Baltimore's Defense?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Baltimore's Defense??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ChyBoy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:37 pm

I understand what Plindsey is saying but on the other hand if their opponents are droping back that much I would expect that they would have alot more than 1 sack and 1 turnover.
ChyBoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:40 pm

Pete123444 wrote:Didn't you call S McNair and his Tenn Titans a "powderpuff matchup". Now you're trying to sell it as a tough matchup?

I would also submit that Green Bay is a pretty nice match-up for a defense, as well.... Does that mean that if Brett Favre goes out and puts up 350 against someone that that defense is automatically suspect? No, it doesn't.... It just means that, at times, hall of fame quarterbacks show up to play.... Even ancient ones....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ChyBoy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:41 pm

I understand what Plindsey is saying but on the other hand if their opponents are droping back that much I would expect that they would have alot more than 1 sack and 1 turnover.
ChyBoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:43 pm

ChyBoy wrote:I understand what Plindsey is saying but on the other hand if their opponents are droping back that much I would expect that they would have alot more than 1 sack and 1 turnover.

Historically speaking, Steve McNair is one of the toughest quarterbacks in the NFL to sack.... Prior to Mike Vick, he was considered to be THE toughest QB to bring down in the backfield....

And Peyton Manning has been the least sacked QB in the NFL for the past several years....

And neither of those QB's is known for throwing a whole lot of picks, either....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:22 pm

Pete123444 wrote:lol well those are factual numbers not an opinion.

here's another Baltimores D is ranked 21st against the pass?

And before you say it, Jacksonville played Indy too and they are ranked 8th against the pass.

Are those factual numbers based on the NFL's inherently severely flawed ranking system? You know, the one that ranks everyone based on yards, a ranking system that could be improved if a retarded lab rat randomly ranked teams?

Fact is they are consistently amongst the top teams in fewest points allowed, and that is what truly counts on defense. Right now that defense has only let up 16 and 17 points in their two games. Their offense sadly has let opposing defenses get 7 and 9 points respectively, so the numbers are already skewed against this defense which is still playing at an extremely high level. Last year, only 6 teams finished with less than 17 points per game scored against them, and the Ravens already dealt with their worst matchup, the Colts.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:27 pm

You know it's the beginning of the end for a franchise when they sign FA Kordell Stewart before the start of week 2...

Seriously though, at least Baltimore has a bye next week and then their schedule is cake for a few weeks after that. Might be able to salvage a playoff berth and put up some good stats at the same time if they can rebound.. I would expect the defense to improve simply because the offenses they face are very poor and Jamal Lewis and the offense will have some time to regroup and focus.

Tennessee's strength is it's offense... and it doesn't help when your punt team is on the field more than your offense either. Of course hindsight is 20/20, but may we should have seen this coming.. Baltimore's offense looked terrible in week 1, and they looked even worse in week 2.
Last edited by Kensat30 on Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Pete123444 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:29 pm

Yeah they were 6th best in points against last year too, thx.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby MadScott » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:42 pm

I kind of threw the BALT defense in as a sell high last week as an after thought. You would need to hold them now after this stinker.

I think there is a combination of things that are going against them so far. First, I dont' think you can underestimate the loss of Nolan as DC to the 49ers. Add to that a switch to the 46, a new defense for them, and I think you can see why they perhaps have struggled a bit with scheme so far.

Also, I think Hartwell may have been a bigger loss than first realized. He's played well so far in ATL and I think that they've missed his added presence in the BALT lineup.

I also don't care how good your defense is, if your offense can't stay on the field and sustain any type of drive, you are going to tire and allow scores by any team in the NFL, the league is simply too competitive.

Finally, for some reason too, they just don't seem to have "it" right now. Ray Ray and Co. don't quite seem to have the same swagger. He himself looks a bit off this year. Again, can't put my finger on it, but something just isn't right there. It's early and they can turn it around but there are definitely some distressing signs there.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:22 pm

MadScott wrote:I also don't care how good your defense is, if your offense can't stay on the field and sustain any type of drive, you are going to tire and allow scores by any team in the NFL, the league is simply too competitive.

This is so true. I wonder if it could have some cumulative effect over say.....alot of years. When was the last time they had an offense? Brian Sipe?
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:32 pm

Pete123444 wrote:
MadScott wrote:I also don't care how good your defense is, if your offense can't stay on the field and sustain any type of drive, you are going to tire and allow scores by any team in the NFL, the league is simply too competitive.

This is so true. I wonder if it could have some cumulative effect over say.....alot of years. When was the last time they had an offense? Brian Sipe?

Their offense is just horrible and it's making the defense tired. 88 rushing yards TOTAL in 2 games is beyond pathetic. Look at the box scores and drive charts. It's just ridiculous. The defense is just wearing down. They ran 20 plays in the whole first half yesterday on 7 drives. 3 and OUT every time except the 1 was only 2 plays that Lewis fumbled.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk