Rules Question- big argument in our league. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rules Question- big argument in our league.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rules Question- big argument in our league.

Postby Carnac » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:49 pm

One of our teams picked up Rothlisberger and then dropped him on the same day. The next morning he was a FA and not on waivers. Some of the guys are complaining that this isn't right. What is the rule?

We are in a yahoo league and have a 2 day waiver rule.
Golf nut
Carnac
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:55 pm

Just out of curiosity, why are people arguing this isn't right? Also curious, when did this happen? Yesterday?

I don't play Yahoo fantasy football anymore but when I did play it I remember a team doing this with all of the major QB talent left on a Friday. The reason being he didn't want his opponent to pick up a QB as his only QB on his roster was having a BYE that week.

Pretty sleazy.

I would seriously question the reasoning as to why the person did that and why other managers want him to go through waivers.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby FatFoot » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:25 am

There could have been a waiver pickup period, meaning Ben wasn't officially on the team yet. Dropping him could have just put him back as a FA as though nothing had happened....
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby matmat » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:26 am

this is something that yahoo did a year or two ago. It is a good thing.

Players that were picked up and dropped the same day do not go on waivers, but remain free agents.

The purpose of this is to prevent one dumbass owner from picking up and dropping all reasonably useful players whereby preventing others from picking them up. if you want to withhold a player from others you have to use a roster spot on them. makes sense, no?
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:28 am

The QB who was picked up and then dropped should have gone into waivers IMO....However you have to be wary of people Adding/Dropping just to "Tie Guys Up" on waivers. Benefit of the doubt, the guy picked up Big Ben and was scared off by his injury. Worst case, he's up to no good and you should call "shenanigans".

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kilroy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:29 am

matmat wrote:this is something that yahoo did a year or two ago. It is a good thing.

Players that were picked up and dropped the same day do not go on waivers, but remain free agents.

The purpose of this is to prevent one dumbass owner from picking up and dropping all reasonably useful players whereby preventing others from picking them up. if you want to withhold a player from others you have to use a roster spot on them. makes sense, no?

Yeah, it does. I wish NFL.com did it that way too.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Carnac » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:44 am

I agree it is a good thing. I understand the reasoning behind it. Thanks for the responses. One of the teams in the league was raising a big stink about it. I will show him this post. My answer was it keeps a team from prohibiting someone else from picking a player up for that week.
Golf nut
Carnac
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Football Talk