Will Fast Willie get goal line carries when the bus returns? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will Fast Willie get goal line carries when the bus returns?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Will Fast Willie get goal line carries when the bus returns?

Postby bd0493 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:17 pm

To me, that is the question.

There is no doubt now that Willie will get his 20-30 carries a game, and likely the 100 yds that come with being the starting RB in that awesome running game.

However, as we all know, TDs are what make a fantasy running back. Do you think Willie will get his when Bettis comes back?

Cowher seems very adamant about him being the starter, maybe he will only put the bus in in 3rd and 4th and 1s and goal line situations from the 1. If he keeps Willie in when the ball is on the 3, 4, 5 yard line etc. I will be ok with it, and I think Willie will be a top 8 RB.

So- very simple question- what do you think?
bd0493
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:20 pm

I don't think this is really even a question. I think Bettis gets the carries when he comes back no doubt. He's one of the best down there, and he came back this year just to play that role.

That said, as a Fast Willie owner, I don't really care. The guy has put up the numbers he has thusfar (300+ yards and 2TDs in only 2 games) WITHOUT A SINGLE CARRY INSIDE THE 5.

He certainly has the ability to rack up double digit TDs this year on TD runs all longer than 5, maybe even 10 yards.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Carnac » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:23 pm

Bettis will get the carries in the Red Zone once he is healthy. Parker might still produce good numbers depending on your league scoring system.

Good luck
Golf nut
Carnac
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Re: Will Fast Willie get goal line carries when the bus retu

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:30 pm

bd0493 wrote:However, as we all know, TDs are what make a fantasy running back. Do you think Willie will get his when Bettis comes back?

Jerome will get the ball inside the 5.... No question.... If for no other reason than the fact that Cowher and the management talked him into playing 1 more year, and they're going to make it worth his while...

Aside from that, though, there is no doubt that Jerome can pound the ball in for a TD from the 2.... Why risk your new star back, who also happens to be a little guy, by asking him to do the dirty work from the one?

It won't happen.... The Bus owns the goal line and will continue to do so until he retires....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby benm3218 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:30 pm

FWP doesn't need goal line carries to be productive. His runs will most likely be from 10-15 yards out and still get the TD's.

I think it helps him to not get goal line carries and stay healthy as a result. Goal line carries are tough hard yardage, I don't want my star pickup getting. Dangerous to have those carries, and he'll do very well without them.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Pete123444 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:33 pm

Carnac wrote:Bettis will get the carries in the Red Zone once he is healthy. Parker might still produce good numbers depending on your league scoring system.

Good luck

Inside the redzone? no. Bettis will get the call on thirds(or 4ths)and less than one and inside the 5 on first down, inside the 3 on 2nd, and inside the 2 on third. Duce Staley will become the third down back probably in week 5. Although he may play some this week.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:43 pm

Willis Parker is a stud.

Pittsburgh is a new team with this guy... Fast Willie has put gaudy stats up against crappy defenses(except for eliminating Buffalo from the playoffs in week 17 last year) but this guy is for real. He's busting home runs, breaking tackles, moving the chains. He's a do everything RB. That is the definition of a stud.

I'm betting that neither of Staley/Bettis are making any major impact on Parker when they come back. Parker has earned himself the starting job and he's gonna keep it because of the simple fact: he is the best RB on the roster. The Bus will probably resume his role at the goalline area, Staley will proably spell him somewhat, but look at how effective Tiki Barber still is with Brandon Jacobs in the picture. Parker can still easily get 20+ carries a game with Staley/Bettis healthy, and that is enough to make him a top10 RB.

I feel sorry for the people selling "high" on this guy right now, can't you see a stud in the making?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:51 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Willis Parker is a stud.

Pittsburgh is a new team with this guy... Fast Willie has put gaudy stats up against crappy defenses(except for eliminating Buffalo from the playoffs in week 17 last year) but this guy is for real. He's busting home runs, breaking tackles, moving the chains. He's a do everything RB. That is the definition of a stud.

I'm betting that neither of Staley/Bettis are making any majorof impact on Parker when they come back. Parker has earned himself the starting job and he's gonna keep it because of the simple fact: he is the best RB on the roster. The Bus will probably resume his role at the goalline area, Staley will proably spell him somewhat, but look at how effective Tiki Barber still is with Brandon Jacobs in the picture. Parker can still easily get 20+ carries a game with Staley/Bettis healthy, and that is enough to make him a top10 RB.

I feel sorry for the people selling "high" on this guy right now, can't you see a stud in the making?

Let's not start jerking the guy off just yet.... Keep in mind he has not faced a truly stellar defense yet.... Or even a decent defense, for that matter....

Let's also try to keep in mind that Chris Brown was in this same position last year, and now you couldn't pay me enough to start the guy....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:56 pm

As a BIG Steelers fan I have been following this pretty closely. Here is my take on how it will play out when all 3 are healthy.

I see Willie as the main guy. (20-25 touches a game.)

Duce the 3rd down back to utilize his pass catching skills and screens. (7-12 touches a game)

Bettis the short yardage and goal line back. (3-6 touches a game)
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:14 pm

I think it will be dead even between duce and willie, and bettis getting about 5 or 6 carries.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk