Matchup Misconceptions -- FWP and LT - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Matchup Misconceptions -- FWP and LT

Moderator: Football Moderators

Matchup Misconceptions -- FWP and LT

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:07 pm

I've seen a lot of hype this week surrounding Fast Willie Parker and LT in regards to the matchups they're facing, which I'm just not seeing. I'm big on both as players, but I just don't see why their matchups this week are getting so much hype.

First, Fast Willie vs. Houston D. People are talking about this game like Fast Willie is playing the Titans again. The Tennessee and Houston run D's aren't even on the same plane.
The Skinny: Houston has allowed just 1 rushing touchdown in their last 14 games.

Second, we've got LT vs. that putrid looking Denver team. Yes, Denver looked bad last week. Yes, even the awful Miami O put up points on them, but it was mostly through the air and Miami still struggled to run against Denver's LB's, which are the strength of their team.
The Skinny: Denver hasn't allowed a 100 yard rusher at home in over a year, since Priest went for 100 in week 1 of 2004.

Now, I'm not saying don't start these guys (obviously LT is a must start every week), but temper your expectations a bit, and don't be surprised if they don't go for 150/2.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:29 pm

Good info. I don't agree with the must start attitude about Parker. Yes, he had a big game, but we've seen too many flukish scores for me to understand why so many people want to bench proven star RBs for Parker.

Now, LT I disagree on a bit. I think Denver's new DL (see Cleveland's old DL) is much worse, and will help LT as he'll get a great push up front and good block leads to good ypc.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Matchup Misconceptions -- FWP and LT

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:31 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I've seen a lot of hype this week surrounding Fast Willie Parker and LT in regards to the matchups they're facing, which I'm just not seeing. I'm big on both as players, but I just don't see why their matchups this week are getting so much hype.

First, Fast Willie vs. Houston D. People are talking about this game like Fast Willie is playing the Titans again. The Tennessee and Houston run D's aren't even on the same plane.
The Skinny: Houston has allowed just 1 rushing touchdown in their last 14 games.

Second, we've got LT vs. that putrid looking Denver team. Yes, Denver looked bad last week. Yes, even the awful Miami O put up points on them, but it was mostly through the air and Miami still struggled to run against Denver's LB's, which are the strength of their team.
The Skinny: Denver hasn't allowed a 100 yard rusher at home in over a year, since Priest went for 100 in week 1 of 2004.

Now, I'm not saying don't start these guys (obviously LT is a must start every week), but temper your expectations a bit, and don't be surprised if they don't go for 150/2.

Traditionally, Denver is the only team in the NFL that is semi-consistently able to shutdown LT. Anyone hyping this as a good matchup is out of their gourd.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby UNDEFEATED » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:23 pm

awesome info on Houstons D FB.

I have been recommending away from Parker myself in the WTS forum.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:24 pm

this years Houston Defense is no where near what it was last year. They lost 2 of their starting LBs which will most defintely hurt their run defense. while i dont advise starting parker over stud rbs hes still a great start this week with that monster o line and all the carries he will be getting.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PSU All Day » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:39 pm

It is not the Houston D that is the issue, it is the Offense vs Pittsburgh. I think Pittsburgh is going to man handle that offense and then run the ball to protect the lead.

I see this as arelatively low scoring game but see a lot of yards for FWP.

Now, I wouldn't start him over say, Priest Holmes, but I would over K Barlow, S Davis and LJ!

I think it is going to be a long day for DD owners tomorrow as well.
"There are Lies, Big Lies, and then Statistics"

"Value Based Drafting is your friend!"
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby holler03 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:40 pm

You can count on LT rebounding back from last week's performance. It was his first actual game, and I still can't believe they didnt involve him more in the 2nd half. With Gates coming back, its huge for LT.

Hes gonna have a great game at Denver, 120 rushing yards, 60 receiving yards, 2 Touchdowns.

27-20 Chargaaaaz ;-D
holler03
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Pete123444 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:51 pm

I disagree with your Parker vs Houston defense of the last 14 games. I would start Parker over about everyone this week. I could care less if they have some invisiible STUD stamped on their foreheads or not. If you bench Parker this week that's your loss. He's starting on any team I have. I have one league where I can only start one and SA will be on my bench this week. I guess we will see tomorrow if I lost points or not.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Vanter » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:02 pm

holler03 wrote:You can count on LT rebounding back from last week's performance. It was his first actual game, and I still can't believe they didnt involve him more in the 2nd half. With Gates coming back, its huge for LT.

Hes gonna have a great game at Denver, 120 rushing yards, 60 receiving yards, 2 Touchdowns.

27-20 Chargaaaaz ;-D

Hmmm...Your prediction seems a bit inflated. I don't see LT coming close to those numbers. Here are a few facts that you can chew on.

Bagel has already mentioned that the last RB to rush for over 100 yards against Denver at Mile High was Priest Holmes (Week 1 of 2004).

Last time that LT was in Denver his stats were 60 rushing yards, 10 receiving yards, and 0 TDs (Week 3 of 2004). His performance in 2003 at Mile High was even worse. In fact with the last 8 times that LT has faced Denver, he's only rushed for over a 100 yards twice.

So it's hard for me to get excited about LT having a huge game when the past shows that LT doesn't fare too well in Denver. If this game was in San Diego, I could see for better numbers.
Vanter
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Paladyr » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:29 pm

good info. thanks bagel!
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Next