Examples of Great or Successful Teams...Who are yours? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Examples of Great or Successful Teams...Who are yours?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:04 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:I think the New England Patriots epitomize what it means to be a successful TEAM.... It's one thing to go out and buy up all the talent out there and have success (see the New York Yankees).... It's an entirely different matter to go out and build a cohesive unit that works like a well oiled machine through shrewd personnel decision-making and premium coaching....

The New York Yankees haven't "bought up" all the talent until recent years. In 1996, they were not filled with stars making millions and millions of dollars, but instead they had great team players, like Paul O'Neil, Wade Boggs (probably their biggest star), Charlie Hayes, Tino Martinez, Bernie Williams, and emerging stars like Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter. Just recently has the boss started to spend a ridiculous amount of money on his team...
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guru13 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:18 pm

Redskins Win wrote:The first Joe Gibbs era Washington Redskins.
And hopefully the second one will define sucess.

Nice to see you posting here again Slow. ;-D
im not extremely new here, bbut i hav'ent been here as long as some of you, ie:slow, redskins, etc. and it seems to me like slow left or sumtin for awhile, and everyone wanted him to come back...i never even knew he existed sadly, but i would like to hear the whole story, because he seems to have quite a reputation around here.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:01 pm

Championships best define successful teams and no team I've ever seen has come close to what De La Salle high school's football team here in the S.F. Bay Area did for a decade.

Here are some mind numbing statisitcs about De La Salle's team.

151 Straight wins

Bob Ladouceur has been the De La Salle coach since 1979 and his record speaks for itself-287 wins and only 15 defeats.

During “the streak”, Ladouceur’s Spartans beat opponents by an average of 38.2 points. 8-o

De La Salle had won four straight USA Today National High School football championships.

Just frightening numbers when you consider the streak lasted over a decade. Success can be defined many different ways, but I think every team will agree that winning is the biggest sign of success, and no team I've ever seen has ever been more successful than De La Salle football.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:12 pm

Best college basketball team of all-time? I'm thinking Larry Johnson, Stacey Augmon, Anderson Hunt and the rest of those Runnin' Rebels. They were downright dominant before Grant Hill and Duke beat them.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:15 pm

I don't like Duke or UNC they just are succesful teams in the NCAA.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:14 pm

I really hate to say it...but the Braves do a pretty dang good job of being a successful team. They do bring in a few names every year, but this year they have used 3-4 rookies who have stepped right in and helped the team win. It all starts with good general management who finds talented people and coaches that coach them right from the beginning. The players produce, and they become successful.

Personally, I think it helps to be in a program that is known for success also. It gives a player confidence.

They've won something like 13 (going on 14) straight division titles, so it is hard to not mention them in this thread...even though I hate them. :-P
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:42 am

Was this thread who is the most successful? Man, y'all have a pretty narrow view of what I would call successful. All the aforementioned teams I would definitely call successful, and many others. I would call teams like Tennessee(college) successful too. I think the Packers are a successful team. Look at their fans, that's what makes them successful. I think any team that can give their fans something to chear about or look forward to is successful. After all, that's what it's all about. Right?
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to General Talk