See Mike Vick run........................... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

See Mike Vick run...........................

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:49 pm

This is my opinion on Michael Vick... we in the fantasy football world tend to get tied up with passing yards and touchdowns and thats pretty much it. Yeah he turns the ball over a little more than he should and yeah he makes some decisions that have some negative "real world" impact but the truth is that hes a lot like Randy Moss.

What do I mean by that? His sheer presence on the field, the threat of his running ability makes defenses change the way they play and that quality is what makes him good. I don't like Michael Vick, and I don't think hes a good QB but its that other quality that makes him a decent NFL qb.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:54 pm

Gnu314 wrote:What do I mean by that? His sheer presence on the field, the threat of his running ability makes defenses change the way they play and that quality is what makes him good. I don't like Michael Vick, and I don't think hes a good QB but its that other quality that makes him a decent NFL qb.

You are right in that his rushing threat is bigger than anyone else, the game plan for stopping Vick is unique. But here's the problem. The blue print for shutting Vick down is as follows:

Don't pass rush. Let him sit in the pocket and throw the ball.

I see an inherent problem with that, as Vick is masquerading as a QB.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ricky_Christ » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:00 pm

I think he'll develop into a great QB if he doesn't get himself killed first. :-D

On that subject: is there any useful info about his injury yet, or is this just another Vick bashing post?
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:16 pm

Yea, I'm not a Vick fan but he was gettin beat up pretty bad.

My vote for best performace while being injured has to be B. Leftwich.

At the end of the IND game he was limping to the line during the 2 min drill.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Re: response

Postby schnuelle07 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:28 pm

maddog60 wrote:
bruuno2 wrote:Mike Vick=Kordell Stewart.Face it .It's true.And i never drafted Vick.And never will ;-D

Not as eloquent as I'd put it, but true. ;-D

no way is Vick on the same plane as Kordell. Without Vick the falcons would only win near 5 games. I don't understand why people bash vick because he doesnt light up the fantasy stats or doesnt always make the Manning like throws, and audibles. This guy is a winner. Plain and Simple. He wins games. Single-handedly. He doesnt have a top-tier RB, he doesnt have a single good WR, unless you count Crumpler as a WR. This guy wins. Why don't critiques acknowledge his improvement and his adoptation to the NFL and the new offense implemented a year ago. He has improved as a passer, and he has always been a winner. What else do you want, besides a guy that will carry your fantasy team to the championship?
Thanks to da1chipo for the sig
schnuelle07
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: response

Postby Ravens_101 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:59 pm

[quote="schnuelle07"][quote="maddog60"][quote="bruuno2"]Mike Vick=Kordell Stewart.Face it .It's true.And i never drafted Vick.And never will ;-D[/quote]

Not as eloquent as I'd put it, but true. ;-D[/quote]

no way is Vick on the same plane as Kordell. Without Vick the falcons would only win near 5 games. I don't understand why people bash vick because he doesnt light up the fantasy stats or doesnt always make the Manning like throws, and audibles. This guy is a winner. Plain and Simple. He wins games. Single-handedly. He doesnt have a top-tier RB, he doesnt have a single good WR, unless you count Crumpler as a WR. This guy wins. Why don't critiques acknowledge his improvement and his adoptation to the NFL and the new offense implemented a year ago. He has improved as a passer, and he has always been a winner. What else do you want, besides a guy that will carry your [b]fantasy[/b] team to the championship?[/quote]

Out of evryone who responded I would say your is the best. It is true.
Ravens_101
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:41 pm

the problem is, there are other qb's who are also "winners" and ones who are actually better at playing the position.

manning, brady, mcnabb, culpepper, farve are unequivocably better than he is in terms of winning AND in terms of qb rating/passing what have you.

I could also say that big ben and delhomme are better in the win sense, big ben is what as a starter now? and delhomme has been to a super bowl. vick has really only won two playoff games, that isn't really that much of a winning pedigree.

being a top 8 qb isn't really THAT good, its only in the top 25 percent -- and relative to his hype, I think its far to say that he is overrated.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby footballchick23 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:39 pm

I think people freak out because he doesn't sit complacently in the pocket and make huge passes. He is athletic, mobile, and doesn't conform to the typical QB stereotype. Different, yes...a good fantasy QB, no. People can't figure him out because he's different and it pisses everyone off. God forbid someone raise the bar on the athleticism of the QB position. Hate all you want...he'll have his day.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:47 pm

good post -- howver its kidn silly to make it like no one has seen anything like this.

I swear, I love football and only like baseball, but at least baseball fans have a better sense of history.

I mean randall cunningham was awesome. Since then, you had daunte and donovan, one is more like a tank, the other is a porsche. Granted, vick is like a ferarri, but hopefully you get my point.

Obviosuly, philly fans and vikings fans, and mcnair to some extent know that "running qb" is a pejorative. But in all reality, all of vick's predecessors figured out how to run an offense, vick still stinks at it. And trust me, it took donovan an eternity to shuck the label -- and he was winning games before his stats reflected his worth.

But it seemed to me like the other guys "get it" -- and for what its worth, vick isn't nearly as big as the other guys. he simply is going to have to learn how to throw, or he is going to be the allen iverson of the nfl.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

response

Postby bruuno2 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:55 pm

footballchick23 wrote:I think people freak out because he doesn't sit complacently in the pocket and make huge passes. He is athletic, mobile, and doesn't conform to the typical QB stereotype. Different, yes...a good fantasy QB, no. People can't figure him out because he's different and it pisses everyone off. God forbid someone raise the bar on the athleticism of the QB position. Hate all you want...he'll have his day.

No, i don't think people get freaked out because of his style of play.Your wrong there sis.Were tired of getting him jammed down our throat every year by the media! ;-D
Dan Marino......Greatest QB of all time!You sure did own Canton!
bruuno2
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk