've got the basic idea. The bottom of the controller features an expansion slot, by which a number of add-ons are possible. Nintendo demonstrated an analog stick, held the opposite hand, which is sure to help maker first-person shooters more intuitive than they have ever been before on any home console.

Features at a glance:

* Remote control design: constructed to appeal to a wide variety of potential players
* 3D Pointing: Sensors understand up, down, left, right, forward and backward.
* Tilt Sensitive: Controller can be rotated or rolled from side-to-side.
* Buttons Included: Has a trigger on its backside, face buttons, and a D-Pad.
* Multifunctional: Has an expansion port which can be used with different types of controller peripherals. Analog stick with two trigger buttons planned for left hand.
* Wireless: Totally wire-free. Currently there are no details on the max distance, source or power, or otherwise.
* Rumble Built-in. Included standard in all the controllers.

Because seeing is believing, we've included several pictures of the device in this story. Simply click on the images below for enlarged versions.

Stay tuned to IGNcube for more news on the exciting new controller. Check today's front page for several other updates, including updates on Nintendo president Satoru Iwata's keynote speech and yes, even hands-on impressions with the crazy cool new peripheral.

Any concerns I had was solved by the controller shell peripheal. This thing would KILL FOR FPS's. Whats your excuse now, PC fans? This thing owns as hard as a mouse. :-b Should rock for Zelda too. Would be pretty awesome for a baseball game too.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:52 pm

So wait...this is a controller that uses both hands independently??? That is awful weird! :-S

I was just getting used to the dang Gamecube controller, and now I have to hold two pieces of equipment at a time? This is going to scare a lot of people if you ask me. :-o

Oh, just saw the "put together" version...it's a little more normal. I'll take that. :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Manja » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:00 am

I'm not going to buy a Revolution, but the controller shell thing probably a sigh of relief for everyone.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:22 am

I've got my next-gen decision down to ps3 and revolution, and I like the controller but how is this thing any better for first person shooters? It still doesn't even come close to a keyboard/mouse in terms of freedom of movement and ease of movement, as well as control.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby awwchrist » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:25 am

Until you guys start playing with a keyboard and a mouse you'll just never understand the fluidity of PC fps.

Halo sucks.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:34 am

awwchrist wrote:Until you guys start playing with a keyboard and a mouse you'll just never understand the fluidity of PC fps.

Halo sucks.

Uh, I think most of us have played PC FPSes, so I'm not sure who that comment is directed towards?
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Manja » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:23 am

awwchrist wrote:Until you guys start playing with a keyboard and a mouse you'll just never understand the fluidity of PC fps.

Halo sucks.

Halo is a great game. Overrated a bit, but still a great game. And I've been playing FPS since they started being online. I have lots of experience with a mouse and keyboard. Nothing beats the old 'W, A, S, D".
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dirt Bag » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:13 am

i doubt ill buy the Revolution, but the one thing that could sway me otherwise is the fact that for a quarter a piece you can buy ANY other game from ANY past Nintendo system,
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:19 pm

Halo sucks.

Well put. ;-D Only console FPS' I've ever really enjoyed were Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, mainly because that was before I had a game-capable PC.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Ironhorse75 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:00 pm

I love it. It's about time we see some innovation on the market. We really do need more than just a graphics upgrade every 5 years.

On the frontpage you can check out the Controller video demonstrating how it may be used. I especially like the FPS demonstration. That would be awesome in Silent Hill using the remote as a flashlight and using the analog portion to move yourself around.

http://www.gametrailers.com/

Halo sucks.

Definitely. Some of my friends are Halo freaks and are always talking about how much better they are than me.

Back in HS before Counter-Strike blew up with these world wide tourneys I used to roll with the best clans. Many of which are the most dominating teams these days in those tournaments.

So I showed some of them how I roll on the computer games and they now say "give him a mouse and keyboard and you wouldn't even stand a chance". I cannot stand playing FPS with controllers.

It's ridiculous how serious those tourney's are now, they actually contract players, and even have major sponsors like nVidia.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Video Games