LT--BS - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

LT--BS

Moderator: Football Moderators

LT--BS

Postby Where's Ryan Leaf? » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:51 pm

Did anyone get a shot of this? From Yahoo's little news and notes thing:

Sep 16 After watching rookie Darren Sproles pile up 171 returns yards on four kickoffs and two punts, the Chargers would like to get the backup running back some increased touches. "We're going to try to give him the ball a little more on offense," head coach Marty Schottenheimer told the San Diego Union-Tribune.
Views: Considering their most valuable player, running back LaDainian Tomlinson, only got 19 touches on offense in week one and was virtually ignored in the fourth quarter, we didn't think Sproles would be the guy the Bolts want to use more. It's likely that the Chargers want to get the diminutive Sproles some looks in the passing game, which would of course limit the number of receptions L.T. collects. Tomlinson didn't record a catch on Sunday for the first time in his career.

You're kidding me, right? You have the best weapon in the league, you fail to use him effectively in week 1 and now in week 2, you want to throw in his 5 foot nothing replacement. Is this Schottenheimer or Tice we're talking about?
"I love me some me"
Where's Ryan Leaf?
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:13 pm

last week two other zrbs got 5 of the 24 carries last week. Why not give those 5 a week to Sproles?
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Where's Ryan Leaf? » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:20 pm

When you have a guy like LT, he should get 24+ carries per game -- after that, I could care less who gets the touches -- the Planters Peanut could carry the ball for all I care. Schott should be saying, "hey, we've got LT. We lost a close one b/c we didn't use him enough. Maybe we should use him more." Not, "hey let's try this short guy who returns punts well."
"I love me some me"
Where's Ryan Leaf?
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:50 pm

I beleive I started a thread like this a few weeks ago and caught alot of crap on it...I am an LT owner myself but this Sproles kid is lightning in a bottle. He would make a wicked 3rd down back.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... ht=sproles
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby holler03 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:13 am

Nah this wont be nothing. Sproles will just be a breather for LT. Trust me, im fron San Diego. LT is still gonna be the go-to guy, this means nothing, hes only gonna be a breather after LT breaks long runs ;-D
holler03
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The_Captain » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:18 am

Just as long as Marty isn't listening to Dicky V and the goofy mess he's created in KC......Thanks Dicky V for fowling up my Priest Holmes pick....thank god I've got LJ.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:14 am

Darren Sproles and LaDanian Tomlinson shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

Sproles is fast. Woo Hoo. LOTS of guys with his speed have come and gone in the NFL w/o amounting to squat.

LT2 is the best RB in the NFL. Period. Anyone who argues that point is either suffering from Homeritis or Vision Problems. <Runs from Horde of Angry Disagreers>

If Schitenheimer (yes, I know how to spell his name) doesn't know how to best utilize one of the top 5 players in the NFL at any position then he's even more senile than I thought.

And B4 you ask, yes I remember Sproles from K-State. He has tremendous potential as a KR and someone to "spell" LT. But LT2 is the man. Marty's gotta understand that. Not Brees, not Rivers, not Sproles, not Gates, not McCardell, not Caldwell. Give the Ball to Tomlinson and good things will happen for the Chargers. Everything else just compliments him.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby davidmarver » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:24 am

Michael "The Burner" Turner is a better runningback than Sproles. I'd rather see him get the touches.

However, when you have LT there shouldn't be a question about who gets the ball...it's obvious. Or so I thought... :-?

Damn Marty. Image
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wesley Walker » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:15 am

That's horrible news. I'm dropping LT2 in all my leagues. Maybe I'll pick up Lee Suggs or Chester Taylor.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby maddog60 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:03 am

I don't think Marty doesn't understand it. No matter how good your RB is, you don't get anywhere by literally giving him the ball 100% of the time. Say LT breaks off a 50 yard rush. He's just been dragged down, he's a bit tired, well you give him a play or two breather and bring in Sproles. Saying you're going to give a guy who had 0 carries some more work with the offense does not mean RBBC.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk